Pineal gland.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by HighHaze, Mar 1, 2009.

1. i have so much curiosity when it comes to this gland.

this was something interesting i pulled form wikipedia, just thought i'd share

"StudieStudies suggest that in rodents the pineal gland may influence the actions of recreational drugs, such as cocaine,[19] and antidepressants, such as fluoxetine (Prozac),[20] and its hormone melatonin can protect against neurodegeneration."

its also called "The third eye" or the "seat of the soul"...also Regulates our sleeping patterns, and we dont even know WHY we sleep in the first place. so much mystery involved with this gland.

since the pineal gland is the seat of the soul.....i have this theory that maybe our pineal gland is a direct communication purposely given to us by our creator to keep "in touch" with him. if this is the case though, the only flaw is that he mustve forgot that humans had the ability to interfere with that communication...

2. i saw a video on youtube (ill try to find it later) that said that Tibetan monks believe that the soul of a person is given to this person 49 days after conception (don't remember the number of days for sure though lol). and scientists say that a person's pineal gland is fully formed 49 days after conception as well. go figure

3. so weird.....i really am starting to believe that this gland is our connection with the higher being.

im sure that some people have more active pineal glands than others, so maybe how spiritual we are is predestined?

4. or maybe you can train it like a muscle :D

and yeah, i really like to think that there is more to people than we think there might be

5. While I find this whole Pineal gland talk very interesting (especially that 49 days after conception thing, that's NUTS!), I thought there was a scientific reason as to why animals sleep?

I remember watching some program on the human brain that said sleep was basically a chance for your brain to "clean up" a bit... I'm not really doing it justice but they talked about why you begin to hallucinate if you're sleep-deprived for too long; your brain's sort of messy...

6. screw the government man, we dont need to sleep

7. You need to sleep. The pineal gland regulates REM sleep, and is as far as we know the reason for dreams. You don't sleep for a long time, you get REM rebound IE: more dreaming. You NEED to dream- we just don't know why

8. YES!! Rick Strassman!!!

"DMT: The Spirit Molecule" was the book he wrote on this.

DMT is released during REM sleep, during birth, the 49th day after conception, and at Human Death. "The Seat of the Soul."

Quite a helluva experience to smoke it... It helped me form my views on reality.

9. My theory on dreaming;

When you go on vacation and leave your home unattended, and come back, if you were to notice it was broken into, things missing, shit destroyed, you'd phone the police and get things straightened up right?

Well, think of it in terms of brain chemistry.

Our brain scans over chemicals and neurons, etc, and makes sure they're all in balance.

If not, they "phone the police" or produce dreams, and straighten out our chemicals, such as less dopamine, more dopamine, etc.

Explains the term "go sleep it off."

It's basically helping ease your subconcious thoughts.

Ever wonder why you wake up with your eyes watering?

It's because your crying, crying is a way we release stress, the body even does just that... even while asleep.

10. I would love to try DMT, hopefully sometime in my life i'll have the great opportunity to embark on such a spiritual journey.

11. good theory man!

12. Bump Bump, More people need to discuss this Seat of the Soul.

13. The pineal gland is the key to astral projection and consciousness and exploring non physical reality and seeing through the veil.

The bitches up top don't want you.

That is why our national water supply is fluoridated. Consuming fluoride calcifies the pineal gland. That is why, despite the thousands of studies and evidence showing fluoride is harmful, the govt insists on poisoning our water.

14. Sometimes, when I'm going through an episode of Schizophrenia or just randomly in a trance induced by whatever means... I get to thinking about the way things are run.

And something tells me that all the big corporations and big bad government upstairs are really really really lifted, I mean running life just absolutely blazed/psyed out of their minds!

I can see it, with all the trippy commercials, new technology, etc.

I mean back then it helped influence alot of advancement, and now we're just magically exceeding what historians have theorized in a matter of 20 years?

I dont know, I'm looking at my xbox 360 right now and just amazed at how trippy the thing is, same with my computer speakers and furniture.

I don't know, but maybe they are in tune with the higher power or conciousness... and they just don't want the majority to know because they know what we don't.

I don't know, science is pretty elaborate, maybe the big picture of planet earth is really complex and conspiracy as well.

15. I heard one reason for dreaming is to forget and remember things. Your brain gets rid of useless information and retains the useful. Supposedly this could be an explanation of what you see when you dream too. I saw this on the series on discovery about the human body and their explanation was obviously much better.

16. How? It just doesn't send it to the recycle bin and delete it. Nor e-mail it to a friend.

So that explains why I dream about inflatable cars and my house being a wax candle with the wick lit melting, the events that happened in real life that aren't essential are being wiped from my mind.

I like my theory, it explains things more.

Ever had a bad dream about your parents dying or something really valuable being broken?

You wake up and you're all :) it's still there, I appreciate this so much... Your brain's way of balancing it out.

I dont know how the brain just "gets rid" and what the hell is "useless" information?" If it's in our minds, it must have some purpose, otherwise it wouldn't be there.

17. Its not an easy thing to explain but i will try. It is also not fact as far as i know and im not saying your theory is wrong. But i would think useless information would be 90% of what you see during the day(everything you saw on tv, what color shirt your friend was wearing) Your brain might not get rid of this information but it does "file it" and it also files certain things that are more valuable somewhere else. When your brain is processing this info you dream about it?? I'm trying to find a clip on youtube for it but my comp is being a homo and i can't hear any of the videos for some reason. and no its not muted this has happened to me before.

Hopefully this might be it though:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASf55cov5F8"]YouTube - Lucid Dreams on Discovery Channel[/ame]

18. I agree with the idea that the pineal gland is the seat of awareness and DMT is the biological catalyst - the intermediate between biology and the metabological. Sleep is said and I agree to be needed to re-energize the being's primordial energy. Biological energy comes from food, existential energy/life energy comes from being in a state of existence that is closer to the existential energy. Most people and animals are lost in samsara and delusion, always thinking, always disconnected from the whole and rooted firmly in their illusory selves. Sleep is necessary in large quantities for such people. With increased meditation in ones life, and the general increase of lucid awareness instead of conditioned response and thinking - resistance to the moment - sleep need is reduced as the primordial energy is being less used and more restored and recharged. Enlightened beings - Ramana Maharshi, Shiva, Nithyananda, Ramkrishna Paramhans, who are fully established in the existential consciousness, have been known to sleep no more than 1-2 hours a day. Dreams express our suppressions, and also serve to induce possible informations into our consciousness which would normally have been received by us had we been in a state of lucid awareness, but are not and therefore enter us in our least resistant state - sleep.

19. you dream because whilst dreaming, your brain essentially "files" all the information it took in that day. Most of the info will get stored in the subconscious, but your brain will do the work and figure out where each thought and memory should end up. It "cleans out" your brain so it doesnt overload and its ready for the next day. If you've done acid, then you know what im talking about when i say "overload"

20. I just watched Dr. Strangelove and cannot stop laughing.

General Jack D. Ripper: "A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works. "