Photoperiod Question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by JamesIII, Jun 4, 2020.

1. So I have a plant that receives probably 9am-2pm direct sun night. So 7 hours of direct. From 2pm on it’s not even indirect it’s just light by reflection essentially.

Obviously my plant can determine the sun is raising earlier each morning even if by just a couple minutes. So genetically my plant is aware we’re expanding in day light not decreasing.

My question comes here. And I’ve read about Sativa vs indica photo requirements and see some conversations on a 14/10 working for flowering indoors.

I’m mostly wondering if once my indica (planted since March 2nd) would begin to recognize the summer Solstice and begin to trigger pre flower once it saw it was getting less day light.

I am asking because obviously right now in so cal I am getting over 14 hours of exposure.

When I look at my plant at 6pm-8pm you can clearly see the fan leaves are not erect and in no way photosynthetizing. They’ve shut down for the down.

Would I be within reason to assume my plant would just see the change in season and begin it’s flower?

We read so much about a 12/12 but do not consider what the plant saw from germination and seedling. If the plant is already shutting down earlier than sunset, and do you think it’s possible for it to begin flower early July ? Or would I be waiting till possibly September for flowering to complete?

I’m mostly curious and know obly time will tell my answers.

Just curious if anyone has insight from a botany perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. It's still getting light if outside and will grow a little. I think it's better on the morning sun, the evening sun is so hot.
    When I grow outside, I've got a compass and always plant on the north to east mountain side. I want the morning sun, plus the dirt is very rich on that side. The ambient light will keep it in veg until the days start to shorten.
    Usually I cut mine from mid sept to October, and I grow Indica's

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. We read so much about a 12/12 but do not consider what the plant saw from germination and seedling. If the plant is already shutting down earlier than sunset, and do you think it’s possible for it to begin flower early July ? Or would I be waiting till possibly September for flowering to complete?
    12/12 is an indoor thing, 14,5 hrs of light is the trigger point for outdoors. It has to be total darkness, anything over a full moon brightness will stop flowering.

4. Southern California is unique in that we stay warm enough to grow Cannabis outside all year round as it never freezes here.
    You do need to understand the flowering cycles very well to get the plants to do what you want when you want them to.
    I can pull off 4 Harvests a year here near the beach.
    Jan 1st = Harvest, Takes cuts for clones, Set out vegged plants in the just harvested holes.
    March 15th = Same
    June 1st = Same
    Oct 15th = Same

[​IMG]
    This entire set was vegged under 24-0 so it'll stay lit up until Aug1st.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hey BNW, thanks keeping me optimistic. I look forward to seeing what happens with these.

Love your setup

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. What triggers a plant to flower is not the decreasing light bit the increasing darkness. During darkness there is is enzyme that is activated that triggers flowering. Once approximately 10 hours of darkness have been reached, most plants will begin to flower in the fall.

• Like Like x 1