Plan My Future Grow Box.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Got Milk, Jan 5, 2010.

1. #1 Got Milk, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
    Hey all!

Im planning out my future grow box, but before i buy anything for it i want to run it past my favourite group of stoners =] Here is my Gutter Cab -
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anywhos, im considering lighting atm. Im living with my parents and don't really feel it fair to charge up a high electricity bill so i was thinking cfls/Leds although ive now been informed (thanks chickadie) that using enough Cfls to grow 3 plants would cost just as much as a 250watt Hps..

Help please?

Here is what i was thinking?
    Its 2 of these for $84
    [​IMG]

Aussieponics! Australias Own Hydroponic Supply - Complete systems here! - 2 x 225 LED GROW LIGHT PANEL BLUE/RED LAMP FOR HYDROPONICS! DOUBLE LEDS!!! (Powered by CubeCart)

And Here is a Cfl kit..$117 for this one all up.

[​IMG]

Measures: 4.5" tall x 23.5" long x 7" wide, Comes with two 6400k High Output T5 bulbs and i could order 2 2700k as well for an extra $12 (2,000 lumens per lamp, 4,000 total lumen for this fixture).

High Tech Garden Supply

Ill update this thread as i find each one of my major items :smoking:

2. Something to think about when you go to CFL's. 3 plants will require a MINIMUM of 160-watts of light - preferably 300-watts of light.... your parents bill will be the same whether you run 10x 26-watt CFLs (260-watts) or go for the 250-watt HPS ballast. The difference is that your yield will be better with the HPS.

The grow box you are talking about having would be approx 5 sq feet, which means that you need a MINIMUM of 10000 lumens - with 1200 lumens per bulb, you need a minimum of 9 bulbs... which again brings you right back to around 250-watts of light to reach that kind of lumens with standard CFLs

I went to that HTG link and they don't talk about how many watts those bulbs are - but you'll need 3-sets to get to that 10,000 lumen mark (that will take you to 12,000 but one less would leave you short at 8,000 lumens)

So - while it's REALLY great of you to consider their electricity bill -- going with CFL's is not going to save your parents any money on their electric bill.

3. Don't grow in your parents' house without their explicit knowledge and consent. You put them at risk.

4. #4 Got Milk, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
    Toastybiz: My mother knows that i am growing/going to grow =]

Chickadie: Oh i did not even think about that... I do intend to have 2-3 plants, ive actually found my growbox! 27inch tall x 22inch wide x 15inch deep here -

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/525099-new-grow-cab-progress.html#post6424579

How many lumans will i need to succesfully grow 2-3 smallish plants in this sized cab?

And how much better is HPS compared to MH ?

I was thinking about these -
    29500 lumens.. $130 HPS

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/250W-HPS-HYDROPONICS-ALUMINIUM-LIGHTING-KIT-GROWLUSH_W0QQitemZ320470518369QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Seed_Starting_Hydroponics?hash=item4a9d880a61#ht_3704wt_958

$130...24000 Lumans MH -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/250W-MH-HYDROPONICS-ALUMINIUM-LIGHTING-KIT-GROWLUSH_W0QQitemZ230396296762QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Seed_Starting_Hydroponics?hash=item35a4b07e3a#ht_3530wt_958

5. well the size of your grow box actaully elliminates HID (HPS & MH) as a good choice. They're too hot for that compact space.

For that space (i'm gonna consider it a 2sq ft space) you'll need 4,000 lumens - but for 3 plants you need the minimum 160-watts (6 x 26-watt standard CFLs will give you about 7,000 lumens) so, your wattage requirements will take you above your lumen requirements (which is GREAT!). Ideally, you'd have closer to 100-watts of CFL's per plant - but your space is quite small (was that picture of the cabinet in the original post? if so - i missed it, sorry)

If you were going to go with just a single either HPS or MH bulb, I would do HPS. The MH is preferred for Vegging, and HPS for flowering - and in combination together they work best....... but if you can only do one - I'd recommend the HPS ------- but again, in your space it would be far too hot.

6. Yeh my grow box is roughly 21 inches wide x 30 inches tall x 14 inches deep...

Oks i thought HPS might of been a little warm, i was doing my study on them last night :p

Well i currently have 75watts of flowering cfls. All wired and ready to go... I was thinking if i add this to my collection of bulbs it should be sufficient enough to grow 2 plants?

$109 - for 1 x reflector, 1 x lamp holder, 1x 100watt 2700k bulb, 1x 100watt 6500k bulb, 1 x flower and veg nutrients..

Aussieponics! Australias Own Hydroponic Supply - Complete systems here! - FLURO KIT + NUTRIENTS COMBO (Powered by CubeCart)

7. That kit looks okay... but I think you could probably do better if you did some DIY stuff.

Check this DYI reflector for instance (it's about $4 - made from heating & a/c duct) I have a similiar one - but his pictures are better

[​IMG][​IMG]

The problem with 1 bulb - in my opinion - is that you want your plants to be 2-3" from the CFL -- with 1 bulb, you can't get 3 plants that close.

This would be my shopping list if I were going to do this myself -- and I'd go to lowes

6-pak of 2700k CFLs - $10
    4-pak of 6500k CFLs - $10
    1-heater duct - $5
    5 - socket adapters - $10
    5- socket splitters - $10
    TOTAL @ Lowes: $45.00

You'll also need a power strip (or 2) and I already had them, so i'm not sure how much they cost.

Then I'd go grab the Fox Farm trio of nutrients ($40.00) - you can get online or at local store if you have a FF distributor in your area. You can do the research though and find cheaper nutes that other people are using.

You're at $85 will of that - not including the cost of 1 or 2 power strips, if you have to purchase those.

8. Ahh i see.

Well i just got payed so i got a bit of cash to work with XD

I live in australia and i know they dont sell stuff that they do in america, its much more limited here.. But i will head over to a couple of hardware stores and the such and work something out =]

Thanks for all your help so far.. Stay tuned for more updates :D