Phresh carbon filter problem

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 730dipdip187, Apr 18, 2012.

1. My setup is carbon filter-ducting-hood-ducting-fan-ducting to attic ( this is in a tent) I have a 452 Cfm fan with a phresh 400 filter. Me and my buddy wanted to test it out to see if it worked. So I turn my fan on and get inside the tent and close it. I blew cigarette smoke into carbon filter and my friend was outside the tent with his face in front of the exhaust fan and smelled the smoke and it was a strong smell. No leaks in any ducting and I have a whole lot of neg pressure. I have no idea why it's doing this. I heard phresh was a good brand. Only factor I could think of is that the carbon filter was hanging in my tent setup for months before ever using it. But idk if filters go bad from sitting too long? Somebody please help

2. I don't think they can go bad from just sitting, especially only a month or two.

One thing I did notice is that you're pushing 452 cfm through a 400 cfm filter. The Phresh 400 filter is rated at a MAXIMUM of 400 cfm. Theoretically, it gives the carbon longer contact time with the air to pull out the smell if it's slower through the filter.

Maybe look into a fan speed controller and bump your cfm down under 400.

3. Yeah I also thought about that. But when I blew that cigg smoke thru my friend said he could smell it like I was standing in front of him and blew cigg smoke straight in his face. Pretty much nothing got scrubbed at all. You would think a Lil bit would have been scrubbed.

4. Most likely problem not in the filter but in your poorly designed cooling system it self .Your fan is powerful and it sucks air not just trough the filter but also trough slots in your reflector .2 solutions to the problem :1 Seal all the slots in your reflector with silicone (problem with this approach that it will be impossible to change the bulb... 2) Approach is to have independent cooling for your reflector (intake duct coming from one of the tent ports attached to the reflector,2nd duct attached to the other side of the reflector ,attach free end of that duct to your fan and exhaust the air out . Then get 2nd fan (150cfm will be fine) with 4" fresh filter and connect them together (you can use duct in between) and exhaust the air out . I am 300% sure you not going to have any odor problems as long as you maintain negative pressure in your tent.
    This is what I have and never had any odor problems.

5. I have a 6 in phresh filter and yeah it's connected to the hood and fan thru one ducting line. Because I can only use one port hole to exhaust my air out cuz the porthole on the left goes to my closet and up into the attic to exhaust air. How would I do that if I have to cool light thru one set of ducting and the the carbon filter thru another set with another fan

6. I had no clue you have tent with limited count of ports (No name from e-Bay?)
    I use DR90 it has 2- 8" adjustable went ports on the bottom ,2 ports on the top part and one port on the ceiling , I use one of the bottom port as tent fresh air intake ,two ports on the top for independent reflector cooling and one on the ceiling to exhaust the "dirty" air out trough carbon filter.... Port count in Secret jardin is very standard , similar to many other BRAND name tents.... If you have something unusual with couple of ports then... I rest my case..... Good luck.

7. I have a grow lab I have a lot of ports it's just the way my tent is setup next to the closet where the outtake air goes to the attic. If I use another port to exhaust my carbon filter air it would be goin into my bedroom where my fresh air is comin from to go into tent. And ur not supposed to do that right?

8. Actually it is not going to raise your room temperature that much only couple of degrees , as long as you exhausting the air from the reflector in to the attic , just try it.

9. I thought I couldnt exhaust my air from my tent into the same room where my intake air is coming from? I'm not worried about temps cuz I can fix that. I juss need to get my carbon filter to work? Maybe my exhaust fan should run for a Lil bit before testing the filter? Cuz I've seen setups that work fine with the carbon filter, hood and fan connected all too each other by one duct line

10. I think problem in your reflector ( bad seal?) Most likely fan is sucking air trough side slots ( where your glass panel connected to the reflector and it is why you have some odor problems , but I can be wrong .

11. I actually noticed that on my hood. I can put my mouth on the sides of it and blow right in. It's got the foam material all around it to seal it but like I said I can blow air into it. I'm gonna seal it with some type of sealant. Butttttt when I did the test with the cigg I blew the smoke straight I into the carbon filter. I didn't juss stand in the tent and smoke. I actually blew it in the carbon filter and watched it suck up thru. That's why I think it has something to do with my filter.

12. Are you positive its full with carbon? Ever opened it up?

13. Had the same issue with my carbon filter, but I just assumed it wasnt for filtering that type of odour. When it came to my tent it has always kept the smell of veg out of the air 100% & my strains stink, I wouldnt worry about it.