Pheno questions????

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Arnold420, Oct 25, 2008.

1. #1 Arnold420, Oct 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2008
    I know that each strain may have different pheno's. My questions...

1. When you get fem seeds from a reliable company(greenhouse seeds,Paradise seeds) do the strains still have dif. pheno's? Or do they stabelize them somehow?

2.Is there usually a big difference between each pheno?

3.If there is a few dif. pheno's can all of them be real good or is there usually just one favorite?

4. I have 24 fem seeds growing and a few dif. strains. What would be the best way to get mothers of the best pheno's for each strain? I was thinking just clone from each plant and keep them labeled so you know what mother each clone came from, then continue and flower all 24 potential mothers. Once you harvest and pick a pheno you like best, go back and find the clones from that pheno and make them your mothers.

5. Would this be the best and fastest way to do this? Can anyone think of a better way?

Thanks

2. The goal is to stabilize them, that is why good seeds are pricey...as they have been grown to maintain stable phenos with few deviations.
    There can be. I've had a lowrider that was only 8'' tall and another that grew right along with it that was almost 3ft... I'd say that's extreme.

All depends on your tastes. I mean a pheno of death is obviously bad...but if you want short, stocky, resin, fruity, purple buds then you would seek out those phenos...while someone else might want something completely diff.

This is a challenge unless you have some serious time/dedication/space. You will need to grow each out, documenting specifics on each plant. Clone all of them twice, once to determine sex and a second time to make a mother. You'll then need to keep all those mothers alive long enough until the bud is cured and smokeable. Then you'd have to do a smoke report for each clone to determine the best.... and there ya go - you're basically doing what a breeder does for a living... :)

Nope - there aren't really any shortcuts when it comes to culling the 'perfect' plant with the 'perfect' phenos... it just takes time/patience/dedication/organization and a desire to get that which has not already been gotten....

Good luck!

3. Thanks bro. Should i still clone to sex even if their fem seeds from a good source?

4. Guess it depends. I always grow using dro - and I stopped using plants from seed a loooooong time ago.

When I buy seeds now I plop those bitches in soil, grow em big enough to clone, snag 1 clone and flower it for sex. If the plant is fem then into the recirc DWC setup it goes and off to flower land....males I pull for pollen or kill them.

But going through the hassle of putting 'unknown' plants into a hydro system, the nutes, the hydroguard, the power, etc - all to find out 2weeks later that you have to kill it...well it just fucks everything up. Much better to KNOW you are growing ladies...

Probably also why I dont bother buying fem'd seeds...

5. Yeah, i just got fems because its my first grow so i figured my chances would be better to get more females and find the best pheno. I'm just gonna flower as much and many as i can then pic the best pheno and use its clone for mother. Thanks for all the help.

6. Right on... too bad ya didnt have some bag seed for your first grow. Thank God I did as I think I killed off like the first 4 attempts, got shitty yields for the next 2-3 grows until I finally 'got it'. Some are quicker than others, and then there are the others - like myself... hahah

Anyway IMHO I'd say - Start a grow journal!!!!!!!!!!! People will literally flock around, grab a seat and give you all kinds of feedback on every facet of your grow as you progress through it. It was crucial to my skill building early on. It's like having all of these kick ass growers sitting with you in the grow room and giving you advice... sweet jesus if we could only charge. hahah :)

7. Yeah maybe i should start a legit journal, i kinda been using the two threads in my sig as my journals. I will make one this weekend , i could use as much help as i can get. This should be fun.:smoke:

8. Kick ass bro - I'll snag a seat... just come up with a damn snappy grow log name... hahahah