Physics and space stuff...

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Shirogane7, Dec 25, 2012.

1. So this image consists of the planets in our solar system and in the background the other stars, planets etc are rotating independently ?

2. No. The planets are rotating around the sun from gravity
    The picture shows the planets individual movement from a fixed point outside the solar system.instead of using the sun as a fixed.point

3. I think I do understand the viewpoint just not sure about the whole picture. Its the background image that im curious about. The background stars/planets are a part of the same gravitational pull and are shown to move in comparison to the main part of the image ? (excuse my ignorance)

4. The vantage point is moving, not the stars in the background.

5. Cheers, now I understand the image. :smoking:

6. Uranus and Neptune struck me the hardest - at first glance i thought they were comets. but then when i realized their orbits, thinking about comets was even crazier!

7. #27 illadelphin, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
    this may be my new favorite thread :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THIS IS THE TITZ :smoking:

[​IMG]

broccoli bro

[​IMG]

8. [​IMG]

Comics are cool too!...Right?!

9. ^^^ Ahhahah. Nice!

10. This thread is awesome and very under rated!

11. http://news.discovery.com/space/higgs-boson-discovery-universe-end-130219.htm

I really want to read up on the physics behind the specific mass and its unstable fate. That's awfully certain for something that hasn't ever happened to our knowledge. I suppose this implies that our universe, as we define it by its laws and behaviors, was born spontaneously and destined to die anticlimactically. Another disappointment Mr. god particle... :bongin:

12. What blows my mind is that everything in space when viewed in 2D is a circle.

If u viewed earth in 2d it would be a flat circle inside another circle inside another circle and so on....

On a 3d level its all spheres.

Tons of spheres inside spheres inside spheres....

Space, then earth, the humans, then cells, then atoms, then protons, then neutrons.

Everything breaks down into spheres.

Its insane. Something with spheres and tetrahedrons is the reason consciousness exists.

13. What if we viewed it in 4d?? Would we be able to see time? :smoking:

14. Try the Viking museum in York - 4d will smell-o-vision!

Not nice smells tho tbh ....

UK Long Time Toker. Arizer vape my fav new toy

15. Not all cells are circles/spheres - some circular ones arent even spheres.

As far as celestial objects are concerned - circles just make the more sense. Based on how gravity works, you would never get a cubic star or planet.

What about the planets/stars - mostly lying in planes around their centers. Also, orbits are ellipses.

So a lot arent spheres/circles, and other things just have to be spheres.

I'm a visual person, so this is pretty much what I picture when I imagine our solar system in motion. I'm glad a 3D representation of it exists like this, makes me wish I was into modeling and animation.

It's so awesome thinking about our universe and how it's constantly in motion.

17. #38 lilro, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013
    What if instead of flying in a straight line like the image shows, the Sun is actually in a huge ass orbit around something even bigger. Like what if the entire Milky Way is actually orbiting around something else, and there's some giant object that has multiple galaxies orbiting IT. And the reason space seems endless to us is because if you keep going "straight" you're actually looking in a big ass circle, and we are now seeing places that Earth hasn't been in billions of years, but will return to that spot billions (or trillions, or w/e) of years from now. Just like if you were to go outside and go "straight", you'd eventually circle the Earth and end up where you started.

18. The sun IS orbiting the center of the milky way - it appears as a straight line in the gif because that is only a very small section of that path being represented - basically if you zoom in on a large circle enough it will appear straight, just like the earth seems flat but isnt.

Right. But what if the Milky Way is orbiting something even larger? And that object is orbiting something even larger? And it goes on forever.