pH lock out on a grand scale?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Dopehead_680, May 13, 2009.

1. #1 Dopehead_680, May 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
    Ok First.

soil: Fox Farm Ocean Forest
    nutes/feeding: 3 tsp fox farm grow big and 1.5 tsp thrive alive B1 once a week,
    6.5 H2O once in between. Plants take about 8 oz. a feeding.
    Pots: Solo cups (beer pong cups)
    lighting: 8 13w CFL 2 26w CFLs ofer 2 square feet kept within 2 inches off the plants
    temps: steady between 80 and 85 around 34% humidity
    Strains: Big Bang, El nino, Cheese, Church, Lemon Skunk, Gigabud, Thai Super Skunk, White Widow, Great White Shark, Himalaya Gold
    History: Purchased from Green House Seeds Co, germed in 24 hrs. planted in ffof. fed h20 two weeks, began nutes at 3rd leaf set(first 5 finger set), been clonning(two successful strings so far 6 clones of each plant are rooted and doing very well.

Last night they(bonsai mothers) were schedualed for a feeding, no nutes had been given for almost two weeks. They looked a little down, lower leaves exhibited chlorisis and some burning at the tips. Felt it was from a lack of nute as they had not been fed when shedualed anf instead were not given nutes until a week after. Gave 8 oz. of aforementioned nute mix.

This morning I notice things are much more severe. Watered with 6.5 run off 5.0!!!:eek: I did not feel i was over feeding, so i have flushed each plant with one litre of 6.8/7.0 H2O.
    Run off has gone from a pale yellow after adding pH test liquid to a golden yeloow after one litre, does not seem to be doing much.

No Dolomite and no ability to obtain any for at the least a day or two, any way i can use bicarbonate to raise my soils pH?!?!?!?!

I have a Pic of each, all are of varying intensity. I'm not goign to resize them so you can see some good detail.
    Cheese:
    [​IMG]
    Big Bang:
    [​IMG]
    Gigabud:
    [​IMG]
    Lemon Skunk:
    [​IMG]
    Great White Shark:
    [​IMG]
    The Church:
    [​IMG]
    Himalaya Gold:
    [​IMG]
    White Widow:
    [​IMG]
    El Nino(border line?):
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure these are classic signs of a lock out because it appears like three/four different deficiencies at once, N, P, and Ca/Mg?

Would like opinions A.S.A.P. please:). Spent a good 80 pounds!/100+USDA? on these seeds although I have some clones to fall back on I'd like to save these investments!

THANK YOU!!!!!
    ~pc

2. i think you may be overfeeding...3 tbs of growbig seems like alot to use at one time. i usally use like 1 tsp.

3. are they rootbound? look kinda big for red cups

4. ditto

5. #5 Ganja Guerrilla, May 14, 2009
    too much ferts for too little soil I see fert burn, most likely has thrown out the ph aswell

you can actually wash all the toxic soil from the roots under the tap then transplant to 1-5 gallon pots......they will rebound after you transplant

they are just dixie cups of soil, transplant & dont play chemist its safer and quicker rebound

6. #6 Dopehead_680, May 14, 2009
    thanks all.

n I dont use 3 tbs!!!!!

LOL i ment to write three tsp or one tbls per gallon.

7. you have two major problems: over feeding and too low of a pH. luckily, both of those can be fixed at the same time. you need to run some pH up solution through the soil, not just water....you could send 30 gallons of pH 7 water through and you may not see an increase in your soil pH. use some pH up. i like the All Natural pH up from Earth Juice (which is just potassium bicarbonate rather than potassium hydroxide seen in most pH up solutions). send some of that through until the soil pH is 6.5. Then send some pH balanced water through to flush out the pH up solution (3x's the pot volume). Now you've solved both the pH issue and any nutrient overdoses.

Consider getting bigger pots too, i'm sure they are severely root bound which doesn't help things...

good luck.

8. Those are hella root bound my friend.

I had 3 week old plants and half a 2 liter of soil wasnt enough, the root systems are way bigger than the plants.

9. No, they are not root bound, although it was against my best judgement I went ahead and did a flush of all soil on my Cheese plant, the worst looking one.

far from root bound, hell my prediction would be if today being day 57 of my cheese plants short little life I'd say it has at least a month r two before it needs a bigger pot.

I have definitely ruled out root binding way before even posting this.

Secondly, I'm aware what the problem is, reflection of the copious notes confirmed that on april 24 they were fed veg and then again on the 26th and on may 1st, I was going from memory which is obviously not very accurate.

My question is/was how can I if at all use Bicarbonates to buffer soil??

I'm an avid aquarist and have bicarbonates on hand for both marine and feshwater conditions, ones straight up Bicarbonates and should work although I do not know how to apply it, how much to how much soil.

thank you

10. #10 Ganja Guerrilla, May 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009
    Lime moves very slowly down through the soil profile so it is best to mix recommended amounts with the soil prior to planting

calcium carbonates....dolomite lime, (not hydrated lime it burns too quick)
    you can also dissolve it in water and water the soil for a little faster application

seriously transplant, your lack of roots will improve when they are out of that sour soil , when the roots improve the plant will improve & start growing, you need to transplant at some point

11. Let me ask. Are those regular sized part cups?

12. they are the red beer pong cups, about 12 oz. volume.

13. Transplant into bigger pots. Do not feed them until you notice new growth. I never feed my plants when they in the small containers b/c the chances of salinity are far greater. I would get them into at least 6" pots and keep the water around 6.5 until they pick back up.

less