Pick your poison: Religion - Who's side are you on?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by MPower420, Aug 22, 2010.

1. #1 MPower420, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2010
    Well that was the catchiest title I could come up with, but we're not going to be "picking sides" here. This is a simple experiment that will (hopefully) show, with reasonable accuracy, what/which religion(s) stoners tend to believe in and hopefully, in a few cases, why.

I myself am "undecided". I grew up in a rather deep-rooted Catholic and thought that everything the church said was a lie. I'm a believer in logic and have been for as long as I can remember.

Now, like I said, I'm undecided. Christianity is completely out for me, though. There's to many contradictions between sects, books, etc for me to take everything as fact. I see the Bible as a rather interesting "story" that was told over and over for thousands of years.

I believe that the "Gods" depicted in the Christian Bible (and all other similar texts) were not Gods. They were in fact visitors from another world. I've seen enough drawings, sculptures, figures, writings and statues spanning many thousands of years and from many different cultures all over the world to believe "ancient astronauts" once visited our planet and that we simply misinterpreted them as Gods. That's for a different time, though.

When it comes to religious/spiritual beliefs, I tend to think closer to teachings in Mahayana Buddhism. We're all "god", we're all equal and we ourselves are responsible for our destiny. Look it up on Wikipedia and you'll see what I mean. I feel that this is "right" for me.

What I want to know is; what do you think is "right"?

2. religion is stupid.

3. Wow Logs.. spend much time thinkin about that? Poor little braincells oughta be just about ready for a nappy nap.. ( know you are just kiddin ;) no worries )

For me... i pick Buddism/Judeo Christian hybrid

For all the self loathing christians and folks that got about as much attachment to the word as the inner workings of a cleverly designed mlm scheme, think about all the good that people have done in the name of brotherhood in recent years. clean water, medicine immunizations despite politics, stepping in the line of fire to bring food to the starving. Who really gives a steaming pile if they do it in the name of their supreme being at least they're doing something. Ya its easier sit idle and throw jabs than actually do something for someone else that may not appreciate you and your wonderfulness.

Buddhism got me through a huge dung pile of self doubt and ego centrism.

4. Rule of thumb: I just stay away from any belief that claims to have all the answers...or ones that say their way is the true way.

5. I am an atheist. I do not, cannot, and will not believe in a higher power.

This does not, however, mean that I am going to hate on religion, denounce another's faith, or try to convince people otherwise.

The real question is why. Why does it matter whether or not you do or don't believe in a god? And why is it so important that your view be forced onto others? Both sides do it, and I'm sorry to say this to my fellow Atheists, but wars are not caused by religions, they're caused by tyrants. People who believe that their opinion is more right than anybody else's. This applies to Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Arabs, and Atheists.

The only opinion we all share is that we are right.

6. agnostic here. i believe in a higher power, i just haven't worked out what it is yet. but I'll let you know when I do

7. i dont have a religion but i have a good idea of what i believe

im a pantheist , it isnt any established faith but its basicly the idea that the world around us is god , i think this because in nature it all seems to be made the same , like if you look at our galaxy next to a cell in are body... to me it just seems so 'perfect'.

i also think when we die we get reincarated endlessly intill are soul is fully satisfied and fullfilled with what it done , or you can say "realizing your destiny" or your "purpose" or the whatever the fuck we get outa bed for everyday

i also consider this to be the concept of enlightment and also heaven that most faiths have , and the concept of hell is just living your life the wrong way

and as far as morality goes... i believe ALL people have the knowledge of what right and wrong born within us , we all just suffer from desire and try to fullfill that desire all our life even though its only an illusion

iv decided on these things as what i believe based off being raised christian and reading lots of different book from different religions , my favorite book and the one that effected me the most was the Tao Te Ching , which i recomend to ALL

8. im agnostic at the moment. was raised catholic, but now i have no reason to really believe in any popular religions... i mean there is no point in claiming out this faith in something that definitely does not exist in any way that we've imagined it... all the religions are BS mostly.

there is probably some higher power, i mean i think there has to be something that started the universe... i dont think theres any way of finding out whats going on tho. im totally fine with accepting that i have no idea whats going on in the universe. ima try to do my best with what i got, and thats all that i can control, so i can just worry about that.

9. I think Allah and YHVH God are two separate entities, Allah being the spirit of Haggar, a spirit in the middle east, looking out for her sons people. And i believe God created all things and has a set plan. However I don't believe Christians should get involved in worldly concerns such as wars and diplomatic concerns and should live peacefully independently with their family by the will and blessings of God.

Though I believe in Christianity and Judea history, I am not a full christian. I also believe in science. I believe we are all organic with some inorganic spirit in us. I believe our consciousness was given to us through the sun. I believe all energy has some consciousness, and that all matter has some energy to have a form. I believe all energy has some matter, otherwise it would be immaterial and would not exist. Like in a yin yang, you cant have one without the other. I also believe that their are dimensions. I don't believe in hell, but i believe heaven is in another dimension and that this dimension is like a hell, and that the science of heaven would be beyond our comprehension.

I believe that we are all individuals of the same consciousness. And that life is like music with all its variations and variables. And that life is like poetry, each segment giving a different detail.

I also believe that there were elementalists who would channel their consciousness to be able to manipulate any matter anywhere. I believe this ability could still be harnessed.

10. In my life I was raised and fully indoctrinated as a Roman Catholic. After I finished high school I started seriously reevaluating my faith. With the priest molestation news really making it into the open around that time and delving into history of Christianity and other religions, I've become very disillusioned and distrustful of organized religion because in too many cases people are practicing things that are hypocritical of their respective dogma. I don't believe that (not) being a follower of any religion makes me any less "moral." Religion gets a lot of people into a lot trouble. I personally have an issue with the self-centered notion that we (humans collectively) were created by a higher being for some greater purpose. I don't mind if we are or not by itself, just that religion brainwashes people into thinking that life and living it is meaningless under any other circumstance.

If I must stick a label to it, I'm somewhere between atheist and agnostic, as my beliefs are consistently going through change. I concern myself less with the "who's the higher power?" details and more "what happens after this life?" Fundamentally, I think that we each determine our experience in the afterlife based on what we (un)consciously believe, to some significant degree. That's the current cornerstone but I'll need a lot more time to conceptualize it clearly.

11. Call me crazy but.

People tend to pick a side because they are trying to define themselves. We are all human, and we are all naturally the same. There are many things that people do/believe in to stand apart from the rest of the population. Some would say religion defines them, yet I believe it is a mask to find their own self individuality.

Maybe I just can't word this right? It makes sense to me. We try so hard to stand apart, yet we are all born of the same miracle. We are made of the same things, and ultimately we lead the same destinies, to leave this earth we were blessed with.

12. #12 AHuman, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
    I am a naturalist, meaning that I do not believe in the supernatural. I believe that everything has a scientific explanation, and every phenomenon we experience demands a scientific explanation. I don't believe in ghosts or an afterlife because the concept of a spirit that survives after death is both biologically and physically impossible. Biologically, because we know that the human (or any creatures) body is made of tissue, and we similarly know that tissue decays. Physically, because the soul is a gas (it certainly can't be a solid or liquid, and matter exists in only those three forms), it must diffuse into absolutely nothing as soon as it is 'released', or however the emitting of the soul from a dead body actually occurs. This is assuming the soul has mass, or is comprised of matter which can be scientifically observed etc. Any of these assumptions are impossible, because matter and more importantly information (and not just any information, information that didn't exist in that form before - inherited information) can't exist without existing.

Similarly, I don't believe in God whatsoever. Any force that is sufficient to design anything must have evolved, and evolved to a level of amazing complexity. Otherwise, they beg the unanswerable question of 'Where did he come from?', with only two answers - he was designed and was created himself by his own God, or he evolved from lower creatures through natural selection. Any assumption about him 'always being there' is the equivalent of believing that a watch you find laying on the ground has 'always been there' - my personal inversion of the argument from design. :D

My chief annoyance is people who declare one particular faith to be superior to another. I can appreciate the concept of a God, but the concept of your very specific God being the right one and everyone elses Gods being false is something I can't understand. I don't think people THINK about it, think that there's no reason whatsoever for your religion to be special - you might have experienced 'God', but unless that God has very personally and explicitely told you he is Jesus or Allah then surely your name and conception of Jesus or Allah is only your personal approximation of this God phenomenon.

I personally think of God as being an imaginary friend, one who takes on a special shape with each religious individual. No two people are the same, and thus no two religious peoples ideas of God will be exactly the same conceptionalisation. Thus, we could even say that two Christian people have two different Gods, one that exists in both of their minds as their seperate ideas and 'experiences' of their God.

Final point and one that rams the point home for me is that humans are the only species to have religion. No other animal has any kind of religion. This demands a heavy explanation. The simple explanation is that God is a human construction, the same way that government is a human construction. The complicated explanation is that God waited until chimpanzees got on the scene then decided it was time to select one and make him special. Why would he do that? Why would evolution suddenly halt at this imperfect pedestal, after hundreds of thousands of millions of years of developing with no purpose or final object in mind? To escape this by resorting to saying that every other creature was also created by God is a completely unsubstantiated claim - if this was true, would animals not also revere God as their creator and feel the force of the spirit that created them and beats in their chests? More to the point, would they not have MORALITY, which is supposedly given to us exclusively through God? If they don't, then they can't have been created by God, or else he specifically made animals immoral... which makes about as much sense as God similarly created parasites that eat African childrens eyes or jellyfish that sting people to death.

13. I have my beliefs. I believe in a higher power, the rest are my beliefs and that is all.

14. I believe that you must not spend your life sucking the dick of some imaginary thing in the clouds.Spend it toking up and fucking bitches!But thats just me :smoking:

15. I am an agnostic atheist. I lack the belief in gods because I have not found any evidence to show that they exist, meaning that I don't take things on faith but empirical and rational grounds.

16. I worship Joe Pesci...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o]YouTube - George Carlin - Religion is bullshit.[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYW2xXxFVtU&feature=related"]YouTube- Bill Maher lays waste to Religion[/ame]

17. I currently believe that "Gods" probably existed, but were false Gods. Take for example Pacific Islanders during WWII (referenced from Ancient Aliens). Allied troops came from the sky, landed, and gave these people supplies. Once the war was over, they left. To try and get them to come back, the Islanders built monuments... plane replicas out of wood and started 'worshipping' around them. I think that this was the building block for a new religion, just like how all religions have come about in the past... it was just alien visitation previously. Again not my revelations, just agreeing with what was presented on that doco.

That technically would make me an athiest, but I still claim to be agnostic, as I've given up having a strong point of view on anything. My "strong views" have been successfully challenged that many times, that I've learned to just remain totally open.

18. perfect in its simplicity

19. I believe Jesus Christ is the son of the living God. Religion is flawed because it has the fingerprints of man but God the Father of Jesus is perfect. We humans are just too damn incredible to have evolved.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6u3eRM3T3I&feature=related]YouTube - Three year old with the Holy Ghost.......[/ame]

Haters Gon Hate