Philosophy redundant

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ItsReneeYo_, Jan 21, 2014.

1. So I just left a philosophy class , and we were asked questions about Plato and Socrates or whatever. And every single question could be ruled out simply by saying to each his own , each person has their own truth. It seems like philosophy is just question on top of question. Questioning the existence of god , the means of justice , what is holy and what isn't , that's all redundant because we as human beings can't answer those questions , so what's the point of questioning them and trying to find the answer , if there is no answer? Why was Socrates and Plato so popular and wisdom filled when all they did was question people and put in place their own beliefs. But their beliefs may not be the beliefs of the many , so whose belief is true.

.-.

I understand that there is a common truth , like the sky is blue or whatever, but philosophical questions just seem so useless to me , I thought I would find this class really interesting but it just leaves me really confused with more questions than answers. And when I answer a question someone will say that is "YOUR" answer .

2. “The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it.” - Bertrand Russell

3. If no one believes it or understands it but that philosopher , then what's the point.

You'll have a bunch of "enlightened wisdom filled people" walking around , but the only thing that differentiates them from the rest of us , is the ability to ask puzzling questions and give puzzling answers to the puzzling questions they ask.

4. Discourse. You don't think Plato or Socrates had bills/taxes to pay?

Feudal Chinese 'astronomers' were the ones who predicted the harvests each lunar cycle. Many of them were also heavily involved in scholarly duty to their lord/emperor. What happened when their predictions came out to be false?  When you don't have an alibi to explain the unforeseen drought, no matter how ludicrous, you get replaced.

5. the point is to find your own truth..but yea truth is subjective so i consider it more of a hobby

6. #6 Boats And Hoes, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
    If you think there's a "point" to philosophy, then you've already mis-understood philosophy.

Philosophy, just like life, is not a riddle to be cracked, but an experienced to be had. Philosophy is a lifestyle; and, so, philosophy is not what's taught to you in a classroom, or what you write down on some random test.

so whats your point? lol get it?

8. "Philosophy is life's dry-nurse, who can take care of us - but not suckle us." - Soren Kierkegaard

9. #9 Boats And Hoes, Jan 21, 2014

To have no point... get it?

"Philosophy is life's dry-nurse, who can take care of us – but not suckle us." - Soren Kierkegaard

10. I guess I understand . It's just so different from what I'm used too. I mean , I've always questioned things . But to this extreme? No. I don't see how people can have majors in philosophy , i mean what can you do? Sit around questioning things , and coming up with answers that are only true to yourself and no one else. If philosophy is about finding oneself or questioning oneself how can you find a profession in it , and why do they teach it? Maybe I should just give the class more time , idk.

11. #11 Boats And Hoes, Jan 21, 2014

Why are you so eager to question philosophy? Understand why you ask 'why'... and then you will understand philosophy, and your-self, a little better. :smoke:

"Sit around questioning things , and coming up with answers that are only true to yourself and no one else." -- As Kierkegaard's quote was supposed to illustrate... philosophy isn't about making yourself feel comfortable by constructing edifices of abstract thought, rather, philosophy is about implementing knowing into to one's ethic, i.e., into one's actions (one's life).

"When Knowing fails to act, knowledge loses its potency." -- Kierkegaard. So, again, philosophy is about life, ethic, and action; and not solely about constructing conceptual edifices without any active or practical use.

12. Philosophy is an eternal discourse, a constant contemplation of this world and our place in it. Rather than have a definite answer, there are definitive guidelines that we can set, and for those there can be a definitive answer.

Philosophy is all about estimating values, understanding their place in the world and aspiring to lead a life with the most values. Philosophy is about reaching the very core of knowledge and aspiring to become wise more than simply being knowledgeable.

Philosophy is like the cycle of the rains and continuously progresses humanity. The water upon the earth represents our current way of doing things, the sun represents our seeking to change or become better in our understanding. The clouds represent the formation of this new understanding and how it could be applied. The rains are like the understanding flowering in our actions and taking root in our world. 

Again the sun comes to draw water from the earth and return it again to nourish the world anew.

13. ....well duh? There is no truth, only stance.

Is that true? Or... just a stance?

15. #15 PeterParker, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014

What do you think philosophy is? One of the main "tools" of philosophy, and any reasoning for that matter, you throw out. "beliefs" or assumptions, better said axioms are crucial and must first be agreed on before any logical discussion can happen. 

So it's not "question people and put in place their own beliefs"  it's consider xyz as true, and follow this train of though. Happens all the time.  People often respond to odd or weak assumptions with hyperbole replies to highlight the problem with the particular assumption.

Philosophy shat the bed as far as maintaining a clear and respectable purpose, hopefully they teach critical thinking as a prerequisite to or in conjunction with philosophy.

16. This is such crap, you haven't a clue what philosophy is.

17. Philosophy has a point and it's important, you don't "understand" what philosophy is.

lol yea, law & the sciences have no active or practical use. :confused:

19. #19 drizzyhuffpuff, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    Before you go reading every philosopher thinking they're Plato, you may want to consider the ludicrousy of Plato's theories of morality, government, and society. This can be spelled out in the "Republic", but basically his ideal society is rules by philosopher kings called guardians who study the 'forms' of 'justice', 'wisdom', etc. and obtain absolute (a priori) knowledge that they use to rules over the masses, who they consider stupid, lazy, and immoral.

For a post-modern view of these topics, you may be interested in some Nietzsche.

20. Well, exercising the mind isn't a bad thing and thinking about things is what humans do. It's a sign of a more evolved mind to want to try and "know". 
    Humans are also social creatures, so it's important that we share our thoughts with each other….maybe to contrast and compare.
    If we, as a life form, lose interest in ourselves, then we are destined to extinction.