PH for soil/coco mix?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Ramesses1189, May 25, 2020.

1. Hey guys,

I’m running a medium comp. of...
    40% FF ocean forest
    40% coco
    20% perlite
    @ 6.5 ph feed

what do you think should be the best ph for this medium composition??

thanks!
    Rams

2. #2 GorillaGherkin, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Never heard of ppl doin that usually it’s coco hydro or soil. If I were to make a guess I’d say 6.5 treat it like soil the coco is just gunna absorb water in my opinion so careful with over watering or salt build ups.
    Are ya doin a outdoor grow or dealing with high temps? Why are ya choosing to add coco to soil? Not knocking ya just curious.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Are you planning on transplanting to a mix, soil, or coco, for the final container? That would be the deciding factor.
    I started seedlings in 50/50 happy frog and tupur and plan on going to just coco afterwards with coco nutes.
    So I’m keeping mine close to 6.0 as that is the preferred balanced ph for coco and still on the lower acceptable end for soil.

4. I’m doing indoor In 3gal smart pots.
    temp: 68-78 So not terrible I don’t think.

I’m doing coco/soil/perlite for aeration and have worked before but never with these strains. FFOF is also super hot at first so I decided to cut it to make it less so. I’m thinking about switching to 60%FFOF 20%coco 20%perlite and ph at 6.2. What do you think??

5. dunno man but if it’s worked n the past go for it.

6. i was thinking....
    Solo cup for clones with
    25% FFOF
    50% coco
    25% perlite
    Feed with 5.8-6ph water for 1-2weeks (FFOF should provide enough nutes til transplant.)

Then, transplant to 3 gal smart pots with
    60% FFOF
    20% coco
    20% perlite
    Feed 6.2ph water while veg for a week and switch to flower. Start light flower feed on week2 of flower.

what do you think?

7. If you going mostly soil I’d up it more to 6.5. But I’ve never done that and this is the first time I’ve done the soil coco mix also. Just go with what majority of the medium is and go with that. But if it goes bad just adjust the ph as necessary.

8. Sounds good! Thanks!!
    Check this out for fun on PH
    New Research Results: Optimal pH for Cannabis

9. Best off picking one or the other mate. Soil works best without coco and coco works best without soil. 2 opposite media.
    Soil needs a dry cycle but if you dry coco out you get salt build up and fry the plants. Need different ph levels too.
    Youd make life a hundred times easier if you ditched the soil.
    Piece of piss growing in coco

10. Awesome! Thanks for the advice Spanish. One more thing. What is the least labor intensive and most inexpensive indoor growing options in your opinion?

11. Its a coin toss mate.
    If you find someone with a good organic, living soil and copy EXACTLY what they do then you can just feed water. Maybe have to give the odd banana tea or somethin like that.
    Takes a bit of finesse to make a propper soil though. Nowhere near as easy as it sounds for most methods i see on here.

Soil with liquid nutes is about as difficult as life gets imo.

My personal favouite is coco. Just feed weak nutes in mass volumes from a recirc pump and you can pretty much just forget about them.
    Stick a couple drops of ph down in a tub once a week and they look after themselves.
    No handwatering, no run off to deal with, almost zero waste, and most importantly as long as the nutes are weak theres almost nothing that can go wrong.
    Autopots are even easier. Bit pricey though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Listen to Spanish. He knows his shit. I’m still learning.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Would it be okay if I transplanted my girls into just FFOF/perlite from my FFOF/coco/perlite mix? I want to stop mixing in coco but I don’t know if it will negatively effect my girls. They are almost ready for their second and third sets of true leaves. Still quite small

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. It SHOULD be fine. The coco already there shouldn’t have any negative effect mixed in

15. My first grow here, I didn't know better, this is what I used. 10 parts FFOF
    4 parts coco
    2 parts perlite
    1 part vermiculite
    1 small jar Great White Myco
    I've had a few issues, but soil hasn't been one of them. I feel the pot weight, do the first knuckle dry check, but I still won't water until I see the bottom leaves start to droop. Paranoid because I read that the MOST common problem is overwatering, so I wait until I see some droop. That way(in my head) I know that the roots are ready for water. I didn't use as much coco as you did, but it hasn't been a problem here, hope yours works out for ya.

16. Oh and I always water at 6.5, or as close as possible.