PH question for hydro grow in rockwool

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by chromeblazed, Aug 26, 2007.

1. what's the perfect PH level for starting seeds in rockwool?

2. I was just at the nursery today they had these jiffy discs 12 to a box. The assistant there said to just place the seeds on the top of the disc and then a little water and they expand so you can cover them with some starter soil the disc itself I imagine..I am still trying to figure out the best way to start them?? I am going to use the aero-grow unit ..What about keeping them in darkness in the beginning?? at which point should I use the lights? the aero-grow is more or less set to grow household herbs, Basil,etc.Peace,,Sugo:)

3. Those jiffy disks are made from peat. They are NOT suitable for planting in a hydro setup as they retain too much water. For that matter, a lot of growers don't like them because peat tends to be rather acidic and is also very high in nitrogen which, depending on how sensitive your strain is, can burn your seedinglings.

You're better off using rockwool, or going to a hydro store and getting some Rapid Rooter plugs.