Pistils?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Thadrought, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Is it common to have some white pistils left on the buds when you cut? Or do you wait till their all amberish lol? I have been looking at trichomes and 2 of the three plants trichomes show about 70 to 90 percent amber. But the buds still contain some white pistils

2. Yes. Some cut when all of them are white.

3. I never go by the pistils. It is the trichomes you need to be watching.

4. I've been watching trichomes I just don't recall there being white pistils lol. But thanks for the posts gentlemen!

5. Varies between strains, but generally, you don't want to harvest with mostly white pistils.. You want to wait for them to turn and recede back into the calyx. This isn't accurate with all strains, but a majority.

6. Why ar you going on about pistils, forget about them. TRICHOMES YOU NEED TO WATCH TRICHOMES..forget about the hairs>>

7. ^^ this is good. To tell you now. Some strains pistils are white when they are fully mature and ready to harvest still.

Go by your trichs and calyx's. They for the most part wont lead you in the wrong direction.

8. First person to get it right :metal:

9. Any chance you boys could help me with one more thing. As my ladies are hanging, The stems are starting to bend and snap when I bend them, but not snapping in half. Should I dry some more or begin curing you think? I've done all this before but shit your, your own biggest critic some times

10. fuck the trichomes......when the pistils turn red and start receding then harvest

11. [quote name='"FresnoFarmer"']fuck the trichomes......when the pistils turn red and start receding then harvest[/quote]

Don't listen to this terrible advice. I just grew out a white widow whose pistils never changed colour......they remained snow white right up to harvest in week 10. I also had some strains that were almost all red trichomes by week 5 of flower.

12. you dont know what you are on about, idiot.
    I wouldn't like to smoke your shitty weed.:smoke:

13. [quote name='"FresnoFarmer"']fuck the trichomes......when the pistils turn red and start receding then harvest[/quote]

Such a troll lol

14. Hiya, I start curing when the stems nearly snap. If you wait until they snap then the window for a good cure is smaller.
    Hope you get a good smoke..:hello:

15. OK, glad the intelligent majority worked out that pistil thang!!!
    As ShovaBlaster said (Hey ShovaBlaster, how's it going?), many widows will stay white.
    Many Kushes will (FluffyKush had one; I had a Hawaiian Kush cross that did; see my sigpic). The old school Matanuska strain is notorious for this & even states in the strain guide - IGNORE THE PISTILS!!! Well, don't totally ignore them... if they are changing it's a damned good signal to check the trichs.

Drying and curing - I have found that if I wait for stems to snap before starting the cure, the bud has probably dried out too much to get an optimal cure. I go through several stages - first hang to air dry and evacuate all outer moisture, then into a bag to sweat & bring more inner bud moisture out, then air dry (maybe a day, maybe an hour - touch it). Once the outer bud stays dry to touch for a day in the bag, I go to plastic containers. Fill them but don't pack them. Check daily for moisture buildup, and air dry when you find it - won't take long, sometimes a couple of hours, sometimes 15 minutes. If you ever detect the slightest hint of ammonia or cat piss smell, they need more air.
    After I've gone several days without having to air dry anymore it's into glass for it's final home, but still checked weekly.

A very helpful hint - save a handful of the immature popcorn buds off the bottom of your grow, put them in a jar and freeze them. If at any stage in drying & curing you over-dry, put a couple of the green buds in with the dry and let them sit in a sealed container overnight. Does wonders to restore the bud quality with almost no risk of introducing mold.

Hope this helps, bestaluck to ya!

16. Hey Olde School, good to see ya. I'm well, been super busy and not on the site much now that my grow is done. I finally got around to submitting my first strain smoke report from my first harvests bough , if ya care to check it out it's in the smoke report section :)

Hope you are well too, and also glad that reason won out on this thread. Some great advice on here :)

17. Kevin, this is the second thread I've seen you try and Highjack, including my grow journal. This is not a good way to get people to help you out.....post your issues in the sick plant/problems section or start your own thread rather than derailing/cluttering up other people's threads.

18. i got you im not tryin to highjack ur journal just new to grass city forums and i dont have workin computer so using this site on my phone is a pain in the ass to go thru stuff and ive accitdently posted and double posted unwanted things but they perfectly healthy and wasnt tryna be a jew MY BAD just seen this said pistils so i thought id try to post my problem since i have no friends on this site but sorry no pun inteaded, just smoke a joint and chill im a newbie to the site now i know not to post my problems on your problems but for the record my girls aint sick just 1 is premature pistiling but thanks for letting me know people where prolly getting pissed with me ha Again my bad

19. but still saying that the best time to harvest is when the trichromes are a light brown amber and straight up still not when they black almost and dropping or still white and clear

20. I also take offense to the "I don't want to be a Jew comment", as racism is not tolerated on these forums. The mods read everything here and you won't last long at this rate.....read the forum guidelines and show a little respect and you will have a lot more "friends" and people who comment on your threads.