PH confusion/problems

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Frank420, May 8, 2011.

1. Hi, I've got a few plants going right now (check out my journal if you like) and I'm struggling with ph. Try as I might I just can't seem to grasp it. I've read a few stickies but it's just not clicking for me.

I know 7.0 is neutral and you should always ph your water to 7.0 when you water, right?
    And if so, when you're feeding, should you adjust the ph of the feeding solution to 7.0 as well?
    Also, I fed one of my plants today, (I just started flowering today) some tiger bloom and bud candy. After I fed I tested the run off water and it was around 5.0.....what does that mean? Is it bad?

Bahhh, maybe I'm over thinking all this ph stuff but its something that's always on my mind so I figured I'd ask the pro's. Thanks!

2. How did you test your Ph Digital or eye dropper method. Ph for bud should be 6.3-6.8. 6.5 is golden. Your getting nutrient lock out with a ph of 5.0. buy some ph up/down too.

3. First off, there are two important pH readings; that of the soil and that of the liquids you water/feed with. The soil, if a different pH than the liquids, will change the pH of any liquids you give the plants.

When you tested the runoff, did you test the pH of the fertilizer solution before watering? You would need to know the original pH of the liquid you gave the plant in order to know how much the soil changed it.

Testing runoff when you water can give you a pH reading anywhere between the liquid's pH and the soil's pH. If you let water sit in the soil for an hour or so and then squeeze a few drops out to test, you'll get a much better reading of the soil's pH. Just make sure of the water's pH before you wet the soil.

You're not overthinking pH. It's important. Once you understand it better, getting the pH right will become second nature to you and less thought or work will be required.

4. #4 Frank420, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
    Hmmmm, that's a lot of good info, thanks guys. So if the water going in is 7.0 and the water coming out is 5.0 what does that mean?

5. It means the soil is acidic therefore making the water you put in the soil the same. What kind of soil did you use. Fox Farm comes with its ph balanced between 6.3-6.8.

6. Let's put it this way- if the water going in is pH 7 and it sits long enough in the soil that the pH's of the two are the same, then you squeeze out a few drops that test 5.0, that means your soil's pH is 5.0. This is because you're using a neutral solution. The pH of pure water is labeled as "7.0" but it helps to think of it as zero with negative numbers being acidic and positive being alkaline.

However, if you water with pure water and immediately some runs out the bottom, that runoff just found a channel through the pot and never took on the pH of the soil. That water will likely test at or near pH 7, no matter what the soil's pH is.

7. Low is acidic, high is alkaline. A orange is acidic it would have a low PH. Baking Soda is a base it would have a high PH.

8. Ok, good, I think I've got all the info I needed to get a more accurate ph reading!