Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Pictures like this supporting MJ are just bias

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by NeverMistakeMe, Jul 31, 2012.

1. [quote name='"stimp"']i realise most don't agree with you, but i have always thought the same thing when seeing these charts and i agree. with everything else on the chart it includes indirect deaths. i don't think it is possible for not 1 single person ever to have an indirect death due too mary jane. i love the herb and it is much less harmful then say alcohol or tobacco. however i have met 2 people who have severe alergic reactions to it. both were hospitalised and both did live. but i figure there are probaly people with even worse reactions to it somewhere.

i also think if we want to get it legalized, and who doesn't, biased claims like this should be stopped because we won't change anyone who is against the herbs mind if we make rediculous claims like this. just my 2 cents[/quote]

Yes yes, but at the same time we can still remember that marijuana is relatively safe to the average person, but let's face it; you can die from ANYTHING. Directly or indirectly. Is it really that hard to believe that somebody has died in a car accident due to being under the influence of MJ? Not to mention the obvious deaths from drug violence. But yes :)

2. #62 Oceanic, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2012
    There has absolutely been deaths attributed to marijuana use, it probably happens a lot. People are high with their friends in a car, not paying attention, or were smoking earlier. Maybe only took one single hit. I'm sure people have been high and did something stupid which ended their life. To say marijuana hasn't attributed to any deaths is totally silly. It may not kill you slowly (I still sort of disagree with that, your inhaling SMOKE INTO YOUR LUNGS, STOP LYING TO YOURSELF), but using ANY mind altering drug can result in something disastrous.

It's definitely safer than alcohol in my opinion, and likely healthier than regularly smoking cigarettes, but OP has a point it's super annoying hearing people say stupid shit like that.

3. [quote name='"stimp"']i realise most don't agree with you, but i have always thought the same thing when seeing these charts and i agree. with everything else on the chart it includes indirect deaths. i don't think it is possible for not 1 single person ever to have an indirect death due too mary jane. i love the herb and it is much less harmful then say alcohol or tobacco. however i have met 2 people who have severe alergic reactions to it. both were hospitalised and both did live. but i figure there are probaly people with even worse reactions to it somewhere.

i also think if we want to get it legalized, and who doesn't, biased claims like this should be stopped because we won't change anyone who is against the herbs mind if we make rediculous claims like this. just my 2 cents[/quote]

Lol that would suck to have a marijuana allergy

4. I'm concerned about direct influences. Indirect deaths are the users fault. Ever heard of a thing called stupidity? Yeah that's called natural selection.

5. [quote name='"Xblunt-manX"']

I'm concerned about direct influences. Indirect deaths are the users fault. Ever heard of a thing called stupidity? Yeah that's called natural selection.[/quote]

We know what you're concerned about but what you're concerned about has nothing to do with the thread.

6. Its true, though.... :confused:
    if anything your thread is biased.

7. I understand where OP is coming from. However, I'm no longer sure how we would be able to point fingers on any substance for a death related incident if it could be caused by allergies or lack of control on the users fault or carcinogens from smoking etc.

8. This thread is about the direct deaths caused by cannabis. The poster is true. Anyone can die by indirect cause, that's the worst argument I've ever heard.

9. [quote name='"Xblunt-manX"']
    This thread is about the direct deaths caused by cannabis. The poster is true. Anyone can die by indirect cause, that's the worst argument I've ever heard.[/quote]

Lol seriously. Ops arrgument is irrelevant.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I need to disagree on 2 points. 1, the only reason anyone is hurt as a result of any gang or crime related issue is because the people running the country are too stupid to legalize it. If MJ was legal there would be virtually ZERO violence surrounding marijuana at all.

2, Have you ever turned on the news and heard, "Breaking News story, a man has crashed into oncoming traffic on the highway. It seems he was high on marijuana."? I'm gonna guess probably not.
    Although being high can be considered as impaired I refuse to accept that it has caused any significant amount of life threatening accidents to stand up against everything else on that list. The worst that's gonna happen if you drive high is you're gonna go 10 under the speed limit and maybe get rear-ended. You don't see double, your vision doesn't wobble, and most importantly your mind isn't completely ass-fuck retarded.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ^Lol love how your ended your post

"You don't see double, your vision doesn't wobble, and most importantly your mind isn't completely ass-fuck retarded.'
    :laughing: :laughing:

12. I don't think a lot of people are actually reading the OP. He didn't come off to me as someone who was anti-marijuana at all. How many DIRECT deaths are caused by tobacco or even not eating right or poor exercise? The deaths come indirectly from diseases caused by tobacco and lack of healthy living habits.

If those statistics don't just include direct causes but also indirect then the numbers change drastically. I'm all for promoting the benefits and safety of cannabis but not by lying to the public. Yeah marijuana has zero direct deaths but so does lack of exercise. The chart that the OP showed does not distinguish direct and indirect deaths. Also I agree a simple link with a study under each claim would have legitimized the chart a lot more.

I could make a poster making similar broad claims but without links to studies no one would take it seriously. If the poster really is from NORML they should change the title to direct deaths annually and change the numbers accordingly. I am completely pro-marijuana and understand how great it is but that doesn't mean I can't step back and look at the situation objectively. Constructive criticism like that which the OP gave does nothing but help us improve the way we approach presenting the information.

13. If what your saying is correct then if I shot someone dead I wouldn't be convicted because I didn't cause his death the bullet did.

14. #74 BlazingZombiess, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
    [quote name='"speshulbrowny"']I don't think a lot of people are actually reading the OP. He didn't come off to me as someone who was anti-marijuana at all. How many DIRECT deaths are caused by tobacco or even not eating right or poor exercise? The deaths come indirectly from diseases caused by tobacco and lack of healthy living habits.

If those statistics don't just include direct causes but also indirect then the numbers change drastically. I'm all for promoting the benefits and safety of cannabis but not by lying to the public. Yeah marijuana has zero direct deaths but so does lack of exercise. The chart that the OP showed does not distinguish direct and indirect deaths. Also I agree a simple link with a study under each claim would have legitimized the chart a lot more.

I could make a poster making similar broad claims but without links to studies no one would take it seriously. If the poster really is from NORML they should change the title to direct deaths annually and change the numbers accordingly. I am completely pro-marijuana and understand how great it is but that doesn't mean I can't step back and look at the situation objectively. Constructive criticism like that which the OP gave does nothing but help us improve the way we approach presenting the information.[/quote]

I looked at it objectively... His points are "marijuana-related" deaths not "direct deaths" from marajuana.

And i indeed read it correctly... Marijuana doesnt give you cancer, marajuana doesnt make your car crash.... Its the person, not "marajuana's" fault. Blaming a car accident that you got in "for being high" is actually preety pathetic.

15. yea also there are people that are highly allergic to marijuana

16. stop being a smartass and just support the bud

17. No not exactly. You would get convicted because you are the human being in that situation and a bullet can't be held accountable in court :rolleyes: How does your analogy of getting convicted of a crime have anything to do with the chart ignoring the possibility that marijuana may indirectly cause a death, while including other factors that may indirectly cause death? I'm specifically talking about the lack of exercise/poor diet part.

He did say "marijuana-related" deaths but that was assuming that the chart included both direct and indirect causes (3rd line of his post). The chart did not clarify if it included direct causes or indirect causes of death which is the biggest problem I have with it. Poor diet/exercise is not a CAUSE of death, it is a factor. If you're going to claim that poor diet/exercise CAUSES 365,000 deaths a year when it really is only a factor in those deaths, it is only right that you include all the deaths in which marijuana may have been a factor. All I am saying is to make better, clearer posters with links to (legitimate) studies underneath broad claims.

Also to the people saying that tobacco should be included in this list because the diseases caused by it kill you, then why shouldn't the impairment that kills you in a motor vehicle accident caused by the marijuana not be included?

18. Also instead of just posting negative things about the chart, I'll post what I believe would make any future posters better.
    1.) Add links to studies from Pubmed for each statistic
    2.) Make it clear how you're counting the deaths for each cause (direct, indirect, or both)
    3.) Do not make the poster include indirect causes of death; its clearly subjective just from the comments on this thread and makes it hard to figure out what to include and what not to include-- the point that the chart was trying to make could easily have been made just comparing OD rates of different legal drugs with cannabis

Again guys I am on your side even though it looks like I'm not. I just don't think these posters are perfect and opponents to legalization will look at any flaw in our arguments to keep cannabis illegal.

19. Well it's pretty obvious what the poster was implying. Deaths directly caused by MJ. That's why it's 0, because it's true.

20. you eat peanuts you have a reaction you die
    you smoke weed, get high, and you dont die
    doesnt seem bias to me