PH Meter

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ThurgoodJenkinz, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Can all the PH meter's sensor dry out? Do the more expensive meter have only a metal probe. It is a hassle to constantly keep the ph pen submerged in solution, especially if I were to store it for an extended period of time. I don't want to spend 200 bucks on a meter that could possibly be dried out and useless. If this is the case, would it be better to stick with the cheaper alternatives?

2. amazon, ph /ppm pen combo, $35 shipped.

check my journal link below, i got a pic of my amzon set, work great and all i use is a packet of hanna 7.1 solution ($1 a pack) every weekend to keep my ph pen in check. I keep my hanna solution in a clean jar with lid, wide enough for my pen to dip into. it lasts a month worth of ph adjusting, just make sure you clean your pen well before dipping.

3. I have a couple of the yellow meters, What is happening to me is the sensor gets dried out, and then the readings are unreliable. I want to know if any of the more expensive meters do not have that cotton/fabric tip. I would spend more $$$ if I knew it would last a decade or more.

4. Get a blu lab ph pen.

5. These yellow pens dont have a cotton/fabric tip, its actuallt ceramic type of wick and as long and you rinse and dry after every use its fine. it may even turn a bit grey in color. its normal. also I ph calibrate every other week with hanna ph 7.1 solution, this is vital maintenance, dont skip or skimp here.

Dont be fooled my friend, you dont have to spend big bucks on meters just because others swear by brands and names. Ive been using these meters for a year solid now and have been very reliable.

the testers that have changeable tips are a marketing gimmic. not only do you need to keep the tip in solution, but if they dry completley they become very innacurate when remoistened. the tips will last a month or two then you need to spend another $20 on new tip.

the blue lab crap isnt nessesary lol its like using the space shuttle to crop dust. just another "sheeple" gimmick, everyone feels that superior technological trinkets will yeild them astronomical yeilds. not true, ive seen organic just water grows match/beat technological grows.

K.I.S.S

6. I started out with the milwaukee yellow pen 20 bucks from amazon. I used it for almost a year, I never stored it in water, just rinsed and replaced cap. It started giving me random reading, I have 4, 7, and 10 calibration solutions, i calibrated it each use and most of the time it would be .2 off at most, I assumed it was dead. Got another yellow meter, using it for a month or so, I've been placing water in cap to keep it moist, but it did dry out for a day once. I'm storing it in water and it is becoming about 1.0+ off overnight. I feel I'm getting inaccurate reading sometimes or have to calibrate it several times to get accurate reading. I assumed the tip was fiber of some kind and drying out stopped it from getting accurate readings. The tip is hard, I'm looking for less hassle and more accuracy. If bluelabs meters gonna give me trouble like this, I just keep my money or find something else.

7. I have a blu lab ppm and ph pen. I had a Hanna checker ph pen that lasted not even a year and it crapped out. I also got the cleaner and calibration solution so I won't have any issues.

8. My hanna combo meter dried out for 5 years and worked great after i soaked it overnight..had it 10 yrs and still works

9. my cheapo meter hasnt failed yet. 1 year six mo later...

smetimes you get a bad egg, sometimes its human error, sometimes its just luck...

you will hear a hundred diff answers on what ph meter is best, you tried cheap route, didnt work so go the $$ route, somethings gotta give, ya know? lol

10. My experience is as long as you soak your meter for about an hour in either a calibration solution or tap water it will be fine. Just do not use water that has been deionized.

11. Thanks everyone, sounds like the more expensive ph meters use the same technology, just higher quality. I'll stick with the yellow pen for now, maybe money will be better spent on other accessories.