Philosophy?

Discussion in 'General' started by suburbantoker, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Thinking of going to college maybe for philosophy? I know it is seen as the "slacker" type of major or whatever, but I personally cannot think of something more personally fulfilling than to try and figure out what life is actually about. I think that it could expand my mind in so many different ways, and right now seems like the kind of life I would like to lead.

2. Especially metaphysics, that shit blows my mind sometimes.

3. what kinda job can u get with a philosophy major? other than teaching philosophy

4. Maybe not much, but it seems like such a fulfilling life.

5. nothing wrong with philosophy. i think its admirable. learning how to think and relate, and expand and just be a person, should be the first thing kids do when they enter school, it shoudnt take til college.

i ended up going into graphic design at a school that was just about making money.
    i realized i dont care about money as much, and that i dont want my job or goal to ever be pursuing it.

i started horticulture at a different school today :)
    and i have another class called "the art of being human" that i start tuesday.
    this is where i want to go in life.

growing up and finding fortune to me is growing into who i am and finding out as much about myself and other people as i can.
    sounds like you have somewhat of the same take on things.

just chase your heart.
    and stay highhhhhh

6. If you really want to know what the life and everything else is about, and think you can handle a double major, I'd suggest philosophy and mathematics or physics. A surprising amount of physics majors I've known dual in philosophy. If you look back at the great philosophers of history many were mathematicians or physicists. Similarly, today many great physicists write philosophical takes on cutting edge theories.

Not too mention studies in physics and mathematics allow you to see striking symmetries within the world and a great sense of logical argument.

7. interesting. when your striving for a duel major, are you going to achieve like double masters in two different fields for instance ?

8. philosophy gets deep into the mind, that shit is insane, right now I am feeling really philosophical because I am tripping hard...this is a nonsense post....

9. What?really? never heard that before:confused: philosophy is deep shit man,lol. It gets crazy, changed the way my freind tihnks,hard to,lol

10. yeah definitely, a philosophy degree really only becomes a valuable thing when its used with another degree such as physics, economics or politics. Its not an end to its self, but a tool to understand other things better.

11. just keep in mind that you don't necessarily need school to pursue philosophy

12. i took philosophy when i was in college and it was alot harder than i thought

13. Im taking a Philosophy course right now, FYI, ITS FUCKING BORING.

It is extremely interesting and whatnot, I love listening to lectures, but I cant stay awake. And my professor is crazy. I cant have a normal conversation with him because his level of thinking is like 12312938234823x the level of mine.

Graded assignments suck because you have to think like a philosopher (which isnt as easy as you think it is) and you have to think the way your professor does. And if you think smoking weed is going to make it easier, hahahahaha, when you raise your hand in class and make a comment or ask a question, everyones going to know your high as shit.

haha I dont know you personally, but the class isnt really my style.

Moral of the story: When you go to philosophy lit, dont raise your hand, just listen. It will blow your mind

14. The only subject that involves more thinking than philosophy is easily physics. Physicists (sp?) have proved time travel is possible (forward, not back). Not only do they need to think in depth about these types of things, they then have to do the math to prove it can be done.