ph up and down

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ThatGuy1374, Mar 17, 2010.

1. So hey guys, almost done getting everything for my hydro grow. All i'm missing is the ph meter and the ph up and down. while the meter is shipping, i guess ill get the up and down, but theyre kinda expensive =/. Is there anything organic I can use that some of you hydro0 growers use thats cheaper than having to order some ph up and down online?

2. baking soda for up....citric acid/vinegar for down

3. Have you tried it before? just curious as to the efficiency

4. anyone else?

5. i use Earth Juice Natural Up and Down... it comes in crystals that dissolve pretty fast, and i haven't ever used much more than a sprinkle here or there, so it'll last a good while... i dunno that it's cheaper than any other brand of pH up or down, but it's organic and i've used the same container for about 4 years now... so if nothing else it's a good investment

6. sorry no I havnt...just read that in Marijuana horticulture...could be wrong but I have seen a thread like this before on this site...check out the search engine

7. Focus on the PH down first. You will find that you're always having to lower the PH rather than raise it.

8. yeah no need for PH up you only need ph down....also most nutrients have ph buffers to lower the ph for you. Just spend the 10 for a bottle it will last you a few grows.

9. To add to this I'd like to say that I used to use Fox Farms "Grow Big" hydroponic solution and I had to constantly adjust PH almost daily. After switching to GH Floranova nutes I maybe adjust the PH once a week. The Floranova line is great.

10. I've found that about 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar will bring the ph of 1 gallon of tap water from about 8.5 to about 6.5. Never had to raise the ph but I do here that while baking soda will work but it doesn't hold so well. That's just what I have heard so I cannot really speak from experience. Apparently there's no practical replacement for ph up.

11. I have no use for a ph increaser but to bring down my sometimes 7.9 ph tapwater I use a couple of capfulls of white vinegar. I've even used squeezed lemon with good results.

12. thanks, great advice guys :D