PH or Light issue?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by jdmcwestevo, May 29, 2010.

1. i am using ebb and flow hydro these were rooted clones from a very reputable grower very healthy. i am using a 400w MH HID room temp is between 75-82* PH is between 6-6.5 might have been a little higher but i brought it back down. i watered down my nutes quite a bit as a precaution. using flora nova grow. at first did 1 tsp/gallon of distilled water. now its 7tsp/10 gallons. i recently topped them and LST. i raised the light up about 5 inches as well. if you can't see in the pictures it started with really light green colored new growth then tiny pin prick sized yellow spots followed by drooping of the tips. also this morning i noticed that small hole on the leaf. :( please help me

Attached Files:

2. You need the Ph around 5.8 for hydro. Don't think it's a light issue. Check for Spider Mites on the underside of the leaves. That could be what is causing the spotting. The leaf tip curl could be from overwatering them. How often do you flood?

Sounds like you might have multiple issues, but I would address the Ph and check for bugs first!

GOOD LUCK!!!:wave:

3. Flood every 12 hours for 15 mins should I be doing less

4. No spider mites or pest of any kind I changed timer to one 15 min flood a day and lowered ph a bit more how long should I wait to see a change new growth is still happening they grow fast as hell two leaves a day

5. Are you absolutely sure you don't have spider mites? Those leaves with all the little white dots on them look exactly like spider mite damage. Look on the underside of those leaves for little tiny black dots, like slow-moving pepper specks. The mites are tiny, if you have a magnifying glass or something like that use it to look on the undersides of those leaves.

6. ok so update i checked and MAYBE they were spider mites so i went to my trust hydro store and the guy there is like a hydro genius said it was spider mites got myself some pesticide and hit em last night checked again today lookin better got some new growth comming in im gonna spray them once a day for the next week and see if i have spots still so far the new leaves look good :D i'll put up pictures later today i just bent them back for LST so when they pick back up in a few hours i'll snap updated pictures thanks for the help everyone

7. #7 Antigen, May 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
    Hehe, I thought it looked like mite damage. Which really sucks, but at least you caught it while your plants are small and can be treated easily.

If what you're using doesn't clear them up (and it might not, spider mites can be hardy little fuckers), try Hot Shot No-Pest strips:
    [​IMG]

The strips release a poison into the air, so you need to have your lights, plants, & the strips in an enclosed, sealed area to allow the poison to build up to the correct level. This is great because as soon as eggs hatch and the mite tries to breathe the air outside the egg, it dies. You can open up the sealed area to water and check on the plants, but most of the time it needs to stay sealed. After 2 weeks with the strips wash your plants off very well with water to remove any residue and you should be good to go.

Since you have mites, you need to clean EVERYTHING in your grow area, including the area itself. Floors, walls, water containers, bottles of ferts & whatnot, etc. Hopefully you don't have carpet in there. If you don't do a thorough cleaning, you will just get mites again even if you clean them off your plants. Make sure YOU are clean as well before you go in your grow area or touch your plants. Wash your hands, and wear clean clothes and no dirty shoes in the grow area. I know it sounds like a ton of work and a huge hassle, but trust me, having the mites is worse than doing all of the stuff to keep clean. ;)

Also, the spots that are there will not "clear up" or go away, that damage is done and will remain. As long as you don't see new white spots showing up that weren't there before it is a pretty good sign that they aren't feeding anymore.

Their eggs can take a while to hatch as well, and most poisons don't kill the eggs, so I would keep up your daily treatment for 2 weeks instead of 1 just to make sure that every egg can hatch and get sprayed by the poison.

8. ok thanks for the help im blasting those fuckers with poison lol and i spray everything around the plants and tray and everything i caught a nice wiff of it the other day haha fucked me up. forgot to turn off the fan first. :rolleyes: and i also discovered the source of the mites i went by the place i got my clones from and they have the same spots on the mother plants so i guess i should have looked a bit closer. at least i know now.