PICS! request to Critique/advise new grow tent setup 1st grow - DWC - Strawberry Banana

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Greenery86, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Hi All,

1st post!

Ill explain the setup then my questions, feel free to chip in:

The tent is 4.5' x 4.5' x7.5' (1.4m x 1.4m x 2.2m)
    375cfm fan exhausting from top, passive intake from bottom

Currently running 400w HPS in a 3' (1m) parabolic reflector with the bulb hanging vertically.

Ive got ph and ppm meters calibrated.

4 plants (strawberry banana) in net pots + hydroton, in the lid of one tub with 20L of nutrient solution. (best 2 plants will get their own)
    Really strong air pump with 2 airstones

I fed with 1/4 strength GH nutes when 2nd true leaves showed, PPM is only 270. Will up it gradually week by week. (GH flora series 3 part, diamond nectar, rapid start, armorSi)
    its been 2 weeks exactly since the seeds popped and 3 have roots are in the water, one still struggling. 2nd set of true leaves now growing by the hour it seems on the other 3.

Tent is exhausting into the garage that its in, with exhaust fan blowing towards the entry door which i keep open.

questions:

Really really considering upgrading to 600w for flowering. Pretty much sold on the idea. but summer is around the corner, and i dont have/cant afford a chiller will the extra 200w be worth the potential heat problems? (it gets into the 100's some days in summer here)

Im planning on moving the best 2 plants into their own bucket and while looking for a suitable bucket, i came across the cooler (ice box? esky?) section of the store . Im planning on using a 15gallon esky cooler as a res for each plant. With the net pot having to be above the water, that will still only be like 6-8 gallons of liquid. is this a good idea? its not cheap, but theyre light proof, white colour (reflective), insulated, sturdy, and have a drain valve. Ive already got one, it kept ice frozen for 4 days while sitting out in the sun, admittedly i wasnt pumping air into it, and it didnt have a big hole and net pot in it.

Last question, is it advisable/best to mount the light bulb vertically like that? i can keep the light under a foot away from the plants at the moment, because the heat is radiating side ways not down, i could even lower it more but theyre loving it where it is now so dont want to chance it. I have a fan pointed up towards the light bulb to cool things down too, the air hits the plants and the light so double wammy. im just wondering if it would be better to mount the bulb horizontally in the same reflector (its switchable). Or should i get a different reflector all together?

Pics are 3 days old, second leaved are like 4 times the size now.

PICS! request to Critique/advise new grow tent setup 1st time DWC - Strawberry Banana

20180919_181257.jpg 20180919_181303.jpg 20180919_181321.jpg 20180919_181511.jpg

2. Throw a 600 watt in there. Heat shouldn’t be an issue

3. Do they look like theyre stretching? and if so could it be due to how the bulb is hanging?

4. If they are stretching more than they should be it' due to the light being too far away or not enough light. I would recommend a led light with watt equivalent comparison to your HID. Also great to avoid heat. Do you have a chiller hooked up? If not, get hydroguard to avoid root rot from high temp water.

5. Ok, so you're right the stretching was due to the light not being close enough. Being a HPS light, i assumed it wasnt safe to have it so close, but ive lowered it, and put my hand above my plants and its no where near too hot, its just a lil warm. I did that a few days ago and they're filling out and not getting much taller. I also just changed the bulb to horizontally mounted, since the light was going from the bulb, traveling sideways almost a foot in some places to the reflector and reflecting back another foot or so to the plants. No efficient.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nice, good choices. I have no experience with HPS or HID lights so im sure what you did is fine when it comes to changing it to Horizontally. Any other issues just post here or in another thread, there are always people to help!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I did not find a detailed review of this strain. I'm not sure that I can cultivate this strain myself

• Like Like x 1