Philosophy help!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Climbstoned, Aug 22, 2011.

1. I need to write a apparently contradictory claim and explain y it is self contradictory.

2. what do you want to write about? narrow it down.

3. The chick used this for hers.
    " I don't exist"
    The above statement is a contradictory based on the validity of my existence.

4. This sentence is false.

5. The sun doesn't give light.

6. Money isn't everything

7. #7 Climbstoned, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I like that.

8. So do I basically write a lie?

9. Do you know what a contradictory statement is, to begin with?
    If so, composing one should be simple.
    The next step is to figure out how to explain the contradiction.
    If you are fed the answers without discovering them on your own, you won't retain the information effectively.

10. money isn't everything doesn't work. this sentence is false is the best example. or a greek man says all greeks are liars.

11. #11 wsrd4b2, Aug 23, 2011
    Why doesn't it work?

12. It only contradicts itself if you think money is everything and most people would disagree anyways. I think the best one of all is saying it is true that truth does not exist

13. Wow can u guys be my philosophy teacher?

14. #15 Climbstoned, Aug 23, 2011
    I agree but all this infro is very helpful to my learning process. Thanks for being concerned. I will do my best to learn the material also as well as ask for opinions and suggestions and answers lol

15. For sure man. Think on ;)

16. How about:

All contradictory statements have as much meaning as those they contradict.

17. Or all contradictory statements are true. This is completely contrary to the law of non contradiction

18. the most truthful man in the world is a compulsive liar.

19. The easiest contradictory claim to explain would fit the form of a syllogism. Categorical statements containing negations will also be easier to explain than a simple sentence.

For example, "All humans are animals and I am an animal, so, therefore, I am a human."
    The contradiction lies in the logical structure of the universalized quantification of the condition of being a human because of the existential quantification of my being an animal. So, due to our claim that I am human because both all humans are animals (universalized) and I am an animal (existential) we have made a logical contradiction.

As was said by an earlier poster, you need to work something like this out for yourself to understand a contradictory statement. I am sorry if my language is somewhat confusing as it is a product of formalized logic, which is confusing in itself.