Ph pens?

Discussion in 'General' started by X1xeilverx1x, Mar 19, 2019.

1. so I had one of those cheap pens from amazon and i am thinking about a Bluelab ph pen for $80, any other ones worth considering, I only test ph every 3 days to make water... $80 for the minimum of a year use isn’t bad but anything better options would be appreciated... Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. If you want to buy a expensive ph pen or ppm meter bluelabs is top of the line. Dont need to keep searching for a better one if you're looking at bluelabs. There are other options that are cheaper but if you want the best brand then go bluelabs

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thats what i figured, i just wanted to see if anything else is reliable will last a year at minimum, and work just as well for less or same price,

4. Did your cheap pen stop working? My $10 pen lasted thru several grows.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It out right died on me, started going slow, then just started bouncing around on ph solution

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. I gave my pH pen away. I discovered an amazing thing - if I grew my herb in a rich organic soil, just like my veggies and flowers - that cannabis didn’t need all those expensive bottles and pH balanced grow and bloom nutrients - why would it??

Tap water worked just fine. Plain ol room temp tap water.

It became enjoyable to garden cannabis again. It was gettin old for awhile there treating it like it had special requirements for some strange reason?

But to answer the question, when I was using a pH pen I went with Hanna, it was reliable and accurate and like anything else you get what you pay for.

The last thing I wanted to do was spend $10 on a piece of junk I couldn’t rely on to be accurate.

J

• Like Like x 1
  7. I think of this all the time

Vegging outside the flower tent
    Vegging outside the flower tent

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. With all due respect Jerry, some people don't want to buy so much soil, especially with expensive soil like FF. That's when nutes become necessary.

9. Just a heads up, the pH will rise significantly after just 24 hours. You might want to check the pH level again before you water.

Btw, I also sold my german made, super accurate (and expensive) pH tester years ago. When you do it long enough, and always use the same ingredients, you know exactly how much pH down/up you need. I just use that cheapie tester kit (drops) from GH if for some reason I'm not sure bout something.

10. I have a echo tester around same price. Still works pretty good. Too bad blue lab doesn't make a truncheon 2 in 1 pH ppm meter. Mine is 5 years old and it does work pretty good. Acts up here and there and I calibrate here and there. If u get a ppm get a bl truncheon

Sent from my SM-G935T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. @Pistils -

I understand that what I do isn’t for everyone. I was definitely not referring to bagged/store-bought potting soil‘s but instead was referring to homemade organic soil that I construct myself, soil based on quality and puts such as homemade compost, Vermicompost, Kelp, neemcake etc.

A soil like Fox Farms would run out of steam much too quickly.

Thanks @Pistils

J

• Like Like x 1