Phenotypes?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Fire_Blazer, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Aryt peeps, got a question about phenotypes.

I've heard people talk about phenotypes as if they are some sort of inherited set of characteristics that growers control but when I read about the explanation of phenotypes and weed plants, it's a different story.

From what I gather based on the articles online, each plant has a certain DNA code within it called a genotype. This genotype makes it possible for the plant to turn out different ways based on how it is grown.

phenotype is a certain expression of that DNA (genotype) controlled by the growing environment.

Therefore if you got a batch of say Blue Dream seeds and gave half the seeds to one grower who grows a certain way and the other half to someone else who grows differently, then the two growers would end up with two different phenotypes of Blue Dream?

And how does that affect any plants grown down the line from cuttings or seeds from the two different phenotypes?

Thanks

2. Growing conditions don't matter, that's why you see growers who will grow a number of seeds from the same strain looking for one plant to clone or as a mother plant. To see the different phenotypes and decide which one they want based on their preferences.

I'm growing 3 of the same strain right next to each other and have 2 different phenotypes.

3. From all the research I've done it says that phenotype variation is not 100% reliant on the environment, but there are phenotype variations which will only express under certain environmental conditions.

The 2 growers will not end up with completely different pheno's.  They will end up wiht the same variation of pheno's but some individually may have different expressions.  Generally most breeders know of the 2, 3 or 4 different phenotype variations within their breed.

HTH

What I don't get is why choosing a certain phenotype for a mother matters? 

Here is the article I was reading in case you guys where wondering where I got my info from:

http://www.leafly.com/knowledge-center/cannabis-101/cannabis-genotypes-and-phenotypes-what-makes-a-strain-unique

5. Just different growth patterns. One may be tall and lanky or short and packed with buds

6. So basically when you are growing or breeding, you choose the best pheno's from a female and male batch (the phenotypes that thrive best under your conditions) and then cross them to get whatever it is you want, then maybe grow a batch of your end product and select a cut from the best pheno of that batch and so on?

And you would do the same thing when keeping cuttings from a batch of feminized photo-periods and then if you kept conditions the same, you would get a similar phenotype to the plant you took the cutting from?

And does that not mean that environment is somewhat important because it is involved in expressing the certain characteristics of a particular phenotype of a plant?

Thanks

7. #8 Brother Urb, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014

Correct.  Sometimes they take the best selected progeny and "back cross" it to the original parent to have the next generation even more similar to the parent.

The cutting from the parent should be the exact same as the parent as long as it's grown under the same conditions/methods.  It's litereally a genetic copy(clone).

8. Yup, or may produce very little when topped, or may produce nearly double its single cola weight when topped.... Sometimes it could even come down to how quickly a plant roots when cloning - think of people with perpetual SOG grows that can have rooted clones in a week every time ready to veg for 4 weeks before moving to flower....

It's all about finding that thing you like in a plant, or mixing what you like from multiple plants, growing the seeds and finding the phenotypes (traits) that you look for, and try to breed the plants until you only have a few variations that you are satisfied with.

135w UFO LED Micro Grow:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1308910-135W-Led--Organic-1St-Grow

9. Yup, what Urb said. A clone will always be the same phenotype.

Thanks.

Your saying that when you cross your preferred mother and father cuts, you back cross the end product with either parent to make the cross more like the original? Something along those lines?

11. Exactly!  Cubing is the term doing that 3x.  IF you ever see a strain name with BX and a number it means backcrossed amount of times. :) 

Google around it's fun reading about that stuff.  I'm just a noob man, not a breeder.  Just telling based on what I've read. :smoking:

12. @[member="D_Urbmon"]

Sweet man thanks for the info, much appreciated.

np mon, we're all here to learn :smoking:

14. Also google "phenotypes explained" by chimera.

He's a fairly respected breeder and it's an interesting perspective of phenotypes.

15. phenotype is the genetic coding of that individual plant , that makes it exactly what it is.

if the plant is tall and skinny, fat or short, this is due to the genetic coding.

when somebody says he's got a plant with an excellent pheotype, what he's saying is that he's got a plant with characteristics he prefers and likes over all other combinations.

one persons ideal pheotype, may be the bane of anothers.