Ph indicator advice needed

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Veeners5, Sep 26, 2009.

1. so i bought one of those pH, moisture and light probes at Lowes for like $10. Its the cheap, no batt. type. I put in my soil and it gave a pH reading of around 7.5. I then tested it in a glass of O.J. and it also read 7.5-8.0. So I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with these or are they just junk in general? Thanks everyone.

2. Idk much about them but I do know they have a calibration solution with a set ph you can check it on.

3. Not the probes that he is talking about. Only high-end, digital PH Pens use the calibration fluid

Scrap the probe, dude. It won't do you any good. I bought one as well and it never worked, even letting it sit in the medium for hours did no good. I just use it to stir up soil anymore...does a good job at that :)

So invest your money in either a high-end Ph Pen (Hanna brand is a good one) that'll run you around $50, at least.
    OR you can invest in some water droplets that are sold at the pet store/fish department...basically it is a testing solution and a vial to hold water. Add 3 drops of the solution in the water, and it will change color to determine Ph. They are accurate enough to help you work out any Ph issues, and will only run you $5. API is the brand name to look for.

Also, another option is to look for is Genearl Hydroponics...they also have a similar product, and you can find $15 kits that come with the test solution, and PhUP and PhDOWN product. A good deal, if you ask me.

4. I bought one of those 3-way testers from (I think) Active Air. It consistently gave readings below 6 and I knew that couldn't be right. Subsequent testing with tablets on both the soil and runoff showed ph in the normal range. When I returned the tester to the nursery the guy said no serious grower uses them.

5. I use the general hydroponics kit with the ph up and down

and it works... does the job... but im too anal... and it drives me crazy... I cant tell all the different shades of green apart... and I start freaking out

yes im a noob.

6. same with me. im spending my money on a digital ph meter

7. lol you'll get the hang of it. For the GH kit in the link I posted above, as long as the water turns yellow / yellow-green, you're all good. That should be 6.0-7.0 range, 6 being a 'simpsons' kind of yellow.

The API brand, which is meant for aquarium fish water, has colors that are much more similar than the GH kit...it gets easier to tell them apart as you keep using it, but at first it's a bitch.

Any questions on the kits/colors, throw me a PM. I use these things every day.

I'm too cheap to bust out the cash on a digital tester (it all went to other aspects of the grow)...you gotta buy that tester AND the calibration fluid, and I just don't have the funds for that shit, ya know, and neither do a lot of other people. Would if I could, though...if you've got the cash for a digital tester, definitely do it rather than settling for the drops.

8. Yep, I guess Ill go with the drops, too damn broke to spend $50 at one time. I could save but who does that anymore?

9. ... i do haha