PH Meter Question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by fdebozo, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ok, so i've bsaically noticed that whenever you're going to buy hydro gear, pretty much everything seems overpriced. case in point: at bghydro they tried to sell me a 150w hps bulb for 35 bucks... seriously.. i told the guy, "are you kidding me?" and his response is "no way man it's HID" to which i wanted to say "go fuck yourself" and punch him right in the face. i knew for a FACT that a 150w HID hps should be around 10 bucks at the MOST. turns out i can get them for about 6 bucks from 1000bulbs.com. it really pissed me off that whenever i go to specialty stores/website they grossly over price things just because they are made to be sold in grow shops... when the same product can be bought at a hardware store or just done DIY for 1/4 the cost or less.

my latest gripe is with ph pens. what the fuck are they so expensive for? i just found these ones, and i'd like to buy and test it out but i was wondering if there was any real difference between a ph pen like this, http://cgi.ebay.com/New-pH-Meter-Aq...ryZ58191QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem that says it's for aquariums and pools and something like this http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=TEHI981408&eq=&Tp=, a product which its only difference at face value is the actual price, which, in my opinion, at over 100 bucks is fucking bullshit.

thoughts?

2. lol ok though i'm REALLY glad i have no responses from noobs who THINK they know shit :rolleyes:, i gotta bump this for the people who actually might know something

3. To answer your question on that specific PH tester, YES it works fine. I bought that same tester from that same seller and it has worked perfect. I have had it about 3 weeks i think and I checked the calibration against a ph solution and it was dead on.

4. hey Jared, thanks for your response. I might get this meter and do a running test against a more expensive one (which I already bought-- doh!) but given that there isn't a huge difference, i'll never buy those marked up ones ever again

5. I have one like that too. I would recommend getting a waterproof one though. If that thing accidently gets some water in it, it won't work until it dries out. You should be able to find a waterproof one for around $20.

6. I have been in the market for a new PH meter as well, but like you said these Fuck heads at the Hydro stores wanna act like everybody who walks through the door is the next newbie who don't know shit and is just asking to be ripped off.....Well that's not me, I know my shit and who much it should cost. I mean its cool to get shit off the net but with shipping and handling sometimes it gos from a great deal to almost twice its original price and then you have to wait a week or so to get it. Sometimes I want what I need right then and there but I don't wanna pay an arm and a leg either. Hydro stores fuckin' suck!