Picked up a cheap bag of "organic" soil i havnt seen before

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Deleted member 892550, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Idk if its cool to drop the companys name or not, but im wondering what the blades think. Supposedly has shrimp and other nice goodies. Claims its packed with microbes, but i cant be sure of that.

The bag doesnt say much, no NPK so i have no idea how hot it is. Would it be too hot for seeds? I cant find any actual ratios of anything they used. Their website only says this (copy and paste):

"************** is a natural & organic professional growing mix blended for better water retention. ****** has more water holding capacity when needed: dry spells & off seasons.

Biologically-enhanced soil with mycorrhizae and a shot of ******* (an organic compost rich in microbial activity).

Materials: All natural and sustainably sourced ingredients: coconut coir fiber, pumice, perlite, organic compost, worm castings, wood biochar, diatomaceous earth, natural limestone (for pH adjustment), fish bone meal, bat guano, feather meal, blood meal, alfalfa meal, shrimp meal, humic acid (derived from leonardite), basalt rock dust, and kelp meal. It also contains the non-plant food ingredient mycorrhizae.

Ingredients: Key Ingredient: Pumice, the light greyish particles in your potting mix is a natural occurring, unprocessed, low-density volcanic rock, that creates beneficial pockets for water and air when used as a soil amendment. The porous nature of pumice allows it to hold vital nutrients, which helps regulate feedings. Pumice doesn't retain water, making it ideal for plants that need excellent drainage. By mixing pumice with coconit coir we ensure that the roots of your plants never hold excess water, while staying adequately hydrated surrounded by the fibrous coir."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Like with TECH avoid being the first in the Que

no NPK no further comment ...lol

tho a link is a good idea

cheers/

• Like Like x 1
  3. NEVER skimp on soil!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Welcome Back Granny!

happy 420

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'd still go Fox Farm Ocean Forest mix tho pricey I'm used to it

even tho add 25% perlite and often go 3-5 runs before amending

cheers/

6. No one seems to have anything to say about this, so ill post my experience with it here when i use it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mix no. 1 reads interesting but there's no way of knowing how much of each ingredient is in the bag. you'll have to do as you say above and somewhere around month 2 or 3 or 4 you might be prepared to amend with "something" (who knows) as they also suggest on their website that one might have to do. pre-mixed soils are a roll of the dice every time we open the bag even if we're experienced with the label. quality control really belongs at home unless one is mixing cubic yards of soil in which case they would probably order their own custom mix. make sense?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Right, because NPK means a lot in organics. :rolleyes:

P-

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. IMO just the fact that it's based on coco coir would be reason enough not to use it. Also, the fact that they add mycorrhizae tells me the makers or this soil are more into hyped buzzwords than actual science to craft their product (as are most of the cannabis oriented products out there).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Well just in case anyone else sees this soil around, ive had no problems with it. Not saying its great, but i had a pretty successful germination with it so far. I got 4 out of 5 seedlings to sprout outdoors in WA, and with nothing but tapwater they all seem pretty happy as of now (2 weeks old since sprout). I wouldnt mind trying it out more if i had an indoor grow or something.

I usually make my own soil, but i needed something light in nutes for germinating/seedlings. I saw this cheap bag of "organic" soil with coco and i needed something to germinate in, so i kinda bought it on impulse (weve all been there). Fyi i actually like coco coir, my first grow was soiless coco, and now i use it as a base when i make my own soil.

I have nothing negative to say about Opus, still not enough experience with it to say anything positive about it either