PH Goes UP but Plants Not Eating

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Beachbound, Dec 20, 2011.

1. HI All,, I am a newbie to Hydroponics and transplanted my clones into the RDWC just over 3 weeks ago.

I did a water change last Sunday and increased the nutrient solution. I have had a heck of a time getting the PH down to the 5.6 range, and when I do, it just continues to climb until it hits about 5.8 then levels off and drifts up to 6.0 over night, and the PPM's dont seem to be changing at all? PPMs never seem to change and the plants look just fine and growing quite fast.

For example, yesterday morning my PH climbed to 6.0, so I PH'd DOWN to 5.7 with a PPM of 660 (.5 conv), and watched the PH climb to 5.8 by about 6:00pm.

This morning, my PH is at 6.0 and my PPMs are 657 (.5 conv) (with a margin of error in the reading, are the plants eating at all?)

NOW,, I know that the PH is supposed to climb (SLOWLY) and the PPM's are supposed to be about the same (if you have a balanced system), but I don't believe I am there. I believe my PH is climbing a little fast for the perfect balance, and I am trying to find out what my next step should be??

I also realize that 6.0 is not a bad place to be sitting, but that also means they are not getting the benefit of the lower PH Values. (again climbing too fast)

Do I just continue to PH Down every day, or Should I be increasing my Nute Strength?

VITALS as of This Morning (lights on)::
    PH = 5.96
    PPM = 657 (.5 conv)
    Air Temp = 70
    Water = 68.5
    Humidity = 42%

Roots look good
    Water is Clean and Does not smell rotten

Any Advice for me at this point :confused:

Attached Files:

2. What medium are you growing in?

3. Just Hydroton that was rinsed quite well, has been in there since day one, and never showed any signs of mucking/dirtying up my water.

4. [quote name='"Beachbound"']Just Hydroton that was rinsed quite well, has been in there since day one, and never showed any signs of mucking/dirtying up my water.[/quote]

Hydroton is very likely the cause. Search it and check the threads for proper rinsing and problems with rinsing.

5. Yep already been there and done that before even putting the Hydroton into the netpots. I just figured they would have stabilized by now, considering they soaked in PH water for about a week before entering the system.

6. up ur ppms by 50, they want more food....;)

dont adjust a 6.0 reading.. adjust when it gets higher then that..

5.8-6.0 acceptable... ;):D

7. Are you using AN Ph perfect?

8. Yes, I am using the PH Perfect M,G,B but only at 1/4 strength, along with some CalMag, B52 and Sensizym, which takes me up to 830ppms, but are not putting the PH at the perfect level. I was afraid the 830 would burn the plants, so I diluted with PH water to get down to 650ppms. I figured I would move up slowly.

I thought about upping my nutes a little to see if it was just the plants looking for more food. They seem to be taking to 650ppms with out any signs of burn, so I was going to up them this weekend anyway. Is it OK to add more now and move the PPMs up NOW?

9. I used non perfect for several grows and had experience similar to jakester's, my ph was at 5.6 for a week or more.

Just got sensi bloom perfect and overnight the ph rises to 6.0, so I called AN and they stated anywhere from 5.0 to 7.0 was fine and not to adjust it would screw up the buffers in the perfect.

I don't use calmag so take that in account but I would shoot for a EC of .8 to 1.0 then in flower 1.0 to 1.2>

But thspeed has completed a grow with perfect so I would listen to him.

10. hahahahaha, i don't know if i'd go that far

I drain to waste once a week

I mix per the schedule... and top off with R.O. water once a day...

thats it... im fairly certain thats what AN says to do... could be wrong...

OH and I only use G/M/B.... nothing else, yet(soon to be using hobbiest)

11. Are you using calmag with your base?

12. ill assume your talking to me....

I only use G/M/B..... nothing else.... and I have not monitored PH/PPM in a while.... so i couldn't tell you numbers... i've been going lazy style for a while now

so i guess your answer is no.... but my PPM of my water is usually single digit

13. oh... you might wanna read jakesters post... according to AN if you use anything, ANYTHING, other than whats in the bundles your PH perfect is not guaranteed to work

he explained it better than i did.. so shoot on over and read what he wrote

14. Yes,, thanks for the reply,

I did read what he got about the an nutes, so now we know.. I guess i will cut out the calmag and see what happens. only using small amount right now.