Picking up/ leaving to live off the land.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by cram5671, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Hey guys I know this sounds crazy bla bla bla. But I would love to pick up and head somewhere and live off the land for a year or two, somewhere beautiful, kind of like the movie "the beach" with Leonardo Dicaprio if you have seen it.

Why you ask? Well why not. Just to get away and be free, have something crazy to look back on in twenty years.

I figure if a group of individuals each got about 5 grand worth of materials etc together and went for it, it would be a blast. Really the only thing stopping me is my career... I mean what would I be coming back to and even if I was to find a new company what would I say I have done for the past couple years? "oh I was living off the grid being one with nature just to change things up", I feel like I would be looked at like I had two heads and dismissed, but you never know, if I was hiring a guy who said that to me I'd think he was pretty awesome for having the courage to go for something like that.

Your thoughts?

2. I considered doing this, the only problem is that it's illegal unless you own the land (pretty sure there are no exceptions to this, if there are please correct my ignorance, I'd love to know). My ideas then changed to doing cross country trails...first I wanted to do the Appalachian trail which would take anywhere from 5-7 months, but I'm going to start short and do the colorado trail next summer after I save up enough, only 5-6 weeks instead...that's also something to look back on,,,,a true adventure across the country.

3. I'd do it in a heartbeat

4. Yeah Into the Wild is another great movie if you haven't seen it. I did the same thing but didn't go to Alaska, the opposite actually.. hawaii. lol, lived off the land pretty much for 6 months. Worked for food and such on farms, no money. The WWOOFing program is a great way to do this, can travel the world. Yeah it was something to remember for life no doubt.

Theres people who live off the grid all over the place, you just don't know about them. Have to be skilled no doubt, understand the land, plants, animals etc. have the supplies you need to survive. ^^Slab City is a joke now, meth city, that's not living in nature, it's just living in a drugged out trailer park that is free because no one wants to fuck with those people lol.

As for coming back for jobs and such who cares, live life once. You'll figure it out. If you really want to do it you should. Even 6 months out in the wild feels like a long time, can learn a lot about yourself and life. Besides living in one place theres also backpacking which many people do.. research it people do it all over the world, I plan on doing it in NZ.