Plague in big greenhouse plant

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by fredcann, Mar 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Hi Friends, I found this on some flowers this morning.

Is a giant more than 13 feet tall plant in a greenhouse in soil.

Could anyone suggest what to do? As you can see flower are not far from harvest.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. #2 BrassNwood, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Your plant is Infested with Caterpillars.
    Bud Worms.
    Rip off the dead and dig just under it and find the Caterpillars.
    It is likely to late to save her.
    Caterpillars get in when the buds are forming and are to well protected from the BT to eat some treated leaf.
    The moths have been laying eggs in your plants every night from the day the first buds started to show. What you have now are thousands of Caterpillars ranging from a fraction of an inch up to some full inch long monsters.

I lost my first big outside grow to the little bastards. After harvest hanging they started to pour out by the hundreds hanging from silk. The buds will all be full of Caterpillar shit and every dot of shit starts a mold patch.

BT Thuricide.
    Bacillus Thuringiensis
    This is a bacterium. The cattie must eat part of the treated leaf, It forms crystals in their gut and they starve to death.
    Not a conventional chemical poison. Destroyed by sunlight in a few hours it's Organic rated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apply once a week every week in flower.
    Running a bug zapper nearby helps a lot.
    [​IMG]
    Grills chopped out so I can brush it clean each morning. It's also my gauge on how bad the moths are.

BNW

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. If your not you should be spraying with Potassium Bicarbonate to keep the Powdery Mildew in check.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sorry to see that. Listen to BnW, he has his finger on the pulse for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks for your advice BNW, good info.
    I dig and open all of them in the lab. No caterpillar presence. Not in one.
    Some other friends and forums suggest is Botrytis Cinerea, a fungus...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ruling out critters, it does look like fungus/rot to me. Here's a pic of mine at a beginning stage. You can see the leaves starting to turn. If you peel back and look "into" the bud, is there anything that looks milky or brown?

2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nope. I get them despite my spraying and there is ALWAYS a live Caterpillar where there is a dead top like that. You didn't dig him out is all. Plant green unless he is wiggling you'll miss him.

[​IMG]
    Every dead spot had one.
    [​IMG]

@SitnSpin
    Lets call in the other Expert on farming Caterpillars.
    Brother Spin runs a Caterpillar Ranch like I do and he knows his Caterpillar Shit as well or better then I do.

Trust me on this one. That IS Caterpillar damage. there is ZERO doubt. Google it.
    Cannabis caterpillar damage - Google Search

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  9. [​IMG]
    This is Mold / Botrytis, Soft and mushy

Catty damage is hard, stiff, and sun dried.. Just like yours
    If you have Moths at your porch lights you've got worms in your buds.
    If your not spraying to prevent them you have them. It's a real simple equation. Unprotected Cannabis outside is like a free candy van to Moths.
    Those dead tops and buds should pull free with very little effort showing a near chewed through stem.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

10. Thanks Again Bro. I might have different things. As you say this is soft, when i dig i kind of undones..... here some more pics.. thanks

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Again Bro. I might have different things. As you say this is soft, when i dig i kind of undones..... here some more pics.. thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ewwwwwww that doesn't look good. Mix of both possibly. The caterpillar shit forms a mold point and is frequently the start of the Botrytis. All that needs to be removed taking care not to spread it and cross infect other plants and buds.

Use disposable gloves and scrub well with a harsh cleanser before getting near the plants again. Treat it like Radioactive waste. Dip tools in high % alcohol between cuts to help keep things clean.
    ISO, Denatured, 190 proof grain Alcohols all will work for this.

Bag the debris as you go. Burn, bury, high temp compost heap disposal.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
  13. Yupper, catties then mold from the poop. I'd bet you have some humidity going in the greenhouse too. That turns the crispy cattie damage into a soft wet slime. Mold will range from fuzzy white to gray/ black. If you begin with the ipm at the sign of the first hairy dots of flowers you can do a descent job keeping them in check.

They are my greatest enemy!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  14. I saw some webbing on one of the pics also, any chance of spider mites also contributing?

15. My wife wants me to stop growing indoors and only harvest once a year outdoors when we get a green house. This is my nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. My condolences. I’ve had this happen on two outdoor grows. Caterpillars are awful! I had high heat and humidity plus rainy season. I’ve been cursed with caterpillars even on indoor grows. I now spray with Monterey BT spray. It’s organic and works pretty good. I use it now even if I don’t see caterpillars. Sorry about your grow. It really sucks. I can’t stand those little fuckers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. This may seem to simple, but I hope you are looking at all this through a magnifier.
    10X minimum.
    During flower, I spend some quality time out in the greenhouse with a jewelers loop daily.
    I just chopped my winter grow because I thought I saw a spider web. I looked through magnifier and saw a bejillion tiny spiders. Didn't see any damage yet, but they weren't there the day before.
    I immediately chopped and submerged the branches in a peroxide/water bath. Trimmed, hung to dry = no more spiders. The plants were starting to reveg anyways so.... phtttt.
    I'll hose down the greenhouse with ISO before I get up and running again.

18. #19 rightsideup, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    It's definitely Botrytis.
    Besides too much moisture and humidity, One of the biggest causes of this is caterpillars that burrow into your buds. Besides allowing openings for the mold to enter, the caterpillar poop and damge will help mold to form.
    Other nasty little critters can also aid this along by damaging your plant and basically shittung all over, making it more susceptible to bud rot.

You need to control the temperature and humidity, and fresh with and pest problems.

You can usually see bud rot way before it gets that bad. Look for sugar leaves that look wilted or yellow. Pull on them or open up the cola there. It is often the first sign that singing in wrong inside.

Sent from my phbgf uijj tplkjn