philisophical question

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Reece, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Is the way we think a result of our environment, or is our environment a result of how we think?

2. I was thinking about this one yesterday.

Say for example a very advanced super intelligent race came to earth and looked at how messed up it was and then decided to take it on themselves to teach us how to live properly.

So they gathered up the best and the brightest of humanity, put them on their space ship. Then they flooded the earth and took humanity on a ride around the galaxy.

While everybody was on the space ship a full generation passed, and during this time the intelligent race did nothing but teach the occupants how to follow a more pure set of laws and instilled in them proper culture and manners.

When the trip was all said and over with, they came back to earth, which by this time had recovered from the disaster, and they dropped off all the people that they had trained. Then they offered to help them get a new start, and taught them how to build a more environmentally friendly civilization.

After everything was done, and they could see that their new little civilization was thriving they told them, "we can't do this all the time, we have other things to do, but we really wanted to help you out. Remember what we have told you and live in peace." And then they left.

However, not to long after they left the a new generation took the reigns of the Government, and they were filled with nothing but pride and complete contempt for what they had been given. All they could see is that their parents had been brain washed into following some back water rules that doesn't let them do anything that they really want to do.

So they conspired together and eventually overthrew the 'perfect' civilization and began to build their own, which was hundreds of times worse than what was on the earth before an outside party came and tried to interfere, because this time they had absolutely no respect for what they had, however now they had the tools and the know how to begin to wreak havoc on a galactic scale.

So now to answer the question, the answer is both, and one must perfect the other for harmony to be reached. Eliminating the environment and concentrating on how people think will only teach people to be proud of who they are. Eliminating how people think and concentrating on the environment will only teach people to take life for granted, and lead to intellectual retardation.

3. false choice

4. I thought long about your question and this thought came to mind, eventhough I am answering your question with a question: Has the introduction of "all" media in the last 40 or so years influenced behavior in a negative way? For instance, would a child's "lifestyle" of 1956 be the same as today? Would their life be more passive or aggressive? Would it be different at all?

If there is solid study on whether media has influenced behavior, and it's credible, perhaps our environment does dictate how we think. (yes, positive or negative)
    Just me thinking. I look forward to other thoughts.

:bongin:

5. Enviroment has a huge basis on the way we think. Did you know that when you get high off any drug that your enviroment is the most important thing.

6. I dont think one dictates the other, rather it is what you allow to occur. Most men think according to their enviorment, but the true innovators and the greatest men made society a result of their thought.

7. Your reality, or environment, is controlled completely by thought. Each human posses the power to create realities they desire, it is within the power of numbers that great things happen. It is because we are able to create, we also believe we can destroy, such negative behavior could be a result of many things. Think of thoughts as intentions, when you imply to the world an idealistic intention on the reality of what you want to happen, generally it will occur, im not saying you can squander up a million bucks from nothing, but we each have the power to create a better world