Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Pipe cleaning... with a twisted question

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by meliorhex, Jan 15, 2014.

1. I have read the threads about cleaning one's glass pipe with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Luckily, from experimenting with a bit of the ol' herbal alchemy, I have a ton of it sitting around. The pipe I am referring to is about a year old, used every day, and has NEVER been cleaned. Used to be a clear pipe. Now completely brown, with a near half inch puddle of goo in the bottom of the bowl.

So last night I filled up a Mason jar half way with alcohol and submerged my pipe in it. Started changing into a yellowish colour immediately. Today I went out and saw that it is a deep, dark, scary looking brown.

My plan is to eventually take the pipe out, use a funnel and a couple of coffee filters to transport it into a glass dish or pan and then let the alcohol evaporate slowly and naturally, or put it on a warmer to speed up the process slightly.

I have no idea what this process will actually yield and recognize it will probably be something gross, but there is a chance that it will have a purifying effect and turn all that resin into something that might be decent. I'm mostly doing this for my own interest.

Question: Has anyone here actually tried this? Does anyone know if the resin left over has any value whatsoever?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Its going to be as good as any other resin

3. It wouldn't have any purifying effect, as you're just evaporating off the iso, leaving all the resin and other gunk behind.

4. Don't use the resin for anything that's nasty. Take the piece out, scrape out as much resin as you can, get a hose and blast water as hard as u can into the mouthpiece and the resin will shoot out. Try blasting water into the bowl and carb too. Tried this with a super dirty bong and the resin came right off super easy. Also, it can help if you put the piece in a bag with alcohol and rock salt and shake it up, try getting the salt inside the piece it will scrape off resin. Toke up!

5. The gunk is being filtered. If there is anything good, it should be in the brown alcohol. When the alcohol is evaporated, something should be left behind. That is what I am interested in. It may be smoke-able. Or it may just be junk. We shall see...

6. Whats left will still just be resin. Ofc its smokeable.

7. I'm interested to try it. Probably a good 50 or so different types of weed, hash and oil have been smoked in that grimy thing.

8. Let us know how it goes