Pictures, and questions.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by papaduck, May 11, 2012.

1. Still on my "training wheel" plant and have already learned quite a bit!

This is what she looks like as of today. She's been growing since mid March and switched her to 12/12 April 9th (on her 4th week of flower). To this day I have not added a single nutrient to her! She's growing in MG soil (first mistake), so I've really been afraid to start hitting her with any nutes at this point. Been using good ole Texas rainwater (filtered through a coffee filter) and distilled when I was out of rainwater.
    I think she got plenty of light, using one 40w (top light), 3 - 23W's, 2 - 27W's (simulate daylight) and in the corner there is two 40W tube lights. The box I built is made out of 1/8" smooth panelboard (white) and is 2' square by 4' tall.
    Here are the pictures..

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00251.JPG

First picture is really my setup.
    Second pic is my clawing fan leaves.
    Third picture is top cola.

And now for some questions!

The fan leaves in about the middle have been clawing since flower. I water about every 4 days. 3 days after watering she's dry but I wait one more day just in case. When I do water, I put her pot on a bbq grill and water in bursts so she has time to soak it in. I keep watering untill I get some good runoff at the bottom. Then leave her drain for 15-20 minutes before I put her back inside.
    Any thoughts, suggestions on why she's clawing? lack of nutes maybe? I have a PH tester on order (cheap digital Milwaukee brand), and should be here early next week. I've never tested PH to this point.

I am going to town next week and going to pick up some nutrients. A lot of what i'm reading here on GC is leading me to buy the FF nutirents. Do I need to get all 3 of the "trio", or what exactly should I buy? When I do get them, how should I start to introduce the nutrients to my plant? Start with 1/4 strength? How much to add per gallon? Should I add nutrients to my distilled water or my rainwater? Do I use some of all three bottles of nutrients in one gallon, or premix each type of nutrients in seperate bottles of water and alternate? According to the FF chart, I should be using 2 Tiger, 2 Grow Big and 3 Big Bloom (tablespoons per gallon I think), is this "full strength"? and, like I was saying do I add all three of these to a single gallon of water?

She's growing so slowwwww :(
    From seedling even, I was about to scrap her early on (like 3 other seedlings before her that didn't make it), because she just wouldn't grow. From what i've been reading, she's supposed to grow three times her hight during flowering. I bet in the 4 weeks of flowering, she's probably gained 3-4 inches maybe.
    Is this because she needs nutrients? or is this just the genetics of the plant itself? (she's just bagseed)
    She need a trim? I tried to trim a bit off her the other day and accidently cut off a bud! Doh! Not really sure where or what to trim so I stopped.
    Ok last question (thanks for hanging in there with me for those that are still reading), she smells like, ...well like a plant. When I buy herb already cured for smoking, and I open up the bag, I know what smell im expecting. She does NOT smell anything like that at all. She just smells like a plant. Will she ever smell like bud? Does that smell only happen during drying/cureing?

OK one more question (haha) How does she look overall? Thanks for reading and answering my questions. If any more info is needed to answer, just ask. I've got nothing to do today so i'll be around.

2. doesnt smell at all??
    i cant say ive ever heard of anyone having that problem... my plants is going into its second week of flowering and the odor is pungent. mines just some mid bagseed as well.

id say go ahead and add some nutes at 1/4 strenght and see how she takes it. and fox farms is the way to go...

3. Since you're using rainwater primarily, I assume, it's PH should be fine. There's a reason plants can grow in nature. It's because rain, around here at least, somehow magically falls out of the sky with a 6.5 ish PH. So rainwater shouldn't be the problem in my opinion.

Also, I've found with very low ppm water that the PH relies more on solubles in the water. If you try to PH distilled or RO water, it only takes a tiny bit of acid or base to move the PH a large amount. With nutrients in the mix, they act as buffers for the acid. This is what gives water it's PH. I've watered plants in soil with straight RO water without any issues. The nutrients in the soil have the PH, not pure water.

If you're going to buy the treo, you'll be better off with them all. There'll be directions on the back that you can follow the ratios. Most people follow them but cut the dosages 50%. Start at 1/4 stregnth of what's suggested on the bottle, it'll say how many gallons.

I usually introduce nutrients only when I'm fully aware that the soil has been stripped of it's nutrients. Just keep an eye on your plants, and watch for deficiencies. A slight yellowing would probably be the first clue if the plant was in veg. Plants use a lot of nitrogen during veg.

You said you switched to 12/12 AFTER 4 weeks of flowering? That doesn't make sense. Usually, 12/12 is referred to as flowering. Veg is where the lights are on 18+ hours a day. This answers why your plant has only grown 3-4 inches in 4 weeks. CFLs don't grow plants very quickly, it sounds a little stunted, but reasonable.

It won't smell like bud if there's no bud on it. Plants smell like plants....

I think you need to go read on Google. Start with the basics. You seem to have dove in on your own ideas, instead of what people have found to work best. I think it'd be best to educate yourself before you invest more money into this adventure.

You shouldn't be trimming plants, marijuana controversially doesn't need trimming. Trimming takes off leaves that turn light into energy for the plant to put into bud growth. You're cutting off it's power supply.... pretty dumb, right?

4. I stated in my post that she's been growing since mid March and I started flowering April 9th. So she only veged for a little over 2 weeks.

Reason for that was, I had a plant that was growing great! (very healthy and fast), and I switched to flower after 5 weeks of veg (the female in the OP ended up being two weeks behind), but that plant ended up male. Once I found this plant was female, I was going to go back to 24/0 to try to force her back to veg, but didn't. I just figured I'd ride her out like she is.

So she's about 2 weeks veg, 4 weeks flower (give or take).

As far as reading goes, I've never really stopped reading since i've started growing. This is the only site where I post, but I have done a lot of reading, but nothing i've read has had any specific information to answer these questions i've posted, especially since i've been using MG and most grows i've read DO NOT use this soil.

Ohspyro, you said "It won't smell like bud if there's no bud on it", so what your telling me is the sites where all the hairs (pistols) are growing are not the sites where the "bud" is? This plant pictured above has no "bud"? :confused:

And as far as her overall health, she look ok?

Thanks again