pH/PPM Meter.. Please Help

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by 420OGKUSH, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Should I just spend the extra cash on a hanna combo meter or is there any cheaper way to go? I really rather spend less than $150 although I want something that's gonna last longer than a couple years. Is the hanna worth it?

2. Id say yeah. It will last a long time and you will be glad you spent the money.

3. Thanks for the response.. Is it easy to take care of?
    Anyone else?

4. I havent owned one but Ive heard nothing but good things about it.

5. I've got the hanna combo ph/tds/ec meter. Its east to calibrate and maintain. I'd suggest this one. Make sure you get all four solutions if you do (ph/ec calibration,storage,cleaning). You should calibrate it once a month and clean it once a month as well.I've ran out of the storage solution the most, so you may want to get a larger bottle of the storage solution.

Hope that helps.

6. I also have Hanna and I like it :wave:
    Here is the site where you can get it for $119 onlyHanna HI 98129 Combo Pen - Mitchell Instrument Company. Solutions can be purchased on amazon for $10 each ( 5 total), instructions that comes with the meter will tell you what solutions you need. ,calibration videos are somewhere in here or you can check you tube.

7. Thanks for all your help guys.. Can you let me know what ph/ec calibration to get?

8. i have a hanna combo meter and the Milwaukee combo meter im super anal about my growing so i cross reference and adjust pen before every feeding to make sure they are on point and not off, i have had my hanna for longer with not a single issue with it what so ever, my only issue is it is a pain in the ass to calibrate, and every week when i test it in 7.0 pH solution it is always off by a .1 to .5 and the hanna reads to the hundredth vs the milwaukee reads to the tenth. Now the Milwaukee i love, not going to lie they have a hell of a warranty i have had 2 replaced for free under warranty in the last 3 years, i would buy the Milwaukee again just for the warranty, and the Milwaukee is super easy to calibrate takes 10 seconds max........as far as calibrating all you need is General Hydroponics 7.0 pH solution it is super cheap and you get a big bottle ........and you do not want a cheap ph / ppm pen my friend grows with them and he has gone through countless pH meters, they are not even fully water proof....spend the 150 it is worth it or look for a used on on craigslist or from someone at a shop that is getting out of growing and has there stuff on consignment at a hydro store

9. These are the exact solutions that I work with.
    HI 70300 -Storage Solution
    HI 7061 - Electrode Cleaning Solution
    HI 7031 -Conductivity Calibration
    HI 7007 - PH 7.01 Buffer

That's basically all you will need to maintain your hanna combo pen.

10. You can also add HI 7004 PH 4.01 buffer for double calibration. First you calibrate with HI-7007 and then tester will ask you to use HI 7004.
    P.S. I calibrate my Hanna ones a month, so far so good, plants are looking good.