Ph help !!!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Docautopot, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Went to feed the girls today and after adding all my nutrients and calmag together and ph my solution to 6.5 . I fed the girls and checked the run off ph and it read 5.4 , I calibrated my ph pen and still the same reading so I decided to flush . Eve. After flush my ph hovered around 5.8 I'm growing in fox farm coco loco and amending with fox farm trio can anyone help me with why my ph in the soil is so low and how I can get it back into range?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. For the record I flushed with water ph'd to 7 to bring up medium ph bit hardly seen any change, what could cause my soil ph to drop so low even tho I always watered at 6.5???

3. Fox Farms' suggested feed schedule for the Trio is quite high for most strains. When I ran FF, I cut it way down.
    When the runoff pH in coco is a lot lower than the input pH, it often means the nutes are too strong. Decent chance you are already seeing that in the way the plant looks.
    Unless the plants are looking nutrient deficient, I would mix a new nute solution that is weaker and flush the media with it, meaning water until there is a ton of runoff, then water a bit more. This will reset your rootzone. Don't flush with plain water, the dramatic EC change can cause damage at the cellular level, resulting in stunted growth or worse.
    Or, it just may be that you need to flush weekly with FF. I had to or the runoff pH on one big girl in a small pot would get down as low as 4.2. This was one of the reasons I eventually switched nutes to GH, which worked better for me in coco. Then later switched to Athena, and holy crap its the good stuff.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Guessing I need to make the switch to organic just seems like less of a hassle than worrying about salt buildup and all the other problems that come with synthetic . Do you have a organic nute line that you recommend?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. the fox farm bottled stuff especially the tiger bloom will drop the ph way down you can try adding ph up or just mix them half strength i killed 3 nice plants using that stuff

• Like Like x 1
  6. the fox farm bottled stuff especially the tiger bloom will drop the ph way down you can try adding ph up or just mix them half strength i killed 3 nice plants using that stuff

• Like Like x 1
  7. I don't have an organic recommendation, I do sterile root zone style grows, so the only thing alive is my root zone is roots. Plenty of folks here are super hip to organic nutes and methodologies though.

8. #7 GroBuddy, Aug 18, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    You're in coco not soil regardless of the organic material that's coco that ph isnt too low. Never flush just give correct ph itll work itself out. Most times flushing does more harm than good.

Ph should be 5.5-6.5 again your in coco not soil coco loco not happy frog, ocean forest, original blend, etc.

If you're supposed to treat coco loco like soil then I'd suggest you've been adjusting ph since day one. Which isnt advised when using organics as it will lower a already neutral ph, phing isnt needed in organics only when using liquid synthetic nutrients, once medium is depleted of organic nutrients. As long as the microbes and rhizosphere are active medium will stay properly ph. Given you're not growing a plant over like 6 months. In a small medium size pot ph can rise over time. More soil less issue

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fox Farms says not to read runoff for Coco Loco. They don't recommend ec or ppm due to particulate matter. Coco Loco is to be treated like soil with ph 6.3-6.8.

10. Make your own worm castings, and compost. Down to earth, dr. Earth and organic matter around me. Dont fall this rabbit hole is deep.

11. #10 GroBuddy, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  12. I would just put like a drop into a gallon lol

Sent from my SM-A536U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Gaia green is organic I believe

14. I was gonna say I thought Coco needed around 5.8-6.2 ph. I was told to treat it as if it was hydro/soiless

15. Sent from my SM-A536U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Hi...In order to get rid of all that work, I recently made the switch to organics after using GH's Flora Series quite successfully.
    Do yourself a favor - if you decide to change to organic growing, I suggest one of the best complete ready-made living soils - Coast of Maine's Stonington Blend Platinum Grower's Mix, along with three of their dry ammendments:
    1) Stonington Plant Food
    2) Worm Castings
    3) Fish Bone Meal
    4) Consider buying their Liquid Squid
    You'll regret the lack of real time control initially, but as the microbial magic begins to happen below the surface, you'll gain confidence in that invisible power and learn how and when to anticipate the needs of the plant in each stage of its life. Think top-dressing increased phosphorous levels one to two weeks before the plant enters flowering, to give the microbes and fungi time to break down those ammendments into plant available nutes.
    Pics are of my current single plant grow of LA Confidential in a 7 gallon cloth pot. She just entered her 4th week of flower with about 5 weeks to go.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Your worrying too much because you prob did too much. Your good, don't worry.
    How long have you had your plants in your coco mix before you started feeding?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Dr. Dave nice girls.. do seem heavy on the n? They're on par with mine I'm at 15 days.. take a peek and tell me what you think. How far into bloom do you prune? Been growing for 25 years now and I've learned that about 14- 20 days is ok and productive with good yieldsand little stress. I get 18- 20 oz off a 4×4 scrogg, I've used too many mediums to count but this is coco loco and it's hassle free- so nice to have a break from watering daily with plain coco/perlite! Anyway, just saw your pics and wanna pick your brain you seem knowledgeable and it's always possible to learn something new. I'm always curious about how ppl prune;) huh turns out I can't upload a photo!

Attached Files:

20. this was an old post but now that i have you I have 2 plants in coco loco in 5 gallon buckets just flipped to flower i have not fed anything but topdress and plain water and they look fine Am i supposed to use bottled nutes with this medium?