Pinching/pruning top of plant at the beginning of flowering

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Toke"N"Chill, May 21, 2006.

1. I would like to hear any and all opinions on pruning/cutting the top of the plant off before flowering. I have read where some folks do it to prevent the plant from growing taller. Doing this is supposed to divert any energy used for growing taller to the budding/flowering process. This sounds sensible, but I would like to hear from you more experienced growers. Thanks in advance for your opinions...

2. Before flowering is the time to consider this, as your question asks, but not at the beginning of flowering as your thread title asks.

Reasons in favor are that it is believed to increase yield by increasing the number of tops and that it keeps the plant short, a necessity for many indoor growers. Main reason against is that it slows the plant down as it has to recover from the injury and now has two tops instead of one to develop. In addition, some believe it is insane to think you can increase yield by cutting off the high-yielding part of the plant.

3. Thanks for the advice. I just started the flowering process so I will leave well enough alone.

4. You could always revert back to veg if you really wanted to try topping...

5. Can't.... I move at the end of July so I need to flower now and hope I have enough time to get something out of my first whack at growing. That is of course if I have any females out of the three... Below is a link to the last pic I took of my plants 3 days ago before starting the 12/12 cycle. Still no signs of sex yet of course, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/8076/0519b2pn.jpg

6. Your plants look good. Wheat type of light you running in there??
    Hoping for females for ya... R+ for the good work so far and good luck on first flower.

7. Thanks, I have dual 400W MH/HPS.