PH soil vs Hydro?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by trixman22, May 6, 2010.

1. Why is the PH of hydro supposed to be lower then the ph of soil?

I was just curious because everything I see says hydro is lower but nothing gives a reason as to why.

2. i would think it has to do with concentration of acids around the root hydro being about 99% water concentrates the ph where as in soil the water might be 5% you dont get the concentration around the roots therefore you can run a higher ph

3. #4 Dr.HydroThumb, May 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010
    Good Question. Thats one for JCJ to answer. Ask in the 'so you want to grow marijuana?' thread

4. Lockout will occur at different levels of pH in the two mediums.

phChart.jpg

5. different microbiology...soil microbiology is different than waters micro life...this is why tap water is usually high in alkaline and chlorine..to kill microbiology in water...they are happier little critter's in a lower range than micro biology is in soil...they need the acidic to live in the water...soil critter's don't need as much acidic's to live happiest..so a higher ph is called for...
    the microbiology is what's feeding and taking care of your rootsystem...nutes are mostly to feed them...in turn they break the chemical's down and feed your plant there mineral wastes...

haha! wow...a stoner moment in science! lol:smoke:
    cheer's

6. That can't be fact. Most hydro setups run synthetic nutes to avoid bacteria and fungi buildup in reservoirs. Even in soil, if you use chemical fertilizers, you are killing the microbial life to the point where they can't be beneficial. On top of that, microorganisms help regulate the pH so nutrient uptake is always occurring.

As far as the OP's question, good question. Maybe something to due with the CEC of water vs soil/soil-less.

7. #8 custom280Z, May 6, 2010
    do what???
    "On top of that, microorganisms help regulate the pH so nutrient uptake is always occurring."
    so what are they eating bro? the damn nutes! they dont survive off nothing..

and

"Even in soil, if you use chemical fertilizers, you are killing the microbial life to the point where they can't be beneficial."

but then your ph would flux like crazy according to you..micro life is just a ph buffer right? lol wrong

8. #9 custom280Z, May 6, 2010
    ok i'm going to explain to you why your way off..
    sythetic nutes are made to control ph more than anything and ward agaist non benificial bateria and fungi such as pathogen's!
    it still has the micro you need and have to have for the plant to recieve it's nutes...
    this is why FoxFarm and several other brand's are organic / synthetic blend not plain synthetic bro...
    email FF and ask them..
    the full synthetic nutes out there , need alot of additives if you have not noticed, those are micro's and humates bro...
    look at a feeding chart for sythetic nutes and have fun counting all those bottles..i use them and organic plus organic/synth blend's..
    nutes dont just destroy microbiology they feed it..what on earth makes you think this when most nutes are made up of lot's of microbiology..
    and micro additives..

9. They eat organic fertilizers such as bloodmeal, bonemeal, guanos, molasses, etc. not nitrates and ammonium. When you "feed" organic nutes to your plants, guess what? You're not directly feeding your plants. You're feeding little GERMS OMG!!!!

No, your pH shouldn't be fluctuating (I think thats what you meant. I looked up flux and its way over my head.); it should be stable, but you will have to adjust it to be optimal in your media. With an active rhizosphere bounding with microbes, pH is not important to nutrient uptake so long as you avoid extremes.

If by 'synthetic nutes' you mean 'pH up and pH down', then yes they control pH more than anything. If you mean the nutrient formula itself is pH balanced, then you are out of your mind. And no, synthetic nutes have no prejudice when it comes to microorganisms. Beneficial microorganisms actually ward off powdery mildew, mold, and pathogens by competing for resources. By killing them off, you are creating a near sterile environment that will make it easier for invasive species to... well, invade.

10. #11 custom280Z, May 6, 2010
    ''They eat organic fertilizers such as bloodmeal, bonemeal, guanos, molasses, etc. not nitrates and ammonium. When you "feed" organic nutes to your plants, guess what? You're not directly feeding your plants. You're feeding little GERMS OMG!!!!"

that's exactly what i said bro...lol

"No, your pH shouldn't be fluctuating (I think thats what you meant. I looked up flux and its way over my head.); it should be stable, but you will have to adjust it to be optimal in your media. With an active rhizosphere bounding with microbes, pH is not important to nutrient uptake so long as you avoid extremes."

no what??, you said earlier that micro's control ph now didn't you..lol
    i think you lost what i was saying..
    and that is what i was saying once again..
    your ph will fluctuate, because of nutes being used not because of microbiology.. and your ph is critical to nute uptake...that's why ph kit's come with nute uptake chart's man!!! omg!!! lol

"If by 'synthetic nutes' you mean 'pH up and pH down', then yes they control pH more than anything. If you mean the nutrient formula itself is pH balanced, then you are out of your mind. And no, synthetic nutes have no prejudice when it comes to microorganisms. Beneficial microorganisms actually ward off powdery mildew, mold, and pathogens by competing for resources. By killing them off, you are creating a near sterile environment that will make it easier for invasive species to... well, invade"

if i meant ph up and down i would not be calling it nutes man...geeez..i would clearly say ph up and down..lol hahaha! wooow!
    and that's not what i was saying at all about synthetic nutes..
    synthetic nutes have buffer's that control your ph ..i'm not out of my mind you are! it say's it right on the back of the damn bottles!
    so yes nutrient formula's are ph balanced bro..you think it's just some random ph per bottle or ph buffer's don't exist?

and i'm glad you now understand what benificial micro's are congrat's..
    once again regergitated info from one of my previous post'slol
    lay the bong down...step away slowley...
    you agree then disagree with your self in almost every post bro..

11. do you even grow hydro?
    i noticed your sig link was for noob's...lol and not even your own grow tread..

12. #13 holynazi, May 6, 2010
    With an active rhizosphere bounding with microbes, pH is not important to nutrient uptake so long as you avoid extremes. = Microbes in a healthy rhizosphere will break down organic fertilizers into nutrient form that plants can absorb despite the water/soil pH (still avoiding extremes).

I guess you don't get sarcasm. I was really just saying 'chemical ferts don't regulate pH'. organic ferts don't regulate pH.

Yes. thats why pH adjusters exist. I don't see how a pre formulated bottle can be buffered properly seeing as how the water people use will vary, meaning their starting pH will vary.

And no I don't grow anything in hydro. Thanks for noticing the link labeled "Absolute Beginner's Guide" was a link for noobs. No its not mine but it used to be stickied and now its not so i linked it.

13. No, you said...

they don't break down chemicals like nitrates and ammonium. those chems are chelated and can be absorbed directly by the plant with no plant/microbe symbiosis relationship.

I don't understand how FF's so called "organic/synth" works. It sounds like you just said it wipes out the soil's living ecosystem AND feeds a now non-existent population as well.

This thread has strayed from OP's original question, which still hasn't really been answered.

14. #15 custom280Z, May 6, 2010
    "With an active rhizosphere bounding with microbes, pH is not important to nutrient uptake so long as you avoid extremes. = Microbes in a healthy rhizosphere will break down organic fertilizers into nutrient form that plants can absorb despite the water/soil pH (still avoiding extremes)."

you keep saying avoiding extremes...what extremes are you talking about!
    lol dude bottom line...ph does effect nute up take ....you say it doesn't but say it does ...your very back and forth..

"I guess you don't get sarcasm. I was really just saying 'chemical ferts don't regulate pH'. organic ferts don't regulate pH."

nice try dude you believe your own bs that's obvious...trying to make your bs sound like fact's is far from sarcasm

"Yes. thats why pH adjusters exist. I don't see how a pre formulated bottle can be buffered properly seeing as how the water people use will vary, meaning their starting pH will vary."

you are slow huh? ph adjuster's are for the water! not the nutes! the buffer's in the nutes hold the ph after you adjust the water !!!!!!!!!!!! that's what ph adjuster's are for..not your nutes at all but the water first..so people don't start out with random water ph duh!
    then add nutes..woooooow!
    try growing in hydro before talkin like you know something about it.. you adjust your water first!!!!first!!!fiiiiirrrrst! with pa pa pp ph adjuster's....then the bufffffffer's in the na na nnn nuuutes control the pa ppp pa ph from there on out!
    there understand slow speak? or sarcasm..?

"And no I don't grow anything in hydro. Thanks for noticing the link labeled "Absolute Beginner's Guide" was a link for noobs. No its not mine but it used to be stickied and now its not so i linked it"

then why the f'k are you even in this tread..?
    not even qualified to give an answer..

15. i know what i said it was obviously put to simple for you to figure out...most folk's call it "lamens term's" and out of that general statement your over there about to have an aneurysm...lol :wave: all because i didn't give specific chemical element's or a periodic f'n table just to say something simply, does not make my statement crazy, way off or wrong..it's a generalized statement..

"I don't understand how FF's so called "organic/synth" works. It sounds like you just said it wipes out the soil's living ecosystem AND feeds a now non-existent population as well."

how did i ever say that? what??? now your makin shit up ..lol
    wow!
    i said foxfarm is an organic /synthetic blend yes i did, cause it is...sound's like your confusing yourself..most nutes today are all this blend..
    it has synthetic's to kill certain pathogen's, fungi and harmfull bacteria and buffer ph! thing's to help root development like silicon etc...
    the organic is the part were most your micro comes from!
    hense the blend!! if you actually understood ph i would not have to explain this crap..

"This thread has strayed from OP's original question, which still hasn't really been answered."

then why did you even post bro? lol ahah and i gave him a better answer than anyone else here has tried to do..especially you!

16. thanks all...I understand ph better than i did...this will be very helpful as i grow

17. umm how bout when you said "organic plus organic/synth blend's..
    nutes dont just destroy microbiology they feed it."

and if you think you've given him a better answer then good for you. im gonna stick with my organics and you can keep buyin overpriced bottles. i just can't believe you think FF "has synthetic's to kill certain pathogen's, fungi and harmfull bacteria." lol orly? kinda like how microbes "need the acidic to live in the water.":rolleyes:

18. i just didn't use one of these bro( and ) and said (plus) omg..
    i use organic's and organic/sythetic blend's..
    not at the same time erereeeeeer....lol
    one or the other ...lol ahhaha

And i used FF as an example..i hate FF!! i don't use it in my grow's..
    i'm smart enough not to have to pay for nutes bro..
    i use many top brand's that are expensive as hell..but i don't buy them..
    lol if you only knew..lol ahaha
    i use DNF,Dutchmaster's gold line, Botanicare,root's organic's, general hydro, humboldt, humboldt county's own, advanced nutrient's and flairform...
    vitalearth and the guano company for my bat/seabird tea mixes..
    show's what you know..
    geeez wally! lol
    [​IMG]
    do you see any foxfarm?

most all nutes out today are a organic/sythetic blend..
    it's the micro's and nutrient base all in one! plus water already has microbiology present once you put it in your res! you would be very suprised what's in your water..
    ever saw a one part nutrient base? guess what, you still have to by the micro's and additives to put in there so yes..your nutes are feeding the microbiology in your water and medium of choice..they also supplement lost microbiology, wich dies from nutrient salt's! not the nutes them selves but there salty deposit's...

i like how you try and take phrases of my sentences out of context just to try and save face...lol
    damn you could at least be good at at or something...lol