PHP/SQL Developer

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by dman91, Nov 6, 2009.

1. #1 dman91, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
    Hello GC,
    I am a web developer and a full time college student. A few months ago I thought of this idea and ever since, I've been running with it. I was hoping that maybe I could get in touch with some fellow developers and maybe get some feedback on my project? Anyways, I'll start off by giving a brief description of what it is I'm trying to do.

So we're all familiar with GC and possibly some other Cannabis forums. The major problem I see with all cannabis communities is that the content is very unorganized and lots of the time people are all too willing to say "search the forums" without even considering how cluttered and unorganized things really are(not to mention the search function sucks). So this is my vision, I want to create a cannabis community that is 100% custom and does a great job of organizing information about the plant we all know and love. I've been working on this project for 3-4 months now and I've made ALOT of progress. I'm not spamming(do you see a url?), I simply want some feedback from some fellow developers. Also please keep in mind that I've been in web development for over 6+ years and I'm not just rambling on about ideas that I can't accompish(infact, most of the following is already finished).

So here are a few of the ideas that I thought of(and am implementing).

Price Database - This could be considered the idea that started my idea. Originally I wanted to create a website where the prices of street-level purchased cannabis was documented. Eventually you could type in any city, region, or country and see price statistics about cannabis in that area(avg price per gram(low, mid, high grade) and other relevant content about that city. This Price database goes a lot deeper then this but this is all the info that I want to reveal about it atm.

Guide System - So this is a big one here. Most of the guides on GC(or other sites) are simply a topic in the forums(sometimes stickied). In my opinion this is very unorganized and it makes it hard for newcomers(especially the non-tech-savvy ones) to find the info they are looking for. So I want to create a system similar to the forums(but totally seperate) that categorizes thousands of user-created guides. Guides are broken down into 30+ "main categories"(Rolling guides, Amatuer Growing, Determining Quality, Recipes, etc..). From there users can create their own sub-categories(they are suggested existing ones to help stop dupes). These various sub-categories could be anything(Cooking -> Hash -> Isopropyl). Guides are voted on by members(and guests) using a 10-star rating system so that good guides are moved to the top and bad ones are moved down. This also goes a lot deeper then what I've said but this is just a preview ;).

Strain Archive - So here's another pretty good idea(IMO). First things first, grow logs SHOULD have their own tools. People who truly grow cannabis should have tools at their disposal to document their grows. That's the first part of this idea. Certified Growers that must go through an approval process can create "grow logs" which is an actual system(not a forum topic) with various tools to document aspects of their grow(strain, height, enviroment, and a lot more). This info is compiled into what I call the "Strain Archive". The Strain archive ties in with the price database(members who submit prices can choose a strain). With this info I can show the average price of a strain(by region), the grow characteristics of the strain(documented by real growers). Eventually growers will be able to "create strains" by cross-breeding already existing strains. These strains will have to go trhough an approval process too and once a name has been documented(ie: Kush crossed with Sour Diesel = Sour Kush) then it can't be used again(it can only be documented further). Once again this is just a small preview of what's to come...

Much More - These hypothetical(almost reality) systems are just a few of the various aspects of my "cannabis community" that I'd like to implement. As with most of the communities already out there, I want to have forums, photo albums, group systems(to let people organize events), blogs, reputation system, friends, instant message(like facebook), IRC public chat, subscribed topics, and MUCH MORE! The main difference though, is that EVERYTHING I'm talking about is CUSTOM written, none of this vbulletin bullshit that gets old to look at. I am very good at Ajax/Javascript so almost all of these systems are VERY user-friendly(like facebook). I've spent the last 4 months turning lots of these ideas into reality so I'd appreciate any/all feedback(including criticism).

I'm not going to post the URL because some of the mods here can be VERY anal(some of the members too). Right now I'd really just like some feedback on the ideas I've mentioned and possibly some potential flaws in them...

P.S. I'm not gonna say to PM me for the URL(since that would be spamming :rolleyes:) but I'm also not gonna tell you NOT to ;)

P.P.S - Graphic Design has never been my specialization(I'm more of a programmer) so if any of you GD's out there are interested in this idea I would LOVE to get in contact with you and speak more about this project(there are incentives ;)).

Feel free to email me at anytime:

cannaprice@gmail.com

2. What happened to this idea? It sounded like a good idea!