Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

"Phoenix Tears" uses

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Apr 26, 2012.

1. I just recently made my version of Rick Simpson's Phoenix Tears recipe to see if it was as potent as it was supposed to be and then what to do with the stuff once I made it without petrochemicals. I'm not dying of cancer but I do have basal cell skin cancer and lost part of an ear to it, but it's not bad and my coconut oil takes care of it well. It seems that from everything I've read, that the Tears corporation plays up the "hospice care" effects of the oil and while their message is redeeming for those patients, its kind of depressing to me. There's got to be a way this "miracle" drug could also help those of us with other just as serious but less fatal issues. Personally, I have severe back issues so I need something to cover that nerve pain plus all the other old hippie aches and pain. I would much rather take a cannacap than my morphine any day and have. Works great. What if someone with pre-MS is experiencing severe peripheral pain that nothing helps. Couldn't a miracle drug like these tears help with that? I developed a cold extraction system that will have a magic honey elixir, all natural, within your hands in a few hours instead of several weeks with no alcohol left and just thc and honey and whatever flavor you want it to taste like remaining. Several ounces of honey for the cost of a bag of bud, but 5 times better. I gave this elixir to my ms friend and suggested about a half dropper full under the tongue. She didn't think it was such great stuff for her due to her high tolerance ever though she is a small person. She decided to double the dose for her and now she loves it. A regular tolerant person, half would have been enough.

This elixir was made an old fashion way with Everclear, top trim and popcorn bud, mainly bud of Purple Widow. Someone gave it to me. It was done with a cold extraction method I varied a bit. It turned out great as the testimony of all my friends. Due to my success I decided to to something else a little different. I picked Rick Simpkin's Tears project and learned all I could about it. Turns out that the man himself was more altruistic than after the corporation was formed and business the game.

I was finding complaints that his formula took the concentration too far and that it affected absorption times and also it was basically non-narcotic due to the way applied, but it was also said it was smokeable and edible but there were doubts there, too. And I wasn't finding any disagreement. So I'm providing it. I made my version of tears 2 days after getting out of rehab for serious spinal surgery. I had set it up before surgery. I don't know why I made it, maybe just feverish. In fact I barely remember making it at all. I took it with Everclear down to the think dark oil but didn't want it to be too much like the complaints of the original.

My first test of this was when I swirled the hash oil while a little liquid so I'd be able to rub a paper with the residue. I rolled that joint with top notch hybrid which should hot have produced the effect. I'm a 42 year pot adventurer and assure you of my knowledge and tolerance levels. I lit the first hit but instead of me hitting the joint, it hit me. Knocked my lights right out, almost. I hadn't tasted hash oil like that since the early '70's. I took after a long brain session another pull off this joint and it pulled back like Alice down to wonderland. I gave up at this point and asked for help. I asked the Grass City community what could be done with it. Everyone swears by Rick Simpkins, but no one has come up with anything other than curing cancer. I put a thread in seasoned tokers and to date have nothing. So I figured I'd put it BKS and other chefs on this forum for more ideas.

Let me tell you what I did with the "tears". I knew that if I just smoked it I would get nothing accomplished for all that cash for top bud. I was out of all my edible stuff and needed more elixir, too. Since I went thru the process one way, there was no reason I couldn't reconstitute it, at least with Everclear. Once there I made more elixir and have given my ms friends trials of this new formulation works as well or better than the first. Okay, that's one thing. What else has anyone done with this process that is organic and beyond belief? Let's bounce some ideas off each other if you've used this process. Known recipes and multi-tested sessions must be the norm. The elixir was excellent as I'm sure any other product from this would be if kept organic.

BadKittySmiles, I like your stuff and use as examples, but haven't been able to make Hash stuff due to finances and other reasons. I do now so I'm going to be trying your stuff soon. Look forward to it. Hope you like discussion.:smoke:

2. #2 AgMan, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
    I guess nobody uses this due to the lack of replies...

I have recently just started the "Phoenix Tears" process as outline by Rick Simpson's website.

I came across this when my uncle developed bone cancer, but he passed away before I was able to make this for him. I do not plan to let this happen to a loved one again without at least trying.

My father-in-law who is missing a leg, had his only good foot shattered by getting it ran over. He had major reconstructive surgery, and while he was under they explored his throat via endoscope and found an esophageal tumor. A PET scan was done and they also found lymphatic cancer. Since I now keep some oil on hand (in case a friend/relative gets a medical issue) I gave this to him right away. He has stopped taking his pain meds in favor of the oil, and is now able to sleep 10-12 hours per night (much better than a few hours at a time). I have only just begun the process. I am trying to get him up to the recommended 1 gram per day and get through 60 grams before he gets another PET scan. I will post an update if/when it works. I have high hopes for this medicine, especially since the docturds basically shrugged their shoulders and said nothing could be done.

I personally don't like the idea of using naptha, but I do seem to be able to get most of it out with an over-the-night coffee mug warming application. It becomes very solid at room temperature after I do this, and I cannot detect residual naptha (via taste and smell). I have made oil for recreational purposes using safflower oil, but I went to the naptha thinking that it might take things cooking oil leaves behind (I do not know if this is true or not)... I have just been using to the Rick Simpson method for medicinal purposes...

His website says to use choice, top buds only, but I do not have the luxury of growing 1600+ plants as he did before getting busted. I simply cannot afford to make it out of tops buds. I use top quality trim and bottom buds that I would otherwise make into BHO for smoking. I know the quality of my BHO is top notch (at least everyone who has smoked is says it is the best hash they have had, and want more and more of it all the time). Lately, I have not been making BHO since I have tears to provide. I honestly can't imagine that "leftovers" are somehow worse. Granted, the yield is obviously less... A pound of trim is not going to give me 60 grams of tears, but it isn't far off. I tend to get ~20 grams of tears from 6oz of trim and bottom buds. Honestly, if I used a pound of my bud I would expect much more than 60 grams of tears (not to toot my own horn or anything ;) )...

:confused::confused::confused:Do you think trim is somehow worse than top buds for this sort of medicinal use? :confused::confused::confused:

:confused::confused::confused:Also, could you detail YOUR method of extraction that does not use petroleum distillates?:confused::confused::confused:

I don't think BHO is as bad as naptha since it is highly volatile and I have been heating this on my coffee mug warmer over night in a vial and it is like a rock at room temp.

As for "other uses":
    I gave some to a friend whose dog has an exposed tumor of some sort of her belly. He has be giving the dog a dose at night to help her sleep, and has been rubbing the oil on the exposed tumor. He has seen the tumor begin to shrink in size, and his dog has regained vigor. (This is probably considered animal abuse, but I think giving radioactive chemicals given to people and/or animals is much more abusive and somewhat barbaric)

This same friend is super paranoid about the Japanese reactor pumping radioactive particles into the atmosphere that blows right on top of our state. He has been taking the maintenance dose to prevent cancer.

One more: My dad ran out of morphine for his bone spurs and arthritis pain and was going through major withdrawal. I gave him the tears and it relieved the vast majority of his symptoms, and he thinks it works better for his type of pain than the morphine does. I am trying to get him off of morphine by using the oil.

3. I don't have any helpful input to add but I want to commend you on your work helping improve the quality of people's lives through non-narcotic means. You are doing good things for people.

4. Ok ill bite what is this an edible or like a cannabis infused body oil or what? and if it works for your family and friends then good for you man

5. i want to make rick simpsons oil for my vitiligo since i read or saw a video somewhere that this hemp oil works very well for autoimmune diseases. but i don't have the means to get it or make it at the moment.

6. I had forgotten I'd started this, mainly because I got absolutely no response.

I believe that a combination of good top trim and the small popcorn buds is perfect for this, especially if it's medical strains. I use that combination in all the tinctures and oil I make since it's all covered in trichomes. I don't grow either and have to rely on others for my material and fortunately they always give me 75 percent untrimmed popcorn, all top grade.

I made a version of the Phoenix Tears twice just to see what it would do. That was why I started this thread. I'm not sick although I am disabled. I had a kidney transplant almost 20 years ago and it's treating me really well. I fell in Yosemite a few years ago and my disability is spine and joint related, so I didn't need it to cure something bad. I use a concentrated cannabis coconut oil daily and I'm sure it's keeping me healthy. Got labs back today that were perfect. Anyway, I found some ways to use a dab here or a dab there, but I have never been fond of trying to chase a dab of oil all over a glass bowl. Other than that and putting a dab in a capsule, it didn't have much use for me in my present state. Maybe sometime in the future, though.

I also used a cold process, but with ethanol instead of naptha or hexane or any of the other petrochemicals. It's just my preference for non-petroleum products plus the alcohol makes it more bioavailable going through the digestive system. The process is basically the same except that the marijuana is decarbed first and then placed in a cold freezer for at least 24 hours as well as doing the same for the Everclear. I have made the base for it several times since this thread was started and have it pretty well perfected. I use the same ethanol base for the canna honey and glycerin tincture and my canna coconut oil and caps. And if I get another basal cell carcinoma, I'll make some more "tears". Both times I made it, I wound up reconstituting it into some honey. Anyway, I made a Green/Gold Dragon, pretty concentrated and it only takes a day after that initial 24 hour freezing period. I use an ounce with a pint of ethanol and 2 oz/750ml. Put it together and shake it 15 minutes, put it back in the freezer for 4 hours or more and shake again for fifteen minutes and strain. If you want even more potency, do another run through the material and the freezer with fresh ethanol. When finished with the second wash, combine the batches and reduce the alcohol off either using a rice cooker or double boiler. When it gets to the thickness you want, remove it from the heat. You can make either a smokeable or ingest it, thick liquid or a gummy ball you scrape off the plate. I believe that BadKittySmiles has a similar concentrate recipe in this forum using a heated method instead of a cold process. I did try the end result and was quite pleased with the outcome.

I also use narcotics due to my back problems and since I've started to use concentrated coconut oil and other concentrated tinctures, my pain has become very manageable and I'm even able to go a few days without it until my body lets me know I haven't had any. Since I don't have a steady access to a lot of trim, I can't foresee being secure enough to give up the pain meds completely.

Here's my thread where I outline the process (I put the wrong amount of weed I used, though) and there are some blurry pictures of my latest batches. :D
    http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...-goes-psychedelicsams-magic-honey-elixir.html

7. #7 scottio19, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
    Ok, time to be "that guy". soooo what in these "phoenix tears" make them more cancer-fighting than other hashes?

naptha (paint-thinner) is a non-polar solvent like butane, but is much less clean than butane or n-hexane. It will produce the same results as bho, the only reason Rick uses it is because you can buy it cheap by the 55gal or 5gal

here is a quote from his website:
    "The finished oil or in reality (grease) is about as anti poisonous as you can get. Even if there was a trace amount of solvent residue remaining, the oil itself would act upon it to neutralize any harmful poisonous effect. I don’t recommend the use of butane as a solvent to produce this medication, since it is very volatile and would require the use of expensive equipment to neutralize the danger. Also using butane to produce the oil does not decarboxylate the finished product, so oils produced in this manner would be much less effective for medicinal use."

^^ Everything is wrong with Rick's quote. What he is basically saying is if there is leftover naptha in your extract, it is okay because of the power of the "medicine". that is bullshit, naptha is toxic and must either be vac purged or purged with another solvent with a lower bp. Also,
    -naptha is explosive just like butane, which doesn't even require expensive equipent! (turkey baster, coffee filter, butane, dish).
    -that last part about decarboxylation was bullshit too, bho is decarbed during the heat purge. no different than naptha oil

finally, by using ethanol, this "medicine" is nothing more than iso hash or "evaporated green dragon". people should know this!

edit: please note, PsychadelicSam that these words are to refute those of Rick Simpson. not trying to get personal, even though I did use 'bullshit' quite a bit lol

8. No problem. No offense taken because you called it right. Using the ethanol does make it a concentrated Dragon, whether green or gold, but the end result is basically the same as the "tears" but more "natural". Even BKS has a similar recipe for a hash oil concentrate using heat instead of cold. The end result is essentially the same. BadKat sums it up as a matter of bioavailability. Plus, the Simpson method doesn't incorporate decarbing of the buds and is so concentrated in a non-bioavailable form, that it often passes through the system without fully breaking down. BadKat's posts provide alternate recipes for more bioavailable products for ingestion. I personally have some spots I suspect to be pre-basal cell carcinomas and I prefer a highly concentrated cannabis coconut oil to rub on. This has erased all of these spots in short time. I researched the Phoenix Tears top to bottom and wasn't very impressed. That's why I started this thread. I couldn't figure out what was so special about it compared to other methods. I thought I could do as well with ethanol and did, but had nowhere to go from there. So I turned it back to the Dragon and made something else. I never got a response here until the other day. It's an interesting topic though and gives a chance to compare and critique different methods of doing the same thing. It wouldn't hurt the friendly nature of civilized debate by curtailing the use of "bullshit" and other such negative responses, though.:D

9. I am glad that you are critical of Simpson :) I could not tell that from reading your posts.

however I think the word "bullshit" accurately describes many claims Rick Simpson makes on his website. Not to mention calling something we all make on GC a cancer cure and then giving it a glamorous name like "phoenix tears".

Lol I could make qwiso, call it God's Miracle, then hype it up to be a cancer cure. I'd be doing the exact same thing as him.

10. I completely agree. In fact, when I started reading the "baloney" in the corporate info, I could tell it was mainly an advertisement for a high end private therapeutic center using the popularity of Medical Marijuana to make the big bucks. Rick's initial goals may have been altruistic, but it got highjacked by the almighty dollar. My opinion. As far as "God's Miracle", I think you're already too late to coin that phrase. :rolleyes:

11. I'll try to get back to the main topic and contribute something now. it seems that I only have critical things to say on your threads :eek:

using solvents are a good idea in your case, psychadelicsam. because your 'magic honey elixir' uses ethanol to obtain the oils rather than sieving using bubble bags to obtain unbroken trichomes, the thc is already free and does not have to be heated or mixed into the honey to break 'glandular material'

maybe this is why it could work sans-alcohol. If honey works, then something in it would have to act as a carrier. Or does spreading out the concentrate to a larger volume (i.e. honey) allow absorbtion? This would mean using a carrier is unnecessary, and that would be a big statement

12. I have read a lot about the transfer of thc into honey. There's a lot of different posts on a lot of other websites where it is embraced more, but to my surprise there are a lot of the older posts on GC that carry similar recipes. The one thing that they all have in common is the inclusion of a Dragon with or without reduction. I've heard this called a solvent transfer and the same process can be used for glycerin and coconut oil and other common cannabis products and it eliminates the direct contact with the plant material. Coconut oil made this way retains the rich coconut flavor of the oil with no cannabis taste. In fact, if you don't like the taste of coconut, you shouldn't use it in brownies or other baked goods. I made some brownies the other day and they have a very noticeable coconut flavor along with the chocolate. I love it but one of my friends thought the flavor was strange for brownies.

In the research I've read I've found references to sugar solutions also being a viable solvent for thc, although not a great one. So that could be the key. I don't think you would get a very potent solution using a standard tincture process of sit and wait. Maybe with some heat. BKS thinks that the thc remains as a suspension instead of an actual infusion and that would cause maybe a mild buzz and degrade quickly. I'm happy to say that's not the case, just the opposite. It seems to get better with age. Many of the honey recipes I saw just reduced the Dragon by half and leaving the rest in the honey, mainly just having a sweetened Dragon.

I have read theories that at least a little alcohol needs to remain to keep the honey active, but I have already disproved that. No alcohol remains and it keeps potency. I've kind of given up trying to figure out why as long as it keeps on keeping on.

13. #13 AgMan, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2012
    A google scholar search for "cannabis cancer apoptosis" has found several peer reviewed articles detailing how THC and CBD can cure/treat/diminish cancer.
    Here is some examples of pro-cannabis research: JBC : Journal of Biological Chemistry
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.22917/full
    http://www.fuoriluogo.it/medicalcannabis/documenti/cancertherapy.pdf
    http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/14/23/7691.short
    http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/66/13/6615.short
    http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/68/2/339.short

Here is one saying that it enhances cancer cell proliferation (paid for by the pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim, I am sure they are all for finding a cheap cure to help humanity, right? Also published in American Association for Cancer Research, these people will be out of a job if they find a cheap cure, no bias here either...): http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/64/6/1943.short

Apparently cancer cells are loaded with CB1 and CB2 receptors, prolonged exposure to agonists to these receptors flags them for programmed cell death (apoptosis). Since this is the case I assume any method of extraction will work as long as your body is constantly flooded with cannabonoids for as long as it takes the cancer cells to completely die off.

So I think I will stop the naphtha method and move to a safer method. Also, I doubt trim or other extraction methods are less effective provided cannabinoids are present...

14. #14 AgMan, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2012
    Day 3 update from my father-in-law (FIL):

My wife just talked to her mom, and got an update. Apparently, my FIL is up to 3 drops every 2 hours in 3 days and has now only just started started to feel high and the end of day 3 (~15-20 drops, which is about 2/3 of a ml, or 3/4 of a gram). This is a guy who use to smoke in his younger years, but has not smoked in 25+ years. This is from the same batch that two other people say they felt high off the first drop they take in a day, so its not a potency issue. He might get to the 1 gram a day pretty quickly, but I told him to take as much as possible without getting super loaded. He has also gone from taking to 10mg Hydrocodones twice per day to taking one in the past 3 days since getting the oil.

If cancer cells are loaded with CB1/CB2 receptors, and are greedy little bastards taking first choice of everything. It would stem to reason that his cancer is pretty bad and there are a lot of receptors to fill before it hits the brain receptors.

At any rate, he feels better than he did after major surgery on just narcotics (this is a plus). I just hope that it can actually rid him of cancer. Based on journal articles it seems positive, much more reliable info than the anecdotal accounts.

15. I've been able to cut back on both morphine and oxycodone since I've been dosing with my various tinctures and coconut oil. By rotating the various products I'm able to keep each fresh to my system which also helps keep my tolerance manageable.Sounds like it may be helping the FIL. I agree that it's more assuring to read confirmed scientific research as opposed to a tale of a friend of a friend's aunt.

16. I added some more articles in my previous post if you care to read. Found several times more touting benefits and 1 saying it enhances cancer cell proliferation (provided by a pharma company and a cancer research company, tough to believe their was no bias here...)

17. Went and saw my father-in-law today. He was pretty stoned off the oil. He hasn't needed to take his pain pills, blood pressure meds, or flomax (helps you pee) since taking the oil. He's getting his PET scan tomorrow to determine the full extent of the cancer, he'll know the results in a few days. He and my mother-in-law seem pretty hopeful for the oil to work, especially since the Doctors "can't" do anything for him. Apparently, hope has a great deal to do with cancer survival...

I'll also be getting him to take Vitamin D3 daily. Mayo Clinic reported a 1.5X increase in growth, and 2X increase in death from lymphatic cancer when patients had low serum levels of D3. I've also read that low D3 is connected to 17 types of cancer, and that D3 is involved with cell growth and death signaling (along with 2000 other gene expressions and cellular processes).

18. They are finding that D3 plays a big role in more things than ever imagined. It's one of those building blocks that influence everything we are. I've been following the research for quite a while. It's something that I have to keep up with because of my kidney transplant. The drugs I have to take for that can wreak havoc on bones, so I have to get tested regularly. My doctor is always surprised because I always have good numbers.

It sounds like the FIL is benefiting from your prescription even if he still retains some cancer. Just not having to take all those pills is a step in the right direction. I bet he is pretty stoned, though :D. The fact that he's seeing some progress already with the oil may be a big factor for improvement because, as you say, hope does play a big part in any terminal situation. Let us know his results. And let him know he has at least one other supporter out here that's pulling for him.

19. #19 kssmeimaprate26, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
    i've used naphtha in preparing some unmentionables(think Rick Strassman) and the only reason i was ok using it is because it will evaporate at room temps. so i would think letting the preparation sit exposed at room temp for a short amount of time would be ok.

I can understand not wanting to ingest any carcinogens when using cannabis for medical purposes, but butane, naphtha, or any other petroleum distillate is pretty much the same. And if you smoke with a lighter(which i know many of you may not) you are inhaling more of the chemical than would be left in the final product. I will have to find the info on the ld50 for naphtha as compared to some common vitamins.

found it. this is copied and pasted from another forum. the ld50 for is a rough estimate since normally they list the ld50 for a rat and a rabbit.
    The LD50 (amount needed to consume for 50% of subjects to die) for naptha is stated as 8000-20000mg/Kg. Heck the LD50 for Vitamin A is 1510-2570mg/Kg and Vitamin B is 560mg/Kg.
    http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9926175

The FDA is shying away from using the ld50 test, and it is in part because its not the most accurate test, but i felt like it was worth noting. If only cannabis was no longer schedule 1 and we could get some legit scientific research...oh wait http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...erous-drug-with-no-health-benefits/?mobile=nc

20. Thank you for the kind words. Positive energy is also a benefit.

I will keep posting updates as they occur.