Ph is dropping way too fast in DWC

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by sam853, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Hi! I am running a DWC system with one plant in each bucket of 5 gallon capacity with 4 gallon water/nutrients. Everything was working fine until recently where the ph drops from 6.1 to 4.8 in 12 hours. I have tried raising it but it drops again to 4.8 in 12 hours. Can anyone help me out in this?

2. What's your PPM's?

• Like Like x 2
  3. In most cases that happens when plants eat nutrients from the water, i have to correct my ph every 24 hours its normal, however giving us some additional information would help like, ppm, what stage is you plants in flower or veg, what temperature is your water, what nutes or ferts are using?

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. I agree with Calyx about nutes, if your plant is using them ..,ph is changing !
    pH is a measure of the H+ concentration, so you can see how the plant can affect it depending on what nutrients it is most using at any given time in the grow. For example, during the flowering period cannabis uses relatively more K+ than it did during vegetative growth. So the plant is putting out more H+ ions, which will cause the pH to drop.
    How often do you change nutrient solution will affect it as well...adding beneficial microbes will help if your showing signs of any root rot,
    .be sure water temp is in range, dont let any light in, black buckets painted flat white work well.
    Look into Advance nutrients , they claim their nutrients stabilize ph for up to 2 weeks.
    Good Luck !

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. My PPM stays almost constant around 350 and water level drops a little bit every day. My roots seem fine. But lately i had noticed whiteflies on my plant followed by ants. I have got rid of them for now. Do you think that a pest attack can lower ph? Now there is no pest attack but still the ph is not in control

6. Okay. I do realise that plants consuming nutrients will definitely affect pH but in most cases it is a slow process and also the pH tends to increase as a result. My pH changes whole 1 to 1.5 points just overnight and that too towards acidic side. My buckets are black with no light leaks and i am using General Hydroponics nutrients except the fact that my nutrient solution temperatures are way too high than what is recommended. But the roots are fine. They are creamish/whitish in colour. No signs of root root or algae. Is there any other symptom by which i can spot the disease early? My plant is in vegetative phase by the way and I change my solution every week. I have 2 air stones running in the bucket

7. How much does your pH wander off daily? Does it run towards alkaline side? Because that is the way it should happen. My reservoir temperatures are always hogh but my roots look absolutely fine as they have creamish white colour. General hydroponics nutrients is what I use. Only thing i have found different lately is whiteflies infestation followed by ants whiv i have successfully resolved using neem oil but still can not figure out the reason for such huge pH fluctuation overnight

8. My ph after top off is 6.0 in 12 to 24 hrs it drops to as low 4.0 sometimes, my girls eat 200 to 300 ppm a day im in mid flower

9. My ph stays the same with only a drift of about .2 +- in almost 48 hours. Your ppms stay at 350 even though your plant is uptaking water? Sounds like you aren't uptaking any nutes just H2O. I'd try a flush for a day and then make sure you get some hydroguard or something like it and play with your ppms. Sounds like your plant may like a different nute strength. My ladies started at 1/4 strength and never went above 1/3 strength through veg from 250ppm to 450 ppm and ended them at 850 ppm for flower. I also use filtered well water and GH trio with some advanced nute schedule. What's the temp of your res?

10. Ok.
    Ok.Yesterday, i increased my nute strength from 350 ppm to 830 ppm and the ph dropped from 6.1 to 5.3 in 18 hours. The drop was little slower than usual where the ph would drop to 4.9 overnight but it still dropped .8 in 18 hours. Do you think it is a sign that i should increase the strength further to around 1000 ppm? I am growing Okra and not MJ.....My res temps are always high around in 80s but as i said earlier the roots are fine, they look good with creamish-white colour

Also, is there a way a plant can actively lower pH so much for itself to absorb certain nutrients? Can this be happening?

11. Are you in flower?

12. I don't think so......I don't see any flowering symptoms yet. I think it will start flowering in 10 days or so but nothing as of now

Do you think i should put some H2o2 or bleach just in case there is an infection? I dont see any symptoms but would it be fine if i use any of mentioned above and runa sterile rez?

13. I use hydroguard for my veggies
    I haven't grown okra mainly just tomatoes and tomatillios
    I've heard some people using hydrogen peroxide but haven't tried that myself
    Unfortunately tomatoes grow like MJ, but I'll do some research later today to see if there is any of my knowledge that can help with okra..... Aka look through some of my hydro veggie books after I get back from the doc.

14. Well, thank you so much for your help. If this sorts out before any harm to my plant then it will be great. Thank you once again