pH goes up over night

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by vittujoo, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Hey!
    I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times but I used search and didnt find anything immediately.

So my 5 three-week old plants are doing not so well. This is I'm sure because of pH problems. I am using hempy's 80% perlite 20% vermiculite. I havent checked the runoff as much as I should have. anyways last night i checked the runoff it was around pH 6.5 -6.7 eventhough a day before I had given them pH 5.8 water. So I flushed all tanks with Ph 5.6 water with lucas formula nutes. today in the morning i went to check on them hoping for something like ph 5.9 - 6.1. IT WAS 6.5 AGAIN! wtf!?

I really do not have the time to change the water every 12 hours. tap water ph where i live in europe is around 7.0 and it is very clean and drinkable. Should i start giving the plants ph 5.4 corrected water or something? perhaps then it would take two days to climb up to 6.5. I am confused as to why this is happening.

RH is around 50-65%, temps 25-29 Celsius (i think thats around 85 fahrenheit). Two of my plants are not growing at all, I suppose this is because of the ph. Others have nutrient deficiencies which i've tried to correct but I guess magnesium and calcium etc get locked out at high pH's and when the ph is going up all the time it's kind of a problem!

Thanks for any help is greatly appreciated.
    ps. I do not let the water stand overnight, i just take it from tap and correct it with pH- and mix nutes ( gh micro + bloom ).

2. Hi there, interesting sounding problem, are your plants using up the nutes perhaps? You may have a hungry bunch LOL

One suggestion is to leave a cup of the same nute formula sitting there overnight so you have a control to compare with. If your cup ph goes up with the hempy - it may be your water settling. If the cup stays ph'd, then it's something in your system.

Checking the ppm/EC will also provide some clues, if that drops from your plants' rez then they may be raising the ph simply by depleting the nutes.

Not real helpful I know, but it's at least something to check.

If you don't find a solution, hit up 1000hz, he has been growing in perlite (100%) hempy buckets for sometime and has them well dialed in, and he's a cool dude that will help I'm sure. Good luck!

3. Hey and thanks for your answer AskEd!
    I will do what you said, first try to put solution in another cup and see what happens. stupid me for not thinking about that :)

after that i will go bug 100hz ;)