Planet of the Apes (Franchise)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by emf3rd, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Seven movies, two tv shows, and spanning several generations, it's one of the greatest movie franchises of all time.

So, what's your favorite out of them all? And why?

Personally, I love them all. However, I can't wait to see the sequel to the reboot that just came out. I think they did a fantastic job with freshening it up for a new generation and I really hope it turns into another well made series of films.

2. IMO Hands down the original. However, I did enjoy the Tim Burton remake and the most recent remake. I hardly watched any of the shows, never read the books, and I never saw Battle for the Planet of the Apes(think I should see it?). I never liked Escape from the Planet of the Apes, I enjoyed Conquest, and I thought Beneath the Planet of the Apes was nearly as good as the first.

3. The original is always fantastic, without a doubt.

Beneath was always my favorite of the original series though (I love the idea of the Atom bomb and the mutants and such)

Escape was just whacky and fun, I liked it.

Conquest was really intense which I really enjoyed.

Battle... Most people will say skip it, but I think it's at least worth a view. I mean, you've seen all the others, why not? It doesn't really add much onto the series, but it does continue the story in a believable (is this series believable?) way.

I thought the Tim Burton remake was pretty good, and wouldn't mind if they had continued it from there. But for some reason it never fully sat right with me. Not sure why, but just something about it always bugged me a tiny bit. I thought it was a good movie though!

Rise is amazing. Can't wait for Dawn! Gary Oldman, woohoo!

And yeah, I've never seen either of the tv shows or read any of the books. No real desire to anyway. Maybe I'll check out the tv shows sometime, they both were pretty short lived.

4. The original is my favorite by far. A harsh criticism of humanity's flaws in a sci-fi medium easier for people to digest. I have fuzzy memories of the sequels as well as Burton's remake. As for Rise, I have mixed feelings. I feel like the message is more pretentious but I suppose it's fairly well-done for what it was going for. I did enjoy it however my favorite parts were the references.

5. #5 Zenghrila, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
    Great list of options. :cool:

I didn't realise there were two different sets of tv shows. I've probably seen both, after a quick lookup says they followed each other one year after the other. Don't recall the shows well at all, though.

As far as the books... I've never read the original book that Rod Serling took & ran with, though. I keep meaning to do that.

The original film with Charlton Heston will always be my personal fave. Didn't care for the Tim Burton edition. The recent Rise was a very good fresh take on it, though. I dug that one a lot.

It really is a great franchise. :smoking:

Edit: Just looked up more on the two tv series. Apparently the second one was animated. I haven't seen that one at all. Wow! There's a lot of monkeyness out there!

6. Original by far for me. I did like Rise tho, thought it was a great start to a new series of movies.

7. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes trailer;

http://www.movieweb.com/news/dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-trailer-is-here

This is the movie I was waiting for.

Before Rise came out, I had many expectations for it. I had no idea where it was going to go, but I went in expecting an action packed thrill ride. Instead, I walked out with probably the best movie experience I've ever had in a theater. When Ceaser said 'No!'... The whole place went silent, I could feel the tension in the room. So intense... I loved it a lot.

But now, the sequel Dawn comes out. And this is where it starts to get messy.

As much as Rise was a 'kind of' remake of Conquest, Dawn seems to be a 'sort of' remake to Battle. The plot is this; a decade since the first film, the disease has wiped out almost all of humanity. As the apes grow and evolve, peace between them is short lived, and soon an all out war will determine who is the dominant species on Earth.

I. Can't. Wait.