pH up/pH down

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by KyungYi, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hey GC,
    I was wondering. When mixing a nutrient mix for my stand alone DCW bubblers, do I first measure out the nutes, mix them in water,and then pH up or down? Or do I have the order wrong.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

-Kyung Yi

2. Apparently no one knows.
    Thanks GC.

3. im not sure if there is a correct way but thats how i do it. seems logical

4. Add nutes, then adjust the ph :smoke:

5. Thanks guys!

6. I use RO water and H&G Aqua Flakes, after adding the nutes I wait 30 or 45 minutes to check PH, it usually hits 5.8 after the nutes without adjusting with up or down, My RO water will check from 7.5 to 8.5 and it always balances out to around 5.8 no matter what it was before adding the nutes. I use to use Fox Farm and had big ph shifts! Hope this helps!
    Tiger

7. You always add ur nutes first the adjust final ph I used FF full line.. I just switched to HG aqua flakes and it says to add and stir in well let sit then add b stir in well and let sit check ph then adjust ph to 5.8 and then add ur other additives I'm using FF solidables open sesame beastie blooms and cha Ching along with sugaree and plant success bennifical bacteria.. My ppms are about 1800 an also just this week I'm adding top booster

8. Right now I'm only using cha Ching till the end

9. my ro comes in at 6.5-7. and after nutes is 3.9 to 4.9 and doesn't change after 45 min

10. JB Bubbles is the shit.

11. My RO water PH has since dropped and my results are the same as yours! Have to PH it up now. I have heard in the Spring PH will change from winter, guess it does!

12. thats odd never heard of it but mine did start out at 7.3 during winter and now is 6.7 funny. ph must be on vacation in the winter . lol

13. yes it is add nutes and then ph. it would make no sense to adjust ph before adding nutes, because the nutes change ph in themselves

14. Yo! Everyone is correct to measure PH after da nutes. PH is a very elusive critter and sometimes you have to chase it around. Formula is good water, proper nutes and constant monitoring systems. Its tough to adjust when you don't have a drain system on a DW system. My 5 gallon buckes have a 1/2 inch ball valve in the bottom to take samples of water for testing and to completely drain should the Ph get out of sync.
    Da babies are more prone to flourish in a slightly acidic water Vs. basic solution. I don't have a good meter so use the old fashion method to measure PH. Just be in the ball park and you will hit a home run

Grow and enjoy! Heb

15. What is this old fashion method you speak of?

16. I think he's talking about the test tube kind.

17. I don't know if your question was fully answered (basically the order of using PH up/down to effectively shift PH)...but hopefully this answer gives you some insight. eventhough i do soil grows i from time to time have sought to adjust my PH. i use general hydroponics liquid PH Up & PH Down and the package clearly states:

Use sparingly - add to hydroponic nutrient solution, a little at a time then test pH. Repeat application, then test, until desired pH is achieved. The quantity necessary for pH adjustment will vary depending on the strength of the nutrient and the purity of the water used to mix nutrient.