Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Physiological Effects of Keif

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Xenfire, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Hey blades. How's it goin?

I bought a 4 piece grinder a while ago and have been smoking keif bowls pretty regularly. I've noticed a few things after smoking a keif bowl.

- Burning in the lungs and intense coughing. Moreso than straight cannabis with no keif. It is a different feeling than a regular large-rip cough and lasts for about 30 seconds. While researching, I came across theories that this is caused by the sudden extreme bronchial dilation caused by the potent concentration of cannabinoids, causing increased surface area of the alveoli which can be irrated by movement since they aren't usually that dilated. The problem with this theory is that it is common for me to start wheezing after a keif hit and need an inhaler to clear my airways up.

- Sudden salivation. After taking a big keif rip, my mouth fills with saliva very fast. I usually end up spitting a ridiculous amount of saliva into a garbage bin after taking a hit.

- Rise in body temperature. For a couple minutes after smoking keif, I will get very hot and have to take of my sweater or shirt. After a few minutes of cooling down I'm usually cold again (Canadian winters) and I put my sweater back on.

Just wondering if anyone else gets these physiological effects from smoking trichome topped bowls. Is it my body's unique reaction or is this a common effect of keif? Any thoughts on the wheezing after keif? Many people say their airways feel very open after keif because of THC's bronchial dilating effects but I feel the opposite. I considered maybe a slight allergy because I've experienced an itchy throat before while smoking but not commonly.

Just speculating, anybody have any input?

2. NO. Sadly have never smoked kief but i have dabbed wax and layered bowls with hash many times. Wheezing fuckin sucks.

Attached Files:

3. Whenever i smoke kief, I use my vape pen so I never cough and the hit is wonderful. And maybe you are more experienced than me with kief but i have never experienced anything besides getting higher...

4. I smoked a blunt once, and got cotton mouth.
    I smoked a kief blunt once, and got cotton mouth.
    I smoked a hash oil blunt once, and got cotton mouth.
    I smoked a chop ass blunt, and got cotton mouth.
    I smoked a skimpy blunt, and got cotton mouth.

Fuck cotton mouth.

• Like Like x 1
  5. You should really keep a bottle of water just in case you go in a coughing fit. Maybe ita cause you're taking huge hits? Remember It is kief you know, not weed lol

6. THC irritates the lungs too, idk if it's because of the bronco dilation or not but that could be part of the wheezing... i get lots of saliva too but that's how you know you're about to get fucked up lol

7. Yeah i get hot after takin a fat ass rip, with kief but if the bud is good sometimes bud fucks me up too. Its like drinking whiskey makes you hot. And yeah kief makes me salivate like a motherfucker haha i call it reverse cotton mouth haha.

Also i have notice that kief does burn harsher than just buds maybe its because of the keif surface area cause the bowl to burn hotter and quicker

8. I have noticed similar effects when smoking keif but have few answers on physiologically why but possibly the increase in body temp could be related to an increase in heart rate. For the problem of harshness I usually use an oil rig bong to smoke keif its much more smooth also if you compress the keif I have noticed its not as harsh for pipe smoking.

9. The fact that THC is an irritant mixed with the extreme bronchial dilation makes sense for the cause of the "burning" cough. Your airways dilate, exposing more surface area which can then be irritated by the THC.

Water doesn't help the cough. And that can be explained by the paragraph above. The burn isn't in the throat, it is in the lungs, therefore it cannot be lessened by drinking water. Water will help your throat but will do nothing to stop a keif-cough.

Also, I have read that trichomes burn hotter than plant matter which could also contribute to the "burn". Keif also burns up very quickly compared to bud, so you get lots of very potent smoke, very fast. For this reason, when I pack bowls I generally do it like so:

I pack a layer of weed into my bowl.
    I then scoop some keif on top of the bottom layer.
    Next I put another layer of bud on top, enough to cover the keif.

This makes it so I don't directly expose the keif to flame. The ember from the top layer of bud will burn down and hit the keif layer followed by the bottom layer. by the time the bowl is ready to pull, all the keif is burned so none is wasted when pulling the bowl at the end. These bowls always end up pretty fat, but that's how I like it :smoking:

10. I can not explain your symptoms but if it is that bad then ask yourself, Is the irritation and side affects worth the high? If not then maybe you should just take out the kief screen in your grinder and stick to the plant and not just straight kief.

Although since you said that you mix it with some weed maybe this won't cure your problem, good luck though

11. I personally like to use a dab of hash wax and covered in keif they complement eachother nicely. It is really efficient it only takes me 3 or so dabs to get wicked toasted. But I hear ya ritzeaz nothing beats a nice bowl of herb. :)

12. Haha yeah its worth it

13. sup dude! you're not alone, i get the exactly same thing when i smoke kief! i've been wandering about it too

14. I can relate to the saliva thing and throat/lungs burning.

But one time I ripped a bong that was mostly keif and I had a mean headache immediately after, eventually wore off as I got higher

15. #15 Xenfire, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
    Just to clarify, I'm not looking for ways to make these effects go away. I was simply curious if these symptoms were characteristic of the keif itself or rather my body's own reaction to it.

I made this thread because I found it interesting that I was experiencing different physiological effects consistently from smoking keif vs. just smoking straight bud. These are my personal observations and I'm interested in comparing them to other's observations.

16. Yeah i feel like when i rip a kief bowl i do cough way more then when im just tokin bud

17. I think most will agree keif is harsh. And I need to spit after any big hit ( nugs, oil, keif) but I only get hot when I take dabs that are even slightly to big

18. I definitely salivate and get overheated after a nice kief bowl and as you wrote, that's probably because of the higher concentration of cannabinoids. Another physiological effect of kief I notice is a great big grin upon my face a minute after inhaling... :D

19. Psychological effects are it gets you high.

20. Press it first and it's a lot less harsh, plus it burns slower and is more efficient than loose kief.