Photo of Phelps smoking bong unites pot smokers

Discussion in 'General' started by Superjoint, Feb 6, 2009.

1. 02/04/2009 @ 9:25 am

Filed by David Edwards and Joe Byrne

[​IMG]
    The photo circulating around the Internet of world-famous Olympian Michael Phelps smoking a bong seems to be getting a positive response from the outspoken internet community of marijuana users. The photo first appeared in 'News of the World,' and made its way to the celebrity magazines.

CNN's Jeanne Moos reports that the PR fiasco that has surrounded this picture has come mostly in the form of You-tube parodies and clever blog-spots. Eddie Izzard responded with a 'Stoned Olympics' routine. A Facebook group titled 'I don't care that Michael Phelps smoked a bong' sprung up and attracted hundreds of members overnight. Given that Michael Phelps was the most popular person on Facebook this summer, topping even Barack Obama, it seems natural -- even organic -- that the Internet community could forgive him for smoking pot.

The Richland County sheriff alleges that Phelps may face charges, if the date of the photo was recorded. "I just don't think...you can publicize and say I'm sorry, and we'll just forget about it. He's not above the law."

However, after Jeanne Moos' report, CNN's American Morning anchor John Roberts questioned the sheriff's assertion. "I don't think smoking it is a crime," he said.

2. Superjoint, your slackin theres been like 15 threads on this! lol

However yours I think is the only one to talk about hwo its bringing stoners together so its okay.

3. #3 jaybleezy, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
    no no hes the admin, it doesnt matter. Its only if a member with < 100 post starts a thread thats already been made that action is taken.

Thanks for your concern, glad i could clear this up for you

(dont take seriously) :rolleyes:

4. Don't be a douche. He is pointing out the fact that stoners are uniting about the picture, not announcing that "OMG michael phelps got caught!". I am pretty sure he knows that it was talked about here.

5. Perhaps i should have added that last line there in the original post. Dont act like if i hadnt said it that someone else wouldnt have came in here and said something similar.

6. Yeah sarcasm detectors don't work on the internet :smoke:. You're right though I expected someone to come in here and cry about the injustices of an internet forum.

7. Not only that he owns the forum so if he wants to put in capital letters 'KILL ALL THE WHITE MAN" he can do that :)

I kind of do hope phelps get railed for this. Hes a FAMOUS athlete, he should KNOW that getting caught doing stupid shit like that would cause some trouble for him. Someone like him with that much sponsor/money to lose should be squeaky fucking clean.

8. Just tell your fans you were too high to win 8 gold medals, they'll understand......

I would shoot someone if they came out with a commercial like that.

9. I would probably literally DIE of laughter if they did. :D

10. I really don't think what he did should matter. It's his own business, except got released to the public. I think it was probably intentionally, if that is true and had been said I just haven't read anything yet. So don't flame me for ignorance, it's a fact that I am.

But this picture I think helps a little with the outlook on tree right now in this country. It would be sweet if a bunch of celebrities started coming out and speaking bout it. It's beat we have to hide, while drunken idiots are driving down the road as we speak. I don't know what I'm talking about anymore.:bongin:

11. You mean like... Seth Rogen, Woody Harrelson, Willie Nelson, Frances McDormand, James Franco, Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, Justin Timberlake, and Snoop Dogg (and just about any other rapper)?

There are plenty of celebs that toke or have said they have no problem with toking.

12. #12 Smokeitdown, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
  13. I think a lot more people than we all realize smoke marijuana but just can't come out to the public about it due to their career. I mean - I'm going into the medical field and there is no way that I'm going to be telling my colleagues about my love for marijuana. You gotta keep your professional life separate from your private life. This shit people are spewing about how he is a disgrace to marijuana users is dumb. If he was a comedian then it would be a different story.

14. Ya I know that there are known smokers, but i was talking more along the lines of a cause movement? I don't want to sound like I'm trying to get everyone to try and get it legalized. Just speak about it more.

People think it's some shady dangerous thing, and people need to realize everyone does it. You don't see a bunch of hipe about all those celebs you named on CNN. What I'm saying is, potheads should take over CNN and rule the country. The end.

15. Lol...