Pink Floyd Movie: The wall

Discussion in 'Movies' started by TokeDaily, Jun 16, 2010.

1. quality, a nazi band, 1st time i've ever heard them called that :p

take it your not a Floydian :ey:

im not sure if its allowed to link but if you have a look at wikipedia's page on
    Pink Floyd the wall, that'll help explain what the albums about.

2. i watched it trippin on *#%@, its crazy.

3. listen to the album and get a good understanding of it. then watch the movie with a very open mind. may take 2 times to start getting it.

enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fucking excellent film. I have to say I was getting a bit worried when I saw this wasn't in "best films to watch whilst high"....

Funnily enough, Floyd were very anti drugs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Thin Ice is hella sad 'cause the kid kept getting rejected. :cry:

6. ahhhhhh one of the greatest albums of all time :hello: and a great movie to go with it :p

7. bottom line is roger is a genius. im reading nick masons autobiography, lots of cool stuff. cant wait to see this live next month!! :D

8. I've heard people say pink floyd is anti-drug when Syd Barret was know for doing LSD and the song 'comfortably numb' is Roger Waters while he's on tranquilizers.

9. Can wait to see Roger Waters perform The Wall this month....gonna be sick.

10. #30 NFloyd2357, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
    nah, the movie is about what the album is about, which, mostly, is roger waters life. its about the loss of his father at war, and mainly, all the events in his life that built up his "wall," that secluded him more and more from reality and the outside world. as he becomes more secluded by the wall, he becomes more disillusioned with society and reality. at one point he flips his lid and goes nuts (in both real life and the album). the moment he lost it in real life is what inspired him to become a recluse and write "the wall." He lost it at a large arena show where he got pissed thinking nobody was really listening, threw his bass off and spit in the face of a fan, running back stage afterwords. he realized then that he had lost it, and began to dismantle what had sent him in that direction, largely by writing it all out in "the wall."

just saw it. best.show.ever.

lol... no they weren't. you could just listen to their music, but heres a clip that'll help show ya too

heres a short clip from "Pink Floyd: Live in Pompeii" (best live video ever btw)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dPpPWQmlMA"]YouTube - Pink Floyd Pompeii Interview[/ame]

although gilmour does say they aren't drug oriented... with an evil smile!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFslIWgyS4"]YouTube - Pink Floyd: a drug-orientated group?[/ame]

i had to write a short story based on "The Wall," and Water's life senior year of high school. ended up published in the high school paper, and from there, published in my state's big newspaper! needless to say i've known too much about pink floyd since high school

11. yes sir, junior year is when i actually discovered pink floyd. since then i was set on learning everything about them, and music during that era. also great vids!

12. i HIGHLY recommend you watch the whole "live in pompeii" video. if you only see the performance of "echoes," then even that is enough - but try to find the whole video, with the interviews and everything - its absolutely amazing.

13. #33 Echoes of Floyd, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010

second this ^^^ :rolleyes:

have you ever discovered the meaning of Echoes???

14. I just watched The Wall (1982). Wow. Some parts made me cry, some made me laugh, some made me scared. I don't know how to describe it and the experience is so overwhelming that to this moment I am crying. If your gonna watch it, watch it while stoned. I did. I'm glad I did. The way the entire film starts out leaves you with a sense of over-riding futility as you feel your soul being cleansed for the film to setup room for the film to leave its mark. It starts out with the song Flesh playing as a group of populous breaks down a chain locked door, symbolizing pinks apartment lock as an unknown entity breaks it down after unlocking it. Images of warfare and (the death of Pinks father) leaving you with memories of Heavy Metal. Minus animated warfare. It than moves over to a heroin filled Pink sitting in his apartment, on the path to slow overdose. He watches TV with the metaphorical wall built to block his path from meeting any sort of emotional balance. With the goal of absolution and ambition destroyed. It is further stomped in with the feeling of a salt covered wound as Pink flashbacks his overbearing mother and self-centered, sex depriving /deprived as well, Wife who he reflects on to his teacher's wife which is further the cause of his teachers aggressive mannerisms. Which Pink despised as an isolated spoiled child in the UK. The film heads in a direction of seemingly to me unimportant flashbacks as Pink a child. The film switches between this and Pink stoned and shot up from heroin. As he tries to communicate with reality, the wall grows larger and larger. Than the shot goes to a graphic scene of Pinks wife cheating on him. Causing Pink to slowly grow in rage as he knows. How he knows is not explained and I would rather not know how for I do not feel it contributes such a contribution that would be necessary for the movie. He in jealousy invites an american groupie to his LA apartment, where he shuns her to the confines of awkwardness as he watches TV. She tries to approach him after speaking about how nice his apartment is and attempts sexual contact which ultimately fails. Pink distraught and emotionally detached stands and continues to completely destroys his apartment to shreds and attempt to hurt the groupie in anyways possible. He than continues to throw a TV out a window peaking over the back room facing the city of LA. Disturbing yet peaceful lays a city of sorrow and entertainment. Pink walks over, purposely grabs a ledge causing his hands to be pierced by glass surrounding the window. He than screams facing death in its purest form. For he has mentally and physically died. There is no point in life. Pink than sets and organizes the rubble in an orderly fashion in a fit of cleanliness. The next shot is Pink sitting his usual Chair watching a broken TV barely playing fuzz and images, blood hyper realistically drips to the floor as he watches in emotionless OD. More childhood flashbacks appear and another WW2 one. But than he builds the wall. He cuts his phone line, locks up his apartment, goes to the bathroom, shaves all the hair off his body and his face, and continues to watch it bleed. He goes back over to the chair and watches TV. An animation depicting flowers as an analogy for sex it explains how childhood oppression and sexual deprivation causes him to lose his mind, as well as any form of innocence. The world is nothing but dull nothingness that no one should have to endure. The next scene is a group of managers and paramedics that come in to find him OD'd, they inject him with adrenaline agents and stuff him into a limo, a last ditch effort to make him preform-able. Pink than hallucinates, imagining himself as a neo-nazi dictator. Imagining the concert as a rally. He than has another sex fueled flower trip. Than a compilation of past events in the movie are played, more trippy visuals and a sequence depicting rape violence and almost a flashback to the harm that was the holocaust. Pink is filled with glory as he sits and watches over the events he has caused. Images of maggots, death, and school. All play while he lay completely dull in the limo. Another animated hallucination of him being prosecuted by more sex deprived anthropomorphic "body parts." He is then trapped inside an animated wall. The next scene is of kids picking up rubble from a riot. The fate of Pink is up to the viewer to decide. Just as most of this movies message is. Now me being a fan of Pink Floyd, I think this movie is absolutely fantastic, all that philosophy and social science placed heavily on the viewer to empathize with Pink. That's where I think this movie hits most. The empathizing. The large feeling of isolation that we all know all drugs are, I may support psychedelics as an acceptable form of recreation and entertainment. But just as life itself and any activity. It comes with recourse. The feeling of isolation, that being alone and high hold is unbearable. And it really shows how one trip can hold a lifetime of answers and questions. The movie also depicts warfare in a correct fashion. Gritty, unnecessary, violent, shameful, and sad. Watching the war sequences especially made me angry and sad. To see that it could even happen. It really helped me understand the reality of violence and war, and how awful it is. But just as anything it is necessary for it resolves and keeps things in balance. The movie approaches the viewer with a very familiar scenario. I personally felt as if, I was Pink. Re-watching it on 2 tabs of (Lysergic Acid Amide) LSA. This was when it really all made sense. Sitting watching the screen the movie had an all new meaning. This time it was how the government effects citizens and how other events play out to unfold tragic events. Sort of like the butterfly effect but instead of a butterfly its a gunshot. The visuals you get while watching the animated sequences are amazing. The one I found most overwhelming, is the famous image of a face screaming as it tries to escape the wall, a face morphing out of broken bricks. The symbolical wall break. The feeling of outstanding victory, glory, and guilt rolled over me. I couldn't help but cry I was so happy. Another scene that really hit was when Young Lust plays and it's a scene about how, in most well lets face it stoner relationships. It seems like women manipulate the man to get whatever they want. As the man is slowly encompassed in regret, isolation, and depression. As Pink is isolated from his wife, I felt slowly enlightened as it was 1. Killing Pink, 2. Slowly fixing the issue. There was nothing to do but wait out the experience. Poor Pink. Never the less a fantastic trip and its a journey I never wish to recreate as I feel it would spoil it. I feel I have fulfilled the best experience ever. I fully recommend it to anyone. Watch it while under the influence of certain substances though. Positive Vibes stay stoned my dudes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. But again that is just my synopsis of the film.

16. The movie does a good job of translating the album.

• Like Like x 2

17. True story! First time watching this I'd had weed alcohol and mkat didnt understand it at all and I'm a hardcore Floyd fan lol, second time round is tonight I've been smoking weed/drinking and had codeine you have to watch this film a few times round to enjoy it, I suggest drinking/smoking and having codeine to get the full experience :smoking-banana:

18. Does anybody here remember Vira lynn :love-m3j::love-m3j:

19. It's about a lot of things. In general though, just what it feels like to be in a world where most people are Low-Level robotic reptilians and you really have to question what you're fighting for and why you're fighting for it and if anybody's out there. It's a story of an inner struggle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The film is trippy AF when you've had weed and unmentionables ;):laughing: