Phone in puddle - How long should I leave it in rice?

Discussion in 'General' started by lax&bake, Feb 15, 2010.

1. It fell in for about 5 seconds before I grabbed it. I took the battery out immediately and shook out any water that had soaked in, which wasn't much. I ran inside and put a vacuum on all of the holes and seams to try to get most of the water out before putting it in rice.

It's been in since about 2:30 and it's now 9:30. Should I leave it in overnight or should it be fine now?

2. #2 Misc, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2010
    It should be fine..

I jumped into a pool once with my phone in my pocket. Needless to say it got destroyed.

But 5 seconds in a puddle won't do much damage; you should be straight, though if you wanna be on the super-safe side I'd leave it overnight.

3. yes at least over night

i rather leave it in rice to long, than to turn it on and lose everything saved and end up buying a new phone

or maybe you don't mind getting a new one idk

wait it out...

4. For most electronic devices, once you get that bitch wet it's done. IMO take the loss unless you were lucky enough to get a survivor.

5. dude this is not true, i dropped my phone in my tea b4 and it took like 4 days to dry but it worked fine and same with my friend but he dropped his in water. i dunno maybe it was luck lol :p

6. It would vary from device to device but it has to be BONE dry. Trying to start it with too much moisture can cause shorts and burn the whole thing out. For my remote, mp3 player, and phone, I waited about 48 hours. I put it under a heat lamp with constant air flow from a fan on low.

They all turned out fine.

7. Well it's been in rice for about 33 hours now...not sure if I want to take it out and give it a shot or wait a solid 48 hours before trying my chances.

8. Soak it in rubbing alcohol. The rubbing alcohol will force the water out.