pH question for NFT users

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by uksmoke, Feb 25, 2004.

1. good day!

I have grown NFT a few times quite successfully though recently i have read some conflicting advice regarding pH of nutrient solution.
    I have always tried to keep my system at round about 6.2 - 6.5, though have read many articles/threads that run systems at 5.5 - 5.8.
    When i mix up full strength nutrient solution (hard water specific) the pH is usually round 6.5 - 6.6 and i use minimal phosphoric acid to lower it just a touch.

Does anyone have any thoughts / experience regarding the ideal pH to prevent nutrient uptake problems??

Any help appreciated

2. HIGH All, well I don't do NFT...but I do Bubble Buckets and keep mine around 5.6 to 5.9..."they" say growing in soil (6.0 - 7.0) or a soiless mediums (5.2 - 6.5).

Here's a PH chart to help out.

Attached Files:

3. normaly i mix my nutes around the 5.5 mark and as the feed is taken from the water by the plant i let the ph rise to just over the 6 mark, 6.2 6.5 this way the plant gets chance to get all the trace nutes it needs.

i have been told off for doing this but as iv never bin able to keep my ph that stable i just think sod it, make it work for me.... and funny enough it works quite well for me.

4. thanks for the chart unoit.
    i've dropped the pH to 5.8 for the past couple of weeks - my girls love it

thanks again

5. fuck.... fuck fuck fuck... well thanks for the info guys now i gota drop my ph down a shit load cause its sitten at damn near 7 and that would explain the yellowness a LOT

6. yo man calm down your P.H will fluctuate but As long as it does`nt go over 7.0 or below 5.0 you wil ot lose your plants but to give them optimum P.H it should be 5.8 (with a tolerance of 5.5-6.5

As for the p.h down then use it a little at a time until you reach 5.8,& I mean a little at a time,The end of a standard pipet spike x 3 into 12 liters of water should bring the p.h down to a respectable level.

Keep an eye on you nutes man.