Phelps Pipe Hits EBay

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, Feb 13, 2009.

1. by CBS Interactive

Published: February 11 2009 - 1:10 pm Last Updated: February 11 2009 - 1:12 pm

[​IMG]

The owner of a bong that Olympic champion Michael Phelps was photographed with tried to sell it on eBay for as much as $100,000 reported WIS News 10, a Columbia, S.C. news station.

On Feb. 2, a British tabloid published a photograph of the swimmer using a bong to smoke marijuana taken at a party in November. Eight people were arrested in connection with the party - seven for drug possession and one for distribution, WIS News 10 reported.

In further fallout from the incident, legions of legalize-marijuana advocates are urging a boycott of Kellogg Co., including all of its popular munchies, for deciding to cut ties with Phelps after the photograph.

The leader of one of the biggest groups, the Marijuana Policy Project, called Kellogg's action "hypocritical and disgusting," and said he'd never seen his membership so angry, with more than 2,300 of them signing an online petition.

"Kellogg's had no problem signing up Phelps when he had a conviction for drunk driving, an illegal act that could actually have killed someone," said Rob Kampia, the group's executive director. "To drop him for choosing to relax with a substance that's safer than beer is an outrage, and it sends a dangerous message to young people."

Also urging a boycott were the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, Students for Sensible Drug Policy and the Drug Policy Alliance. They encouraged their members to contact Kellogg to vent their views.

In one sign of the campaign's impact, the Phelps saga took precedence over the tainted peanut butter outbreak in the recorded reply on Kellogg's consumer hot line Tuesday.

"If you would like to share your comments regarding our relationship with Michael Phelps, please press one to speak to a representative," said the recording. "If you're calling about the recent peanut butter recall, please press two now."

From Kellogg's media office, there was no immediate reply to a request for an assessment of the boycott campaign. A Kellogg spokeswoman, Kris Charles, said by e-mail, "Our contract with Michael Phelps was set to expire at the end of February and we made a business decision not to extend that contract." This Print page is ecoFont Compatible. ecoFont cuts ink usage by

2. Well I dont know. To me thats alot more acceptable than just dropping the guy for smokin the bong.

"Our contract with Michael Phelps was set to expire at the end of February and we made a business decision not to extend that contract."

3. Lol making up 4 lost dues... Whatta hustla!

4. def sound better anyway. do you think they would have renewed the contract had this not come up though? my guess is yes, but who knows.

5. yea, buts its only the middle of february not the end, and phelps is already dropped from even earlier when this all started

so her point is pretty moot

6. #6 RebelINS, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
    Or they could call it Kellogs FOOD?

7. they should make a bong with phelps's pic on it somehow, and then use his huge fucking milkjug ears as the handles.

8. What kind of an idiot says "legalize-marijuana advocates?"

9. Wasn't the guy who tried to sell this bong one of the 5 people that got arrested?

10. Yeah, that really doesn't make it sound that bad.

11. Just show what kinda country we live in. It saddens me.

12. the dude who put it on ebay got arrested

13. It really pisses me off how upset everyone got about this. So he smoked a little reefer, so what? He was clean when he competed, he kicked ass at it. What's the big deal?

14. That statement doesn't make it sound that bad because it's good Public Relations. They dropped him because of the bud and had to cover with a believable statement like that one...

15. i think if you win 8 gold medals for your country, you should be able to do whatever you want.

16. I guess he didn't clean the bong well enough :smoking:

17. Can someone post the link to this story? The thread starter didn't finish the story.

18. The weed community needs to boycott Kellogg's.

How does a company devoted to setting little kids on the path to Type 2 diabetes get all sanctimonious about Michael Phelps and a bong hit?

19. jealous much?

20. in case anyone hasnt seen it

funny stuff, has one of the best lines in it. watch it and u will understand

[ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/56636/saturday-night-live-really-michael-phelps"]Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Really?!?: Michael Phelps@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/ImUM5f4oSi-x2pp18eRU8w@@AMEPARAM@@ImUM5f4oSi-x2pp18eRU8w[/ame]

• Like Like x 1