Pictures!

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Borophyl, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Wtf is up with pictures. Showing up as blank thumbnails half the time, the other half of the time they just don't show up. Used to upload from phone all the time, can't anymore, can't even upload a jpeg

2. Lol look through this section man, the update kicked pictures asses for a little bit here

3. I too am still having the picture problem. However, I have read the other thread regarding picture upload. About 4 hours ago they posted that the tech was on his way in to work on the picture issue. I'm waiting with baited breath to be able to use the forum for my grow diary. Guess I'm a weed-geek I guess that makes me weeeek or a geeeed I'm not sure.:smoke::smoke:

4. now if only it would kill that ridiculously large banner for the site at the top.

5. Is this still an issue?

6. That banner has been gone for me.

I feel it should stay up there for those who aren't paid members.

We pay to remove ads, to have benefits and to support the City.

7. so the pictures are still fucked?

8. so why not stick in some google banner adds too? It's get them a lot more money.

If you wanna support the site via donation then fine but to make it as a sort of punishment for not donating sucks. It's the main reason I haven't donated nor bought anything from the store here. I've looked at the store then bought the same items through other sites. Paying to remove adds stinks of a home made website which this place is clearly not. Nevermind your paying the same as it would cost to play an online game simply to remove a banner (or I would be if I did it) I'd hardly call that a good use of money. anyways, i'll stop there cause any more will prolly get this thread locked also.

As for the pictures, if you use a hosting website for them they should work fine. not sure if they fixed the deal with the one's attached via this site yet.

9. I don't see it as a "punishment" for not donating... Not seeing the ads is just a perk of giving a donation.

You could call any of the membership perks a "punishment" for other members.
    "Not being able to have a bigger sig is just a punishment for not being a gold member".
    "Not getting discount codes in the mail is punishment for not donating".

Should the paid members get nothing in exchange for their donation? :p

The minimum donation is $10 for a whole year. There are plenty of online games that charge more than that per month. :poke:

10. It's part of the benefit of signing up, where you've already made a financial contribution to the site for little more than just using its features, you're awarded with privileges such as a less-cluttered viewing experience minus certain ads, and steep discounts at the shop which often pay for your membership fee, and then some. :D

But if it's such a big deal and for whatever you don't feel like making a contribution to a website you use regularly, just get an ad-blocker program. Free, and easy.

11. Hello there, I should have added this earlier :) Yes it's still happening, it has been a problem for a few weeks now, I haven't been able to upload photos at all in my albums, and all the photos I uploaded since mid December appear and (more often) disappear when I log in and out. Once in a while it lets me upload photos through the 'reply' page, but never through my albums. I get an "image type not yet supported" error, even though I'm uploading the same way as always (I believe Russy is having the same issue). And while I can usually upload via a thread, I often can't see the photos other members have uploaded. I've deleted my cookies/cache/history everything possible, changed computers, browsers etc.

Just keeping you folks informed how it's been looking on my end, no rush! I have a few recipes and things saved up for the edibles section now, and to be honest I feel more comfortable/secure uploading with you folks than an outside hosting service :D

12. OK....thanks for letting me know. I will report it to gnik. I think we might need to have a Technical Feedback forum to keep the technical stuff in one area for him because these are not issues that the team and I can address really.

Had I not broken my magic wand, we would be good to go, though. ;)

13. Ok well I had prepared a long reply to most of the responses to what I posted but to me it was way to long a reply in a thread not started by me or really about the subject. I don't wish to derail a thread that someone else started about a problem they are having.

I will just say this. I think a benefit of joining a membership (which is what it is, not a donation) should be all the things that are included in the normal membership of this site sans banner removal. Removing the banner that almost never changes in content simply because people pay the site seems more like annoying people into giving money to the site than because they want to. If there was a donate button that if you donated the banner would go away then I would have no argument (unless of course you set a minimum donation amount) but to force people to either a)pay money to remove it or b) install a program that removes it is shapoopie.

Yes I could have installed an "ad-blocker" that allows me to block specific pictures but I think it's ridiculous that I should have to install it for 1 single picture on 1 website. I offered solutions that would still allow them to get the message out there but it seems that it falls on deaf ears or maybe just uncaring ones. I've seen many web sites start with a similar banner that turns into smaller google adds in out-of-the-way areas then it turns into ads that are in your face, all because of the money.

14. Yeah, I just tried again... Same issue thats been happening for 3 weeks or whatever...

hope they can fix it soon.

:wave:

15. Or, they could just not make the ad/s disappear for anyone, paid membership or not. :)

It's just a perk someone thought up for those who have already paid their dues, which makes perfect sense; the ads likely only generate less than a few pennies per member, if that, so if you pay $10 - $30 to sign up, you've in a way already 'outgrown' the ads reason for being. It's no more a trick or deceitful tactic to gain pay members, than the ability to improve your sig or avatar.

If you squint hard enough, any one of the benefits could be considered just as 'tricky'. :p

Some people are MUCH more interested in the sig and avatar limitations, and even more so in the shop discounts, than whether or not they can see ads. But does that mean they've been tricked or annoyed into buying a membership? Not in the least!
    It's just a preference, if a perk (or the website ;) ) means enough to you, then you donate to either get the perk you had in mind, or to keep the place up and running. It's a means to an end, and ad visibility is probably the least mentioned/complained about 'perk', it's more often all about the (esp. for gold member, numerous) shop discounts, the sig improvements, the avatar imrpovements, the 'cool factor' of having a colored name, and access to Nirvana. This site has fewer ads than many forums, and they are pretty easy to ignore even when they're visible, so it's not like it's even that big a deal when they disappear. I barely noticed. :D

It's not like the forum is unbearably flooded with ads. [​IMG] I'm sure they had no idea that a simple concept such as hidden ads for pay members, would offend anyone this much! :p

16. to play your same logic they could also load the site up with tons of ads. We know they won't because everyone knows people will stop coming here because of them.

perk? so what was it called when they first started putting the ad up? There use to be a time when it was only up during particular holiday's. But I suppose asking that it go back to how it was before it became a "perk" of membership is too much? Nevermind that I never asked that it be taken down completely, I simply asked that they give it an option to close it. You can easily make it a one time window per visit that the user could close each time. Then they still get it advertised just as much and we users don't get a large portion of our screen filled with an ad.

you obviously didn't read anything but maybe the last reply. I don't care if people buy any subscription to the site to get the sig or any of the other benefits. I think those are all valid things for paying. What I think is wrong is that they are requiring you to also pay just to remove an ad that they only recently started putting up 100% of the time.How is it not annoying someone into donating just to remove the ad? I don't care about a larger sig or any extra forums that I might gain access to so the only reason I would buy a subscription is to remove the ad. I even gave other methods that would not be hard to implement that would make this whole discussion pointless but when I made a thread on it it got locked before any discussion was allowed.

Not sure how it appears and disappears for you without buying a subscription and then waiting to renew it but I have to see it every time I come here and it takes up enough space so that when I go to visit the forums the only thing I see is that ad. I have to scroll before I see even the top of the forums. Is it hard to scroll? of course not but neither does is make me enjoy this site when I don't know if I reloaded the page because nothing on my screen changes.

Just give it time, they will add more slowly over time. I'm not offended by anything I'm simply asking why it is that it's suddenly a "perk". It's like them coming out tomorrow and saying some sections of the forums are suddenly only available to paying members, would you find it just as funny then?

What I can't understand is why is the first option make it a "perk" for paying members when they could have just as easily given it a close option and make it display until you close it. It use to be just a holiday thing that wasn't too bad. Annoying but after a week or two it would go away but now suddenly it's the new standard and not having it is a "perk"...

17. just wanted to say im still having problems uploading pictures with the app, and anytime i click on a thumbnail of a picture someone posted, instead of having the picture pop up, it takes me to a whole new page:wave:

18. Been about a month for me to..

I try daily to upload pics the way Ive done for over a year...

NOTHING...

Its really really sad... Pictures is what make this site...

I liked the old way of uploading through the photo gallery..

Please can we give this some attention?

Clearly I am not the only member having issues...

19. Gnik is giving it attention. I'm sorry that there aren't really any progress updates being posted. I can only post what I know. I am NOT the tech person. :p Of course, I can pretend to be and see what happens...but the site might crash altogether. ;)

It'll be fixed soon. ;)