PH Fluctuation has me stumped

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Ganjohn420, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Hi, everyone, this has been making me go nuts the past 3 days. I have seedlings in a flood table and a 18 gallon rubbermaid res. The seedlings are in rockwool and I flushed the rockwool with 5.5 a day before use. I'm using new RO water everyday it comes out my tap at around 5.2 I adjust to 5.5. I have a res full of RO water that I keep it always has the same PH 5.2 or 5.1. But Everyday my seedling res has been jumping up to 6.5 to even  7! At first I thought it was the rockwool but last night I drained res filled it with adjusted water that had been out all night so can't be chlorine. To test I didn't water at all with that water, it just sat in the res. Today the PH is 6.6 again, WTF!? In the res is a 360gph pump and an airstone and the res has a lid does anyone have any idea what might be happening? 

2. Make sure your PH meter is calibrated correctly 

3. Yes, I forgot to add that I had been calibrating it each day because I was so frustrated, but thank you. Do you think its possible that duct tape would raise the PH? I have duct tape for a hinge on a flap I cut in the lid. Sometimes when filling up, the water washes over it a little.

4. How old are the filters in your RO set-up? Nutrients being used?

Sent from the stoner cave

5. No nutes right now for the seedlings, and I have no idea how old the RO filter, it was given to me by a friend. Thank you because now that you say that I really should check them. The only reason I don't think the filter could be the problem is that any other water that comes out is 5.2 and stays there. I have a 30 gallon res I use to fill my other room as well and the PH stays constant. But now that you mention the filters I am gonna change them, do you know if bad filters will cause deficiencies or toxicity? Am using well water btw.

6. No nutes right now for the seedlings, and I have no idea how old the RO filter, it was given to me by a friend. Thank you because now that you say that I really should check them. The only reason I don't think the filter could be the problem is that any other water that comes out is 5.2 and stays there. I have a 30 gallon res I use to fill my other room as well and the PH stays constant. But now that you mention the filters I am gonna change them, do you know if bad filters will cause deficiencies or toxicity? Am using well water btw.
    </blockquote>
    You should be able to see how far gone they are by checking your ppm's. My ro is about 7ppm (not well water) and i change the filters every few months and change the membrane once a year.

So before sending you on a wild goose chase start with the basics, water and then environment. Make sure those are in line then move forward. Time to blaze and check back later :D

Sent from the stoner cave

7. Change your RO filter, use double ph and PPM meter.

8. The PH has stabilized so far, I should have posted this but didnt wanna bump my topic. Somewhere along the line my human error must have occurred, all the equipment is in check, it musty have been something on my part. But currently the PH is sticking at 5.6 and I'm happy. Just have to be more careful next time!!

9. Good to hear

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Thank you for your help smokin5280, I just put in my new membrane and it's workin great!

11. Good to hear. Sorry for the slow response, been busy and flashed a new ROM and forgot to log back into the GC app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using Grasscity Forum mobile app