Philosophy

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Shabab, Mar 25, 2010.

1. I always get into this mood a day or so after I smoke. All philisophical.

Post your philosophical thoughts, any at all. Here's some food for thought -

- What is consciousness?

- Why are we here?

- What is the meaning of life?

- You could have woken up this morning in a different body than the day before, but you inherited the memories so it seems normal.

- You just got spawned a second ago. Your brain is in a tub on some distant planet. They pre programmed thoughts and beliefs into you and want to see how you react to me typing this post.

Post anything else you can think of. I didn't think this belonged in Pandora's box so I put it here. Try to keep it non religious.

Shabab

2. The way in which we analyze information is so biased by our perception/conditioning that its really hard to think outside of the box or analyze information from different perspectives.

3. I've gone down this road. Those questions are impossible to answer, except for the 2nd one. The answer to that is coincedence.

4. imagine a world with no mirrors. trippy as hell.

5. The point isn't to answer, it's to think

6. - (What is consciousness?

consciousness is,in my opinion the ability to discern the difference between "now" in the flow of time and before and after , to comprehend the differences, and react to them, sometimes in ways that are illogical to personal survival.

7. Puddles?

8. Ruther true, however one must learn to live the question so that one day, as Rilke sez, one may walk into an answer.

9. you should read Plato's Cave Allegory.

10. Thats why psychedelic drugs are so profound.

They alter perception and wipe out conditioning to an extent.

11. consciousness is your realize your connected to this world, life has a lot of repetition,
    we are here, that is an absolute
    meaning of life is different for different people

12. I would think it would be having an awareness of the activities that you're participating in. For example, when I eat something, I perceive its taste and I consciously move my jaw etc. A computer gets its energy without thinking, it's not conscious. So, using your senses to recognise stimulus (and subsequently potentially feel things like emotions and other reactions arising from percieving that stimulus), and using this recognition to plot your course of action or at least acting upon favourite stimulus etc - for example, a mouse actively goes out and hunts its food to avoid painful stimulus (hunger), using methods and such that vary upon changing conditions (for example, if a wall of fire appeared in front of a piece of cheese, the mouse won't walk straight into the flames to get at it - it recognises the fire and plots a new course of action).

No reason, we're just another species currently alive. One day we'll be extinct, and that will be that.

From a biological standpoint, to pass on genetic information. On a deeper level, to live peacefully and coexist with other living things, leaving as little negative impact as we can while trying to do 'good' whenever and with whatever we can.

My body still looks the same as it did yesterday morning... :D

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Well, when life gives you lemons you make lemonade I guess... :smoke:

13. Did the chicken cross the road or did the road cross the chicken?

14. The road and the chicken crossed each other's paths. :p

15. When I walk, is the universe moving according to my feet which creates the illusion that i'm walking on a surface, when in reality i'm standing in a single spot my entire life?

16. Would it matter?

17. believe this is REALITY whether your on mushrooms or not, no illusions just deceptions

18. That's what I was thinking. :cool: